Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS600h front knocking and bouncy shock.

Hi All,

my 600h when going over bumps makes fast knocking noise. Mechanic checked and all arms etc seem tight.

When i push it down i noticed left side is more bouncy than right side.

so I guess shock is away and this is what causing knocking noise ?

Thanks

The shocks can cause a knocking, but my first port of call would be the drop links, and anti roll bar bushes for the knocking. The fact that the car continues to bounce more on one side does suggest the shock is worn. However it would be wise to replace both sides together.
It is very difficult to check the drop links with both ends of the links still attached to the suspension. If one end of the link is undone, and either of the ball joints on each end can be articulated easily with your fingers the joint is worn out even if there is no apparent play. 
The anti roll bar bushes should have virtually no movement between the bush, and the roll bar. If there is I found a fix is to remove the bush, and where it is split to allow assembly cut about 1/8" out of the split. Then refit With a packing strip of plastic or metal about 1/8" thick under the flat end of the bush. This will remove the play.

John.

• Like 1

Last year I had a knock when I hit bumps, all seemed ok joint/bush wise. When I bounced the corners one at the front was kaput.  You shouldn't be able to really bounce the corners other than the usual slight movement.  When I removed the shock the air bladder was ok but oil poured out of the air connection.  I now have 4 new ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, katana92_uk said:

all bits are solid and tight so i think it must be shocky 😞

When I bought mine one rear corner was bouncy and there was lots of oil misting on the shock, but the front had no visible tell tale sign, just very easy to bounce.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Katana, did you ever find out what the cause of your knocking was? I think i have a similar issue as you described on the front left/passenger side of my 600hL, and my garage say the drop links and ball joints etc are fine. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links