Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Over the top Lexus ISF Advert

I may be wrong but that car looks like a user that used to be very popular on here when I first joined back in 2007. I think his user name was Tango. He also ran a IS250 SE-L with a ‘V6’ plate  of the same colour, as shown in photo no 8 of the advert.  Sad times if it is his car and he’s passed away. 

Wow, if it is (was) the car owned by ‘Tango ‘ then I had the pleasure to meet him a few years ago when I bought some IS bits from him and stood next to this ISF in his garage with great envy!

Just had a good look at the AD pics and sad to say I’m 99.9% sure that is/was the garage that I met ‘Tango’ in.☹️

😞

I remember when he posted that photo of the two cars in the garage on here. I had car envy as  not only did he have an ISF but also one of the nicest looking IS250’s, which was one of the first examples on here.   

13 hours ago, F.A. said:

I may be wrong but that car looks like a user that used to be very popular on here when I first joined back in 2007. I think his user name was Tango. He also ran a IS250 SE-L with a ‘V6’ plate  of the same colour, as shown in photo no 8 of the advert.  Sad times if it is his car and he’s passed away. 

That was exactly my first thought when I saw the photos and the garage setting.

Sadly this does look to be the case. How very very sad.

This photo below I have copied from Tango's own post back in 2014.

post-5848-0-57491700-1392397458_thumb.jp

He was always such a fountain of knowledge on 250's and ISF's. Had not seen anything of him for quite some time so I thought he'd moved onto a different car altogether.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ignoring high price and upgraded bose sound system 🙂 would the fact that it's an ex press car and been tracked put you guys off? Even if it had been meticulously looked after by a forum member.

Personally I wouldnt buy a press car. You take your chances with any used car having been driven hard / tracked / driven without mechanical sympathy, but with a press car you can almost gaurantee all of the above.

It is cool to have a magazine with a picture of your car on the front though 🙂

Many years ago ( I don’t get invites any more) I attended a “Lexus Open Road Day” which was at a stately home setting near to Ashby de la Zouche.

There was a selection of Lexus cars available to test drive with both the ISF and LS600 prebookable which I did.

I drove a CT200 and IS250c on my own around the local area but the main attractions were accompanied drives.

The LS600 was fine but I waited hours for the ISF even though I had booked a slot at a specific time, I got the impression that they were hoping I would give up waiting and go home in my lowly LS400 dressed as a Toyota Celsior. I eventually got my drive though.

The fully trained “Stig” type racing driver took the car out first and thrashed the thing at every opportunity, red lining, heavy braking fast cornering ( perhaps he had been told to do so for my insistence).

The car was owned by an LOC member the last time I mentioned it but I can’t find the photo now.

So I can fully understand what these “Press cars” go through.

• 3 weeks later...

Price ‘dropped’ to £16,800 now! Can’t remember what it was up for to start with?

Aahhhhh just looked at his ‘previous ads’ and it was up for £18,500.

• 2 weeks later...

Delighted to tell you that the car sold to the first person to show up looking at it.  He said it's exactly as advertised and took no time in saying he wants it.  Very happy with the buyer, he's from the same cut as myself and my father, and will take great care of it.

He and a few others thought the advert was hilarious and helped bring their interest, boring "basic" ads lack personality. Over the top is entertaining, and keeps people reading to the bottom.

Tango passed in January and I had the pleasure of driving the car for about 1,000 miles but decided very quickly it isn't for me.  I just wanted to drive his prized car, listen to his iPod, remember him and put it through some action before selling it on to a wealthier owner who can take care of it properly.  I drive a racing V6 MR2, and a cheap(ish) boosted daily driver that I built myself - as you can probably see from the advert photos.  Driving an expensive super saloon is like dangling a Rolex out of the window that I was gifted and didn't earn.

£16,800 was not overpriced it would have sold for £17,500 maybe £18,000 but my patience is thin.  

RE: the Bose system, I was only describing from memory and someone messaged to let me know it was the ML upgrade, not Bose.  Adaptive suspension perhaps not but certainly feels like rebound settings are harder in Sport than normal, immediately noticeable when going down crap roads or motorway.  If you don't think the car hunkers down immediately on pressing Sport and appears a bit harder, then you perhaps have ancient butt cheeks 🙂 

I appreciate the kind words for my father, he was very fond of the car and we took great care of it together.  It has since been clayed, polished, coated and kept pristine by myself and my friends. I read his old posts on here and was delighted to see how much like me he was while I was away at university and missed a lot of the IS250 stuff.

I'm amused you thought a funny OTT advert would delay the sale, I think any other person would have taken it immediately as well. 

• Like 3

Like I mentioned above I had the pleasure to meet your dad in his garage, the very same garage the 250 & ISF lived in to purchase d SF one 250 parts and felt he was a very knowledgeable and pleasant person, sorry for your loss but don’t lose your memories.

paul m.

• Like 2

I appreciate the sentiment but the car is a very expensive garage ornament.  I would never pay more than £10,000 for a commuter, £500+ for tax and those outrageous brake pads/discs costs for keeping a canal barge from hitting a wall.

It was his "i made it so i can afford it" car, I need it out there being loved and driven up the revs by someone who can also afford that kind of unnecessary luxury.  It lingers around taking up more room than a Range Rover and in a way it's like keeping him around unable to grace the tarmac.  

As you say he was loaded with knowledge and all to happy to dispense it, I do the same even if it bores my friends.  I learned so much from him and it paved the way to where I am now with my cars.  Seems like everywhere he went he was acknowledged as friendly, funny and well spoken - I can only aim to be regarded as highly as him in my circles 🙂 

5 hours ago, SierraCharlie said:

Delighted to tell you that the car sold to the first person to show up looking at it.  He said it's exactly as advertised and took no time in saying he wants it.  Very happy with the buyer, he's from the same cut as myself and my father, and will take great care of it.

He and a few others thought the advert was hilarious and helped bring their interest, boring "basic" ads lack personality. Over the top is entertaining, and keeps people reading to the bottom.

Tango passed in January and I had the pleasure of driving the car for about 1,000 miles but decided very quickly it isn't for me.  I just wanted to drive his prized car, listen to his iPod, remember him and put it through some action before selling it on to a wealthier owner who can take care of it properly.  I drive a racing V6 MR2, and a cheap(ish) boosted daily driver that I built myself - as you can probably see from the advert photos.  Driving an expensive super saloon is like dangling a Rolex out of the window that I was gifted and didn't earn.

£16,800 was not overpriced it would have sold for £17,500 maybe £18,000 but my patience is thin.  

RE: the Bose system, I was only describing from memory and someone messaged to let me know it was the ML upgrade, not Bose.  Adaptive suspension perhaps not but certainly feels like rebound settings are harder in Sport than normal, immediately noticeable when going down crap roads or motorway.  If you don't think the car hunkers down immediately on pressing Sport and appears a bit harder, then you perhaps have ancient butt cheeks 🙂 

I appreciate the kind words for my father, he was very fond of the car and we took great care of it together.  It has since been clayed, polished, coated and kept pristine by myself and my friends. I read his old posts on here and was delighted to see how much like me he was while I was away at university and missed a lot of the IS250 stuff.

I'm amused you thought a funny OTT advert would delay the sale, I think any other person would have taken it immediately as well. 

At the end of the day its down to how much some wants to pay for it, these ISF's are becoming more anyway.

does anyone have a white one for sale? 🙂

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss @SierraCharlie. I was envious of your dads IS collection back in the day. His IS250 was one of the nicest I had seen and he gave me the idea of being parts over from America before they were available over here. 

• Like 1