Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is300h F-Sport Tyre recommendations - need quick answer please :-S

Hi All,

I was hoping to get a recommendation on tyres to use on my 2014 IS300h F-Sport.

Took it for service at Lexus over the weekend and one of my tyres is quite worn on the inside. Booked it into Kwik-Fit and used their tool to find the correct size based on make and model (225/40/R18 Bridgestone Turanza T005 good for the front and the back per their tool). Turns out that's wrong (should have checked the wall) for the back they're actually 255/35/R18 and the ones I currently have are Bridgestone Turanza ER-33 with a nice protective lip to protect from curbing - the T005s do not have such an advantage. The ER-33 are on all my wheels currently with a slightly different size on the front.

I can order them and they can fit it but it will cost about £100 more than the ones that were previously suggested which isn't too bad (but not great).

My issue however is that they seem to be terrible tyres from the ratings - F for efficiency, C for wet and I've seen a few user reviews from different sites saying they are bad in the wet and common for aquaplaning.

I've had my car almost a year and never experienced any issues but now thinking is it worth spending so much on what seem to be terrible performing tyres (mainly in the wet) with the only plus point being that they are hard wearing? May favourite tyres of all time are the Good Year Efficient Grip (but they don't seem to be produced in this size).

So my question are:

1. Should I stick with the ER-33s as they may be better than suggested in the reviews for people who have IS300h and have used them longer than I have?

2. Or should I change and if so can anybody suggest an actual tyre to go with which has the protective lip over the alloys as well?

I need to change the tyres quite quickly and get it booked in before the weekend (MOT)  so quick responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Ken 

i do like the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 tyres and the prices online are really good at kwikfit

good wet braking ,good fuel economy and they are quiet on the road everything you would want

front tyres.jpg

rear tyres.jpg

Just had the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5s fitted.

Great tyres!

Can be had for a good price at Costco when on offer. I had 4 tyres fitted for £312.

1 hour ago, 200h said:

i do like the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 tyres and the prices online are really good at kwikfit

good wet braking ,good fuel economy and they are quiet on the road everything you would want

front tyres.jpg

rear tyres.jpg

I've just looked these up and seem to be a good choice - can you confirm if they have the rim protection? I can't seem to find anything conclusive. It would be nice to have a quieter tyre as the reviews suggest this is and lastly is it good for cornering?

Thanks!

Ken  

58 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Great tyres!

Can be had for a good price at Costco when on offer. I had 4 tyres fitted for £312.

Thank you! Will look into these also.

7 hours ago, Ken83 said:

I've just looked these up and seem to be a good choice - can you confirm if they have the rim protection? I can't seem to find anything conclusive. It would be nice to have a quieter tyre as the reviews suggest this is and lastly is it good for cornering?

Thanks!

Ken  

from the images i have seen it doesnt look like they do have rim protection

2 hours ago, 200h said:

from the images i have seen it doesnt look like they do have rim protection

Ah ok - I assumed you had them on already?

Ok, will look into it further.

Thanks

Ken 

i had them fitted on my CT, on my 1st IS300h i had michelin cross climates

and when i need them on this car i will go for the dunlops again

at the end of the day tyres will cost what tyres cost

imo there is no point buying a tyre that doesnt have

low road noise,good fuel economy & good wet braking

as you buy a hybrid for the quietness & good fuel economy

and who does'nt want to know they can stop in the wet

i would rather pay more and know i will be happy with the tyres

as you are going to have them for a few years

my car was 3 in may 2020 and i'm still on the original tyres

at 25500 miles

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 200h said:

i had them fitted on my CT, on my 1st IS300h i had michelin cross climates

and when i need them on this car i will go for the dunlops again

at the end of the day tyres will cost what tyres cost

imo there is no point buying a tyre that doesnt have

low road noise,good fuel economy & good wet braking

as you buy a hybrid for the quietness & good fuel economy

and who does'nt want to know they can stop in the wet

i would rather pay more and know i will be happy with the tyres

as you are going to have them for a few years

my car was 3 in may 2020 and i'm still on the original tyres

at 25500 miles

Excellent - thanks Mark. I've ordered them to be fitted on Thursday -  £430 all in from Kwik-Fit. I'll call them in advance to verify it has rim protection ahead of time. But yes, totally agree why jeapordise the safety of the family for a few quid?

Cheers,

Ken 

• Like 1

on the ct i had oem yokohamas they where sooo loud it was weird having the dunlops

fitted as the cabin noise had been reduced by so much.

enjoy your tyres

18 hours ago, matt8 said:

Great tyres!

Damn you Matt! they had 255's listed? The 225's no probs but they didn't list the 255's - Great tyres I have had them on all my cars from S2000, Civics etc when they first started the F1 (GSD3) - The IS rides alot different now and tons quieter

2 minutes ago, Andrew888 said:

Damn you Matt! they had 255's listed? The 225's no probs but they didn't list the 255's - Great tyres I have had them on all my cars from S2000, Civics etc when they first started the F1 (GSD3) - The IS rides alot different now and tons quieter

Don't be making me second guess my decision Andrew 😄 

3 hours ago, Andrew888 said:

Yes Andrew! I had to order them in store and there was a lot of uncertainty over whether they'd turn up. But lo and behold, after a week, they arrived in store.

Being the rarer size, they were much more expensive, but still, after discount, all 4 tyres for £312 fitted.

What's online and what's in store is very different I have learned. In store is much better. Better prices and better availability. I stood with the tyre chap and looked at their systems with them, more flexibility to order. Online, computer says no and that's it.

It was quite a story with Costco.

They have a traffic light system. In stock, available to order (guaranteed arrival), and available to order (may not arrive)

policy is that they don't let you order tyres that may not arrive. Too many complaints about tyres not arriving.

Only a few days left before the offer ran out, so I wanted to order and take advantage of the discount. Tyre man said he'd had specific instructions from his manager (tyre bay man) to not allow orders, based on strict instructions from the warehouse manager.

It just so happened the warehouse manager walked past the desk and I asked him for an exception on the basis that: the front tyres were available guaranteed to be delivered; that they were on offer and the offer was about to run out; and that I promised I wouldn't kick up a fuss if it took 3 months to arrive, or possibly even not at all. 

He gave in and gave the nod to have them ordered. They arrived a week later.

It's hard sourcing tyres for our rear IS wheels! The fronts are no problem!

19 hours ago, Ken83 said:

Don't be making me second guess my decision Andrew 😄 

I got them finally from blackcircles and got them delivered to a local ATS to get the fitted. Cost was £380 if I recall

Go for it.. Bang for buck its a great tyre

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links