Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Caliper bolts

Paul Ed

I have seen many posts on different forums stating that caliper bolts must not be re-used as they are 'stretch bolts'.

Firstly, these bolts appear to be working in shear and not in tension so why use stretch bolts?

Secondly, where do you get new caliper bolts from? I've searched extensively online over the last 7 years and the only ones I've seen have been in the States. The first time I changed the discs I did indeed orders new bolts from over the pond at considerable expense. Since then I've just reused these bolts each time I've removed the calipers (about 5 times now) with no ill effect.

OEM from Lexus are probably more expensive than the US got ones.

I would be interested what others think.

Thanks.

I've just checked the maintanance manual for the LS430 and the two bolts that hold the calliper to the hub are marked as non-reusable. 

But I must admit I've taken the calipers on and off 4 or 5 times in the last 11 years, when I've replaced brake discs, and never changed the original bolts.

150,000 miles and the brake calipers have'nt fallen off yet!

If you realy must replace them call the spares department at your local main dealer, simple things like bolts are not that expensive even at Lexus.

Note, the other thing the manual tells you to replace is the tiny stainless steel clip that hold the wear sensor on the brake pad, and I would dvise you to replace that, I always do.

John NFront Caliper.pdf

• Like 1

Paul

I can't understand why you have had trouble finding new caliper bolts. I phoned the spares dept. at Stockport Lexus (my local dealer) this morning and was quoted £9 + vat each.

The strange thing is though they are on a weeks delivery, but spares that are regular consumables are normaly next day delivery. This indicates there is not much demand for them, probably because people like me keep re-using the original ones.

Beware of shopping round for cheaper simple parts like bolts for brake calipers. Bolts can be made by any back street or garden shed workshop anywhere in the world where 'quality control' is an alien concept. Are they using the right high tensile steel? Are they using the right anti-corrosion treatment?  Are they checking the dimensions are within tolerance? And even if you save £5 a bolt is it worth increasing the chance of an accident that could cost you far more than money?

Thats why I always buy parts like that through Lexus or Toyota main dealers, it's worth the peace pf mind.

John N

• Like 1