Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

rc f sport was a disappointment

As it says, I finally went to a dealer to have a play in the rc f sport, I have liked the looks and it was time to see what it was like. This was a 67 plate in white which looked very nice with red leather in side. after getting to know the controls decided to give it some in sport mode and yeah it pulls well but the sound of that weedy engine.....what have they done to it, it sounded naff, no exhaust sound as I had the windows down to listen to nothing apart from some sort of engine up front, not impressed by now at all so went down some country roads and kicked its arse. Its got the power and handles well but I just listen to that weedy sounding engine, A four cylinder one at that, not even a V6 sound. I drove back to the dealer and parked it up very disappointed to say the least..  The sales guy was very keen to ask what I thought and all I said was its not for me as it sounds like a 1.6 corrolla . He then tried to tell me about the button on the left somewherre that you can get some sort of sound to come through the speakers to make it sound good.... Nope from me I just don't want one now...... So the RCF guys what does the 5.0L sound like and not with artificial sound through  the speakers???

If your going to get some sort of sporty car its got to sound good just like the old straight 6 or V6 engines... or even the V8 engines.... what is happening to the old engines 

• Like 2

The RC-F sounds awesome. Take one for a test drive; stick it in Sport or Sport + rev it past 3000rpm and see for yourself.

There are some on the F forum who insist that an aftermarket exhaust is needed, but I think they are slightly deranged (though deranged isn't all bad, their videos do sound epic) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am surprised no one else has commented on my post but has anyone else driven the rc f sport,  and felt the same as me...

well I certainly am going to have a drive of the RCF if I dont have a play in one of them it will be a GSF  I am wanting the V8

On 7/17/2020 at 10:22 PM, whiteman said:

A four cylinder one at that, not even a V6 sound. I drove back to the dealer and parked it up very disappointed to say the least..  The sales guy was very keen to ask what I thought and all I said was its not for me as it sounds like a 1.6 corrolla . He then tried to tell me about the button on the left somewherre that you can get some sort of sound to come through the speakers to make it sound good.... Nope from me I just don't want one now...... So the RCF guys what does the 5.0L sound like and not with artificial sound through  the speakers???

If your going to get some sort of sporty car its got to sound good just like the old straight 6 or V6 engines... or even the V8 engines.... what is happening to the old engines 

Am I missing something here?? its a 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engine so why expect a 6 or 8 cylinder engine sound from it?

the best sounding 4 cylinders in my books are that of Honda high revving engines all these modern 2.0 turbos don't rev that high to off that sporty sound..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, noby76 said:

the best sounding 4 cylinders in my books are that of Honda high revving engines all these modern 2.0 turbos don't rev that high to off that sporty sound..

And let's not forget the 2.0 L Subaru flat 4 turbo, especially with the Prodrive Performance Pack. The sweet spot was the 2004 WRX, which sounded sweeter than the higher bhp STIs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MNMJ said:

And let's not forget the 2.0 L Subaru flat 4 turbo, especially with the Prodrive Performance Pack. The sweet spot was the 2004 WRX, which sounded sweeter than the higher bhp STIs

eargasims.. 👍

8 hours ago, MNMJ said:

and what about the Alfa Romeo 2 ltr 4 cylinder with dell orto carburettors as used in th giulias and gtvs from the 70s and 80s?  

20 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

and what about the Alfa Romeo 2 ltr 4 cylinder with dell orto carburettors as used in th giulias and gtvs from the 70s and 80s?  

That will do nicely too

This thread made me think about the "mechanical connection" you can have with your car. The sound of the air intake, exhaust, mechanical noises, vibrations smell of warm oil, the metal on metal feel of the gearstick the biting of the clutch pedal on the right moment. I feel this with some cars more than with others but dont have it with EV s  ( my children dont have it at all for them choosing a car is choosing between a Siemens or Miele refridgerator, they just dont get it) I  drove an IS300H for 4 years and liked the engineering and idea behind it. Great for silent in town driving or effortless cruising on the highway. It has thesame powertrain as the RC300Hfsport and one only has to look at the specs to find out it wont be a rocketship with weight as a main factor. It looks fantastic though is relatively fast and fuel economy is likely to be only half of the 8 cylinder nephews. And from an IS200D its a big step up the ladder!!     

• 2 weeks later...

Its a real shame they do not offer an "intermediate" spec in the UK.

Like a fully petrol RC350 or something.....those of us that feel an RCF is just a little too extreme (price and running costs), but need more than a 4cyl hybrid (no good for petrol heads)......

Currently the dilemma I am having, can you tell? lol

The RC isn't a sports car to start with, it's a luxury GT with a nod to sustainability.  For long journeys it's a great place to be.  I have a Civic FK8 type r and that does "kick arse" but for a day out, I'd take the RC.

The whole appeal of the hybrids is to waft in comfort

Now considering you have what looks like the worst engine ever put inside a Lexus, I don't think there's any real justification for saying an RC300h sounds weedy...... 🤣

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@whiteman - I did quite along test drive in one and was extremely disappointed with. Most complaints were specifically with how "trashy" it sounds, it think "weedy" is a compliment for that car. Well or I guess you have not pushed it far enough - sounds starts off with being disappointing when you push it halfway and turning into outright awful when you give it a proper go.

Obviously, on top of that I was not keen of how slow it was and other things...

Really really disappointing car to drive - it looks amazing when stationary, but as soon you start going it does not take long to realise it is "all just show and no go".

RC200t is slightly better in that regard, sounds slightly better, has a little bit more power, has unreasonable fuel consumption - literally higher than 5L RC-F and at the same time is even less reasonable purchase (to my dismay),