Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Cowling plate

Philip Pearson

Hi, I picked my 2008 SC430 3 weeks ago from a main Lexus Dealer. Generally very pleased with it. One or two niggles which should have been checked before hand over but to be fair they have offered to sort out the issues.

we had a family holiday in Cornwall and I decided to drive the SC (330 mikes). Excellent drive. On the drive back I pulled into Gloucester services, when returning to the car I saw something hanging down underneath the engine. When I investigated further it was what appeared to be a metal plate that had partly detached itself. I couldn’t move it as it is quite a sturdy piece of metal so I just took a slow drive back.

i will report it to the dealership but before I do is this a big job or any serious issues looming? I have very little technical knowledge on these matters?

Phil

9 minutes ago, Philip Pearson said:

Hi, I picked my 2008 SC430 3 weeks ago from a main Lexus Dealer. Generally very pleased with it. One or two niggles which should have been checked before hand over but to be fair they have offered to sort out the issues.

we had a family holiday in Cornwall and I decided to drive the SC (330 mikes). Excellent drive. On the drive back I pulled into Gloucester services, when returning to the car I saw something hanging down underneath the engine. When I investigated further it was what appeared to be a metal plate that had partly detached itself. I couldn’t move it as it is quite a sturdy piece of metal so I just took a slow drive back.

i will report it to the dealership but before I do is this a big job or any serious issues looming? I have very little technical knowledge on these matters?

Phil

Can a local Lexus Dealership not advise you Phil ? (Chester, Stoke, Liverpool )

When you are able, do show us the piccies please and tell us how you came to own it.

Hi John

i have been looking for an SC for some time and looked at quite a few all over England and been disappointed at the condition of the models I sighted (certainly different than the pictures and description)!  An SC430 literally had been brought into Lexus Milton Keynes on a Saturday late afternoon on a Part Exchange. I made the enquiry and put a retainer on it. Went to see it the following week and agreed to buy it. This was in March the week before lockdown so only picked it up 3 weeks ago. I paid over the top for it but it had FSH which was carried out by MK dealership plus low mileage for its age so I was comfortable paying a premium.

The after sales manager appears to be pro active as I reported the cassette changer not working properly ( I did ask them to check this before collection) and also the immobiliser light isn’t coming on when I lock the car. They are happy to drive to my place pick up the car and make good the defects. I haven’t yet reported the “metal plate” but before I do I  wondered if any of the more knowledgeable SC owners might know if this is a serious issue or a simple task.

Phil

9 minutes ago, Philip Pearson said:

Hi John

i have been looking for an SC for some time and looked at quite a few all over England and been disappointed at the condition of the models I sighted (certainly different than the pictures and description)!  An SC430 literally had been brought into Lexus Milton Keynes on a Saturday late afternoon on a Part Exchange. I made the enquiry and put a retainer on it. Went to see it the following week and agreed to buy it. This was in March the week before lockdown so only picked it up 3 weeks ago. I paid over the top for it but it had FSH which was carried out by MK dealership plus low mileage for its age so I was comfortable paying a premium.

The after sales manager appears to be pro active as I reported the cassette changer not working properly ( I did ask them to check this before collection) and also the immobiliser light isn’t coming on when I lock the car. They are happy to drive to my place pick up the car and make good the defects. I haven’t yet reported the “metal plate” but before I do I  wondered if any of the more knowledgeable SC owners might know if this is a serious issue or a simple task.

Phil

Many thanks for the information Phil and welcome to L.O.C.

Brilliant service from MK then, if they will come to you, but it would be less hassle all round if they authorised your local Lexus Dealer to correct and arrange suitable payment.

Your problem is best addressed by others,but you might consider joining Lexusman`s site as he deals almost exclusively with SC`s  https://forum.lexusownersclub.com/

Good to hear the dealer is going to put it right. If it's at the front, it's probably one of the under-trays so not serious at all. There are several covers that are held on by clips and 10mm bolts.  Probably 10 mins to fix on a ramp but unless the car was grounded at some point on the trip, it does sound as though the dealer didn't fully check the car before selling it. 

Stuff can happen but if the car is being sold at a premium, it ought to be very good when it leaves the dealer. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links