Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Used IS300H checklist when picking up?

Hi All

Thanks to the advice of this forum i've put a deposit down on a approved used 2013 IS300H from a Lexus dealer, I want to ensure I do not miss anything so just want to sanity check what I should make sure I get with the car, e.g. when I purchased my previous car it was supposed to come with Aux cables but I did not realise, by the time I realised it was too late and I had to purchase them seperately (circa £80 cost!).

Is there anything I should make sure I get with the car apart from 2 keys? e.g. should I ask to ensure software is updated etc.

Also when test driving the car I noticed the mouse controller (not sure what its called) was very loose, e.g. if you moved it to the right it stayed there and did not return to the center, I thought it would work more like a joystick where you move it and it returns to the centre by itself, can any members confirm the behaviour? I did mention this to the salesperson and he stated it was probably the sensitivity settings, apparantly there are 5 diff settings so that can be changed, however if this not correct and it sounds faulty i'll mention it again for them to look at and fix before I collect the car.

Thanks and looking forward to getting the car 🙂

• Like 1

Congratulations on your purchase.

Two keys minimum, usually 1 “Master” key and 1 “valet” key, 

The master key opens all locks, boot and glovebox, the valet not the glovebox or boot.

Get all the paperwork, user manuals and service history.

Check bodywork for any damage or marks, matched tyres on an axle, check wheel condition as Lexus alloys are renowned for paint peeling and corrosion.

Lexus do some decently priced service/warranty packages for older models “Essential Servicing” 

Enjoy the Lexus experience drinking as much free coffee and snacks as you can in the time allowed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Two keys minimum, usually 1 “Master” key and 1 “valet” key, 

The master key opens all locks, boot and glovebox, the valet not the glovebox or boot.

This may vary. On my car there are two identical keys. Both work in the same way. However, there is a valet function - you press a button in the glovebox to disable the boot release; then you lock the glovebox with the mechanical key. Take away the mechanical key that slides out of the electronic key and give the latter to the valet. (Personally, I just give the whole thing to the valet - if he can't open the boot, how's he going to get my luggage to lay out my evening clothes for dinner? I ask you...)

The two keys come with a tiny key tag that is embossed with the key number. The manual says you need this if you ever want to have a key replaced. You keep the key tag with your car papers in case it's ever needed.

Speaking of keys, if you've ever used and like the Mercedes function that opens or closes all the windows when you press and hold the key lock button, these cars have the same function but on many models it's disabled by default on leaving the factory. The dealer can turn on the function and if you'd like this, it might be something you can ask the dealer to do. (Having said that it may already be enabled on the Premier or it may have been turned on by a previous owner.)

1 hour ago, corpjones said:

should I ask to ensure software is updated

Latest satnav would be good.

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Check bodywork for any damage or marks

Each body panel should have its own VIN sticker. If one is missing it probably indicates some respraying. This is not necessarily a bad thing if it was done well. But the absence of VIN stickers can point you to the panels to inspect more closely for problems.

If you have any problems after collection, I'm sure the Lexus dealer will do their best to put things right.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for your replies, I spoke to the salesperson again and he said the joystick is working correctly, i.e. if you move it to the left it should stay there as its not spring loaded, can anyone with a similar system in their IS300 confirm this? he seemed pretty sure so he probably is correct, I'm used to the other type of system so just want to sanity check 🙂

I have a 65 plate f sport with the joystick and I can confirm that the joystick will stay in the left/right/up/down position when moved there, but it only needs the slightest touch for it to move back to centre. It certainly does not “stick” in those positions but it will “stay” until tapped back to centre.

• Thanks 1

Ask for a full tank of petrol. I didn’t and had to fill up on the way home.

When I queried about it they said I hadn’t asked, so don’t assume you will get a full tank.

I am still annoyed about that even after 5 years.

Most of all enjoy the experience as best you can in the new normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make sure you get the locking wheel nut it can be a disaster without it down the line if they forget to place it back in the car. Don't expect a spare wheel! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mark

just to recap

check that the panel vin stickers are present on each panel

all manuals and service book are present

2 keys & locking wheel nut key check each key works if not get them to replace the Battery or the key if the Battery doesnt work

the tyre repair bottle is in date as i think its £80 to replace it and since the IS300h is a 13 plate it may well be out of date if it hasnt been used

i normally ask to have a 4 wheel alignment check done aswell

you will find when you either power on or off the joystick will automatically re centre itself

enjoy your car

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Ask for a full tank of petrol. I didn’t and had to fill up on the way home.

When I queried about it they said I hadn’t asked, so don’t assume you will get a full tank.

I am still annoyed about that even after 5 years.

Most of all enjoy the experience as best you can in the new normal.

Was that Lexus Chester, Paul ?

Decide if you do/don't want, special polish, GAP insurance, dent insurance etc., BEFORE arriving.

Worst bit of car purchasing I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

here is a link for all the insurance products that they will try and sell to you

i posted this info on the CT forum a short while ago, it will give you a good

idea of how much you can save instead of paying the lexus salesperson loads

of commission for sitting down and drinking cups of tea and eating biscuits.

https://totallossgap.co.uk/landing/Gap-Insurance-1?gclid=CjwKCAjw57b3BRBlEiwA1ImytnGAnY4ZWig32wZ1CK8UaCDWkvVwFp79nP1Z-D11lcd7WHhUQcGndBoC07oQAvD_BwE&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

3 yr policy for 18" wheels is £191.13

3yr policy for 18" tyres up to £150 / tyre is £186.56

3yr scratch & dent policy is £249.74

3yr gap policy for a car costing 30K is £189.21

total £816.64

dont forget i dont know the size of your wheels 17" is cheaper

and i based the gap with the car being on a pcp with a value of 30K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check how many previous owners. The way the salesman spoke about the car I bought - full Lexus service history at their branch - I assumed it was a one previous owner car, especially as it only had 30k on the clock. When the V5c came through I found that the car had had three previous owners....."Caveat Emptor" I was not! No matter - I'm happy with the car & have a 3 year warranty plus three years MoT plus three years roadside recovery. The dealer also threw in next year's service for free & gave me a full tank of petrol. Can't really complain.

12 hours ago, Ullager said:

Check how many previous owners. The way the salesman spoke about the car I bought - full Lexus service history at their branch - I assumed it was a one previous owner car, especially as it only had 30k on the clock. When the V5c came through I found that the car had had three previous owners....."Caveat Emptor" I was not! No matter - I'm happy with the car & have a 3 year warranty plus three years MoT plus three years roadside recovery. The dealer also threw in next year's service for free & gave me a full tank of petrol. Can't really complain.

You most certainly cannot John.

Which Lexus Dealership provided such exemplary service ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links