Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front sensors dead spot

I damaged the front of my 300h a few weeks back while turning around in a car park.

I knew the was a post there and was going very slow, the car displayed 4 orange bars on the near side, I kept going and the warning turned off indicating to me that I had passed the post. I then hit it, all be it slowly but it has done some damage.

I have had the car checked and the sensors are working correctly so I asked the service guy to come out and check and there is a large dead spot between the two sensors I believe this is because the sensor in the grille is set far too far back.

Lexus are putting all the blame on me. Anyone else noticed this on their car?

Welcome to L.o.c. Allan.

Sadly yours was not a happy introduction, but there is no reason why you should not ultimately be happy with your Lexus.

If I were you I would take the car back to the people you bought it from and request that they correct the dead spot. Tell them to negotiate the type of obstacle you hit in your car and report back to you.If they also damage the car (as you did) then they must accept that there is a dead spot and they must repair the vehicle to your satisfaction-- On the premise that they provided you with an unsatisfactory vehicle.

Do let us all know how you get on.

2 minutes ago, Shada said:

The sensors are an aid to help, not guarantee. I suggest an eye test. 

I understand your humour and I'm annoyed at myself as I didn't realise the post I was trying to miss was twice as wide at the bottom than the top where I could see it. But I would expect the car to see a post that is 200mm, 100m, 10mm from the car.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Welcome to L.o.c. Allan.

Sadly yours was not a happy introduction, but there is no reason why you should not ultimately be happy with your Lexus.

If I were you I would take the car back to the people you bought it from and request that they correct the dead spot. Tell them to negotiate the type of obstacle you hit in your car and report back to you.If they also damage the car (as you did) then they must accept that there is a dead spot and they must repair the vehicle to your satisfaction-- On the premise that they provided you with an unsatisfactory vehicle.

Do let us all know how you get on.

My garage did agree there is a dead spot and I use that term loosely as it's quite a large area. It is a design fault which Lexus PR will not accept. I came on here to see if anyone else had had a problem. This is my 3rd new Lexus and I've told PR it will be my last but guess the sale of one car won't affect them.

• Like 1

once you get past a predetermined distance ( not known by me)

you will be in the dead spot area please see my image below

to understand my reasoning

and as previously said they are only for guidance and not to be relied on 100% of the time.

parking sensors front.jpg

1 minute ago, 200h said:

and as previously said they are only for guidance and not to be relied on 100% of the time.

Not sure if the front dead spot would be quite as bad as that. Mine was to the right of your right hand red line and due to the right hand front sensor being set too far back and on my model the front side sensor is right round under the headlight washer. On the new cars I looked at in the showroom the front sensors are on longer stalks that put them flush with the front of the car which would minimise any dead spot.

24 minutes ago, 200h said:

lexus.jpg

2 minutes ago, 200h said:

this is a picture of the front of my  car

sensor locations.jpg

Mine is very similar but my front sensor would not be visible from this angle as it is deep within the front grille. The side one is the same.

If you were moving directly towards your car indicator light from this angle the sensor would go from 4 orange to 3 orange to nothing. It would not go 4,3,2 orange, 1 red.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links