Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where is everyone plugging in their dashcams?

Hi All

On my current E class I have a cig socket in the glovebox, this made it easy to install the dashcam myself and route the wiring, i've not picked up the new IS300 yet (63 plate) but was wondering, how have you guys got your ones connected?

If theres a USB socket or cig socket in the glovebox I'd be sorted..

Many people hardwire them. Not using the cigarette socket then.

I like to reserve my cigarette socket to add USB ports. The two in the car are not very powerful and do not charge phones very quickly.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, corpjones said:

I know there's one cig socket under armrest, where is the other one located? I assume power turns off once you turn car off.

Rather than using a socket, many people cut into the wires and power them off existing circuits. Or less invasive, using fuse taps to tap into the fuse box:

80662d1359766240-fuse-tap-help-please-ej

• Thanks 1

What dash cam are you using?

Nextbase do a hardwire kit, it taps directly into the fuse box and still allows you to keep the normal fire in that location, I can’t remember how much they were but it’s really useful

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I've got the Anker Roav, it's USB but it comes with the 12v to USB adapter.

Is there such a thing as a fuse to a 12v cig socket adapter? Then I'm thinking I can use any dashcam in the future as I may change mine soon.

I had a Google but nothing comes up, potentially not using the right terminology..

Not sure if it's mini USB or micro USB that you've got, on the Roav, but there's no need to convert it to a 12v cig socket.

As Jay said, hardwire kits are available from specific manufacturers, but there are plenty of generic. E.g.:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dash-Hardwire-Charger-Cable-Cameras-Black/dp/B0789G3QT8

• Thanks 1

I'm using front and rear Kenwood jobbies - Hardwired with "park" mode so if the built in G sensor doesn't sense any movement for 2 mins or more it will shut off and vice versa. Not bad for 140 odd quid inc a memory card, hardwire kit and front and rear 1080p cameras

20200618_123640.jpg

20200618_123620.jpg

20200618_123628.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 9:27 AM, matt8 said:

Not sure if it's mini USB or micro USB that you've got, on the Roav, but there's no need to convert it to a 12v cig socket.

As Jay said, hardwire kits are available from specific manufacturers, but there are plenty of generic. E.g.:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dash-Hardwire-Charger-Cable-Cameras-Black/dp/B0789G3QT8

Thank you, its MicroUSB I have, was just a bit nervous about these generic brands selling hardwire kits, Nextbase i've heard of but that is Mini USB which will not fit my roav, also i'm not very comfortable messing around with the fusebox side of things myself whereas with the 12v socket I can just plug in and hide the wires myself (I just pushed into the trim myself in last car).

Another person seems to have routed their dashcam wire via the central armrest 12v connection, that could be a option if I can hide wires properly, picking the car up this weekend so once I see it in the flesh I think i'll be able to make a better decision 🙂

Worst case I'll just have to buy a hardware kit like the one you linked to and pay for someone to fit for me.

i normally get to the back of the power socket and take power to a new

socket that i fit behind the dash above the footwell panels then plug

the dash cam into it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ikeja said:

Got mine hard wired by Halfords at the time I bought the cam

I've heard of lots of people doing this, was worried about how good they are but sounds like people are happy enough with their work 

I wouldn't let Halfords change a wiper blade, never mind trusting them with electricity.

It really is such a simple job. It took me about 20-25 minutes from gathering my tools together to taking a test drive to make sure it worked.

Use a piggy-back fuse, run the cable up the pillar to the headlining and store the excess up there, job done.

If you really don't want to DIY then at least go to a proper auto electrician or a trusted mechanic, but don't go to Halfords.

• Thanks 1

I have to say in defence of Halfords that I have never had any issues with quality or reliability of work.

They have maintained and serviced my wife car for five years with no problems at all.