Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Topping up engine oil

KWCT200h

there is only 1 cost effective engine oil to buy and that is

the correct one i.e. 0w-20 as per lexus recommendation

whatever you do dont scrimp on your engine oil

it will cost you far more than you will ever save in the long run,

i think Shell Helix ultra is the one lexus uses its not cheap here is a link for 1ltr bottle

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-92101-shell-helix-ultra-sn-0w-20-pure-plus-fully-synthetic-car-engine-oil.aspx?VariantID=167786&gclid=CjwKCAjw0_T4BRBlEiwAwoEiARLkKAwoH2agCoxuhqAcTV9JosJ7bVHnoF1NpM2hlwdREJJRVGnjOxoC_t8QAvD_BwE

• Like 2

Shell is what my local dealer uses. I never though need to top up between oil changes. In fact, I can't recall having to top up any modern engine between services for many years. 

Is your car losing much oil? 

• Like 1

Small engines and city driving demand a high quality oil. 

Some engines are designed to use oil for better fuel economy, one litre every 1000 miles is considered normal. However in the long run this burnt oil goes through the catalysts who get blocked and need replacement, so where is any fuel economy!

I use Amsoil API SN  5W30   ILSAC GF 5 for warm weather. For uk 0W30 is recommended and the oil level never falls even a hair line below the max level irrespective of driving style.

Chris.

On 7/26/2020 at 11:37 PM, 200h said:

i think shell helix ultra is the one lexus uses its not cheap here is a link for 1ltr bottle

It is a common one that dealers use. Obviously Toyota/Lexus recommend Toyota 0-20W for the CT, which I believe is produced by Mobil but to Toyota's specifications.

1 hour ago, Mihanicos said:

Small engines and city driving demand a high quality oil. 

Some engines are designed to use oil for better fuel economy, one litre every 1000 miles is considered normal. However in the long run this burnt oil goes through the catalysts who get blocked and need replacement, so where is any fuel economy!

I use Amsoil API SN  5W30   ILSAC GF 5 for warm weather. For uk 0W30 is recommended and the oil level never falls even a hair line below the max level irrespective of driving style.

Chris.

The correct oil for use in the UK is 0w20, and the handbook states if anything else of a higher viscosity is used it should be changed for the correct grade at or before  5000 miles maximum. The correct grade need not be changed till 10,000 miles. It also states using anything other than 0w20 will have a serious impact on fuel consumption. 
Prius Chat forum bears out this with reports of people getting a loss of up to 15 mpg by using 0w or 5w30 oil.

John.

1 hour ago, Mihanicos said:

Quite right, 0w20 is the correct oil viscocity for uk,  I was writing the post when something interrupted my sequence of thoughts.

I stand corrected.

Chris.

We have all made mistakes "in my case senior moments" when we write or say something different to what our brains are telling us. I have done this several times on this forum.

John.

I have never topped up engine oil on my Lexus between services, in fact I do check the oil and washer bottle, but my oil is so clean, its just as if it has just been changed, and never needs topping up,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links