Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus diesel engine stalling after ignition+ruff idle

Hello fellow Lexus owners!

I'm new here and came to this forum looking for advice as other mechanics in my city have been hopeless in solving this mystery. I am quite a beginner to car mechanics so any help would be appreciated

I drive a 2007 Lexus IS 220d and the problem is that after ignition the engine stalls after about 10 or so seconds. After re-ignition the same problem sometimes happens again, sometimes not. Sometimes its possible to press the accelaration pedal to "catch" the moment of the stalling and get over it (in this case the engine does not stall anymore). In time this has a huge load on the Battery and I had to change it once already.

Also, the idle RPM is ruff at times and even in the summer the RPM sometimes jumps to 1,2k in the beginning (I was told this is just a way for the engine to heat up more quickly but as it is summertime now and about 23 degrees C, I don't think this should be right).
The DPF has been removed and the EGR valve has been switched off. No check engine lights for this as well so not possible to see issue via OBD.

Thanks for any help!

the CPU will self regulate the engine idle speed, which varies depending on electrical load .. so if you have your air con running then it will slowly ramp it up to ensure the charge rate is sufficient for the load.

I wonder about the fuel supply.

One thing I have found difficult is the service of the fuel filter, in a really difficult position, took me the best part of a day to change.  I would be surprised if many garages did it due to the time/effort.... but a clogged filter and/or saturated water trap might be a reason for poor supply resulting in an unstable idle.... sadly, there is no easy way to check, without draining the water trap and replacing the filter.

Diesel engines are compression ignition so the injectors must be in good condition and the fuel pump must deliver the fuel at the right pressure. The fuel filter as another learned member pointed out is also very important.

Another important factor is the injection timing of the engine. A clean air filter goes without saying. A clean exhaust is also very important for any engine.

Starting from doing the simple and easy checks I would then have the injection timing checked and then the fuel injectors operation and the fuel pump pressure delivery. 

Chris.

Diesel engines are best suited for heavy loads (Trucks & Trains!), constant revs ( Generators & Pumps) extended durations ( Ships and Boats) Not really suited for a small vehicle doing a school run/shopping and with Stop/start attached!!! You will get problems and they should not really be a surprise, I blame the gov/manufacturers as not really fit for purpose and sold to ‘wrong’ end users.

I do regret not getting the IS250, but I only drive motorway miles and I have no complaints with my oil burner... quick, quiet and smooth... but most of all really reliable and simple to maintain better than any petrol car I've had before.

Keen to know where this problem goes... I fear is it a long term maintenance issue.. no car survives well if not maintained.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links