Recommended Posts

Could be a buckled rim. I had this on a beemer some years ago now, both nearside rims were bent from hitting potholes and caused wobble/vibration at certain speeds. Had them straightened and it was much better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to have the 4 wheel alignment done again by a much better company, one which all the dealers recommend and it was slightly out, but it hasn't made any difference.  So for the sake of £300 including taxes and shipping I've just ordered from Rockauto both lower control arms and both lower ball joints. This is the area that I feel the problem is.  So I'll have two new ball joints and four new bushes.  For what they cost it's worth a try.  That means I'll have replaced the majority of parts bar inner and outer tie rods and upper control arms.  They'll be next if necessary.  I'm determined to get the steering to feel the way it should! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this morning I finished replacing my bottom ball joints and lower control arms and new bushes.  Although the steering now feels a bit tighter I've still got the wobbles!  A fairly straightforward job, made much easier having an air impact wrench. I'm guessing I need to get the castor setting checked now so I may just get the wheels balanced again just in case. For the time being I'll just keep below 65mph!   I had a good check of the wheel bearings and they seem absolutely fine.  I also cleaned the disc mating surface. Not much left to replace now at the front end!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am surprised that the bushings came with the wishbone.... its a nice touch.

Did you find anything about the job difficult? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skyway said:

I am surprised that the bushings came with the wishbone.... its a nice touch.

Did you find anything about the job difficult? 

There wasn't anything too difficult really, but as I say, having an impact wrench was a real bonus. On the first side breaking the main lower ball joint took most effort but when I did the other one I realised I could leave it attached and remove the two parts together.  The old bushes were starting to crack and the ball joints, although decent, were much easier to move than the new ones. The track rod ends were fine and with no play within the rack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Well this morning I finished replacing my bottom ball joints and lower control arms and new bushes.  Although the steering now feels a bit tighter I've still got the wobbles!  A fairly straightforward job, made much easier having an air impact wrench. I'm guessing I need to get the castor setting checked now so I may just get the wheels balanced again just in case. For the time being I'll just keep below 65mph!   I had a good check of the wheel bearings and they seem absolutely fine.  I also cleaned the disc mating surface. Not much left to replace now at the front end!

Phil

As I said when I had the same problem my wheel bearing checked out ok, but it was only when I changed them that the problem disappeared. At £32 each it's worth a try.

John N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, John N said:

Phil

As I said when I had the same problem my wheel bearing checked out ok, but it was only when I changed them that the problem disappeared. At £32 each it's worth a try.

John N

Thanks John, I'm going to get the alignment rechecked this week and when it's there they can do another balancing check, if that doesn't produce anything I may we'll go down the bearing route.  Did you fit them yourself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Well this morning I finished replacing my bottom ball joints and lower control arms and new bushes.  Although the steering now feels a bit tighter I've still got the wobbles!  A fairly straightforward job, made much easier having an air impact wrench. I'm guessing I need to get the castor setting checked now so I may just get the wheels balanced again just in case. For the time being I'll just keep below 65mph!   I had a good check of the wheel bearings and they seem absolutely fine.  I also cleaned the disc mating surface. Not much left to replace now at the front end!

Phil

As I said when I had the same problem my wheel bearing checked out ok, but it was only when I changed them that the problem disappeared. At £32 each it's worth a try.

John N

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Thanks John, I'm going to get the alignment rechecked this week and when it's there they can do another balancing check, if that doesn't produce anything I may we'll go down the bearing route.  Did you fit them yourself?

No I got a local trusted mechanic to fit them, it took him less than an hour for each one.

They are straight forward to change, the only problem being the old bearings become solidly sezed in, and are hard to remove. The mechanic had to use a blow torch to get them out. You could try soaking them in Plus-gas for a few hours.

John N

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did my front bearings hardest part was getting the abs connector off mine was stuck like someone had used Weetabix as glue (TBH I think it was more to do with my eye sight and not seeing which way the clip was meant to be pushed.)

I took off the 4 bolts from behind and one side just fell out.... the other I lovingly caressed with a hammer not hard just a couple of taps... and it fell out.

You might find this helpful. I would not have any hesitation in doing a front wheel bearing again.... rears though might send me to the corner of ta dark room rocking.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.