Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hope you're well!

Need some advice pls on buying a used Lexus - I am new to the country 

1) I am looking at a used 2012-13 GS250 or GS450h - leaning to the 250 as I will likely be doing low mileage per year 
2) The listing prices on AT UK and CarG are significantly higher than used values (I used Parkers).  Can you pls point me to the best online price guide for used Lexus in the UK? what's accurate?
3) How does car price negotiation work in the UK (real question)? I've lived in the US (where you can aggressively offer less and not offend ppl) and RSA (where discounts are quite small/hard to obtain)
4) Any view on buying from private party vs dealer? The pricing looks quite similar
5) What are the common failure items on a 250? 

Example if the offer price is UK10k GBP or 12k, what would you offer to start for a cash sale?  Most of these vehicles are used / old enough that I would be buying for a 3rd party dealer or private sale.

Cheers!

John

Hi John

Autotrader is the best place - most private sellers and dealers will advertise there. eBay is another option but IMO not as good.

There aren't many GS vehicles for sale as they didn't sell many in the first place, especially the petrol only versions. Most will be for sale at dealers as selling privately is difficult, it can take some time to find a buyer as it isn't a popular vehicle.

You are unlikely to get more than £1,000 off the price of a vehicle priced at £10,000 unless you find things wrong with it which gives you some leverage.

It can be nice to find an honest private seller but you have legal rights if you purchase from a business so I'd recommend the latter. Here is some info on the subject:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

• Like 4

I have owned 2012 GS250 "Luxury" 

Overall impressions very positive. It is way better choice than overweight, overpriced and under powered 300h. Engine sounds awesome and works well with gearbox. I was sceptical at first that 2.5l V6 will struggle because of car size, but it was never an issue. 

What to look for? I would look for F Sport model with full Lexus service history. 

Take it for a long test drive before purchase and check for steering wheel wobble, brakes operation and check that everything works, especially aircon. 

Price: you should have no problem to knock 20% off for quick sale. It's buyers market. 

• Like 1