Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am such a child..

Returning from a trip to Sainsburys (wearing a mask, of course), I pulled up at a set of lights over one of the many parkways in this fine city of Peterborough. A black A6 swept up in the left lane, timing the light change just right. He/she then went round to the next set of lights which I was heading to, which were at red. I was in the right hand lane, they were in the left. As the road goes down to the parkway, the two lanes merge into one - the right lane (mine) becoming the main lane. I'd noticed it was a 3.0 TD A6 and I had a thought.

"Hmm. what does this Sport Mode do?" I wondered to myself as I turned the knob to the right. The dash did its fab changey thing, the lights changed and I booted it. I have to say that I did have to hang on as the car was doing 50 by the time I had to make the turn onto the slip road. I looked in the mirror and the A6 was fairly close behind, clearly irate at having been humiliated at the lights. I made it past the part where the lanes joined and looked down at the speedo - 82 and rising! On joining the parkway, the A6 began to claw its way back, but remembering that I've not long done a speed awareness course, I eased off and took the next exit to avoid letting the side down.

Vorsprung durch, 'ave that matey!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

A6 is about a second quicker to 60 mph it also has a lot more torque but is about 300KG heavier. I would say our cars are not very quick, just adequate. But it's all about driver skill and fear threshold.. I've done that been there. Sometimes it's fun to let off a little steam. And yes in sport mode it feel faster but as Jeremy Clarkson always says; it isn't...

• Like 1

See, opportunities like this ALWAYS seem to present themselves when I'm driving the wife's Leaf (and with the wife present!) rather then when it's just me alone in my GS...

Frustrating but probably for the best lol

• Haha 2

It's always nice to feel one has 'got one over' on the other guy but in all probability the other driver just wasn't trying/paying attention or simply let you go.

I remember when driving my CLS55, which could pretty much take anything from the lights (Audi TTs excepted) but often when challenged in the traffic light get-away I would simply keep up rather than blast away. I'm sure there are many youngsters out there thinking "I took that AMG" :wink:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I tried that once from the lights and got thrashed but I could still hold my head up high.....it was an SC430 that did the thrashing 😀

Hope i don't need to organise another alibi.🤣

5 hours ago, Neil E said:

Hope i don't need to organise another alibi.🤣

“Just a few routine questions Sir, were you in Nottingham around 8 years ago?” 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

“Just a few routine questions Sir, were you in Nottingham around 8 years ago?” 😀

I might have been near Trent Bridge Cricket ground officer but in an LS430 or a Soarer....phew! 

Another risk to owning a rare, known or distinctive car - if you misbehave, the Mods might find out. 🤣

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2020 at 4:29 PM, bobusa said:

A6 is about a second quicker to 60 mph it also has a lot more torque but is about 300KG heavier. I would say our cars are not very quick, just adequate. But it's all about driver skill and fear threshold.. I've done that been there. Sometimes it's fun to let off a little steam. And yes in sport mode it feel faster but as Jeremy Clarkson always says; it isn't...

The 0-60 times don't show much. The torque and mid range acceleration in the 300h are amongst the fastest in the class

9 hours ago, rayaans said:

The 0-60 times don't show much. The torque and mid range acceleration in the 300h are amongst the fastest in the class

It's all about how relaxing the IS300h is to drive. Yes, I agree it's very quick in mid-range but will not match a high torque diesel. But we cannot compare the two as they are too different, so let’s leave it at that.

I love my car, have driven it for 5 years from new and it never ever felt stressed out even in situations where I would need to react quick in traffic. The electric traction gives good torque added to the engine power. It's flows great with traffic and is very frugal so what more does one want. These are the best cars in their class!

And would anyone agree that (off topic I know) the mileage a hybrid does is far less stressful on the engine then a regular petrol car. Mine has done 60k miles which is more likely to be 30k for the engine and brakes.

• Like 1