Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2010 RX45Oh SE-L SUSPENSION

I've just bought my first Lexus.  It's a 2010 RX 450h SE-L with low (59,000) mileage.  I find the (non-air) suspension quite unforgiving.  Do people ever soften it / is that even possible?  I've had a Jaguar for years and the difference is noticeable.  Thanks.

21 minutes ago, WXL said:

I've just bought my first Lexus.  It's a 2010 RX 450h SE-L with low (59,000) mileage.  I find the (non-air) suspension quite unforgiving.  Do people ever soften it / is that even possible?  I've had a Jaguar for years and the difference is noticeable.  Thanks.

Welcome Wyn.

As a matter of interest, what tyres do you have and what pressures are they set at ?

• Like 1

Alas, no RFT markings 😞    That said, you clearly know more about this than I do.  Is it possible / do people actually soften the suspension on a 450h?  I did this with the sports suspension on my Jag (no problem with this) to make it waft more.  But it may be different with an SUV.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WXL said:

But it may be different with an SUV.

Nail, head.

Comparing a Jag saloon with an SUV is apples and oranges. I had an RX300 before my current RX450h and have been more than happy with the comfort, effortless driving and general waftiness with both of them  🙂

• Like 2

Hi

My RX450 runs with Michelin Cross climates "SUV", 235/55R19. I have 35psi all around and find this is great for a smooth/quiet ride!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WXL said:

Hello John.  Thanks for replying.  The tyres are Bridgestone Dueller H/P 235/55 R19 101V.  And are set at 33psi

Hello John, you are running the same tyres  as myself I find the ride to very smooth and compliant.

I did also own a Jaguar (S-Type facelift) many moons ago, had the best ride of any car I have owned, nothing rides like a Jaguar. Unfortunately it's very difficult to make an SUV ride and handle like a car.

• Like 2

A slight softening could result from fitting 18 inch rims with correspondingly higher profile tyres but I would see if you could get a ride in a model with these fitted before going this route.  My RX450h certainly gave a more comfortable ride after I replaced the Dunlops with Michelin Cross Climates 

• Like 2

Am looking for something similar as well but the air suspension on a SE-L, longer term does worry me.  Have heard of people actually replacing with normal suspension to remove the potential "harshness" of the ride as well as removing future problems. 

If you mind me asking how much did you pay for the car?  No worries if you don't want to say.

Am looking myself but being in Aberdeen Scotland there are not that many around to go drive, view or buy!!

I have a 2014 RX with standard suspension and I don't think the ride is particularly good, certainly like as cushioned as my '92 LS400.

I suppose the suspension is doing a lot of work if you think about it, these are heavy, tall things to keep on the road.

• Like 2

Ride quality is a very subjective thing.  There are cars that are noted for a soft ride particularly many French models whereas many German cars give quite a hard ride. Yet even with the latter there are owners who fit still larger wheels with ribbonlike tyres and compound this by fitting shorter and higher rate springs and shorter and firmer shocks.  This is fine for the track but for general road use must provide a bone shaking ride on our poor roads.  To such drivers the RX suspension must feel very soft!  My RX450h has air suspension and I find the ride about right for me and the type of car it is.  My regret is that I didn't try a conventially sprung model to make a direct comparison before purchasing mine but on other marques air suspension is supposed to give a smoother flatter ride. (Road testers took a particularly strong  view of this on the Audi Q5 for example).

It is interesting that Lexus dropped air suspension for the 4th Generation RX450h. One can only speculate on whether this was becase they had had a lot of trouble with the air suspension on previous generations, wanted to keep costs down or found a combination of springs/shocks that were at least as good as provided by air suspension.

Use to which a car has been put and the way it has been treated as well as age and mileage, tyre type, size and pressure can all make small differences. I rembering reading a road test by a regular tester who found a 3rd Generation RX450h bouncy and floaty which mine is not, so as I said subjective.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Ride quality is a very subjective thing.  There are cars that are noted for a soft ride particularly many French models whereas many German cars give quite a hard ride. Yet even with the latter there are owners who fit still larger wheels with ribbonlike tyres and compound this by fitting shorter and higher rate springs and shorter and firmer shocks.  This is fine for the track but for general road use must provide a bone shaking ride on our poor roads.  To such drivers the RX suspension must feel very soft!  My RX450h has air suspension and I find the ride about right for me and the type of car it is.  My regret is that I didn't try a conventially sprung model to make a direct comparison before purchasing mine but on other marques air suspension is supposed to give a smoother flatter ride. (Road testers took a particularly strong  view of this on the Audi Q5 for example).

It is interesting that Lexus dropped air suspension for the 4th Generation RX450h. One can only speculate on whether this was becase they had had a lot of trouble with the air suspension on previous generations, wanted to keep costs down or found a combination of springs/shocks that were at least as good as provided by air suspension.

Use to which a car has been put and the way it has been treated as well as age and mileage, tyre type, size and pressure can all make small differences. I rembering reading a road test by a regular tester who found a 3rd Generation RX450h bouncy and floaty which mine is not, so as I said subjective.

Just ensure that you have the Lexus Extended Warranty Barry, to cover the Air Suspension. 

Michelin Cross Climates are extremely good on the gen 3 cars. Never found the suspension hard on my 2015 Advance, much softer than NX's I tried. Just fitted Cross Climates on my wife's Fiat 500 which previously ha factory fit Goodyears and the ride is far softer now, car is much more comfortable to travel in

• Like 1