Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello fellow CT owners

Rooose

Just wanted to say hi having picked up my 2012 CT Premier today. I have been trawling this forum and it has been a massive help to me when choosing the car.

Not the kind of car I would normally go for but I was looking for a cheap, premium hatchback to be the Ying to my Yang which is a Porsche 981. While I appreciate they are very different cars, they will serve their purposes very well from what I can tell so far.

Have to say, I really couldn't face another VW/Audi/BMW hatchback but wanted something well screwed together with a bit of luxury and the CT became about the only choice when you don't want to spend a fortune on what will be my runabout/commuter car.

I will post some updates on my thought after a few weeks but it seems to me that most reviews are a little harsh on this car, which made me apprehensive to pull the trigger but my initial test drive and journey back from the dealer today just don't align with most professional reviews. Yes, the ride is a little crashy here and there but it was sublime on the motorway and super quiet (had the dealer fit new Dunlops before collection).

The way I see it right now, it will be cheap, comfortable motoring for a few years and I have had enough of suffering massive depreciation on cars just to ferry me to work and back. 

Anyway, pleased to join the forum and I will let you all know if anything changes in the coming weeks/months.

• Like 2

Welcome to the LOC Gavin! I too was a previous VAG customer for over 17 years. After terrible customer service I finally went over to Lexus summer last year and love the CT! You will definitely be happy with this brand. My local dealer Lexus Birmingham is fantastic! Well done on making the move 👍

• Like 2

Welcome! 

Having owned a couple of Lexuses (Lexi?) then jumping to BMW (118i) and VW (Polo) I'd never go back to those again (both awfully unreliable). Like any forum, there are woes aplenty (go to the BMW ones and there are pages and pages of common issues) expressed but overall, from my experience, you can't beat Japanese for build quality and reliability. Lexus just seek to top it off with added luxury. 

Hope the CT serves you well. Driving a self charging hybrid is an initially weird experience but gets more fun over time I find. 

• Like 1

Thanks both. I have always purchased German, this is my first non European car. For me, all of them have some common issues and unfortunately because they all share the same platform/components these days, there is no getting away from them. 

I am really hoping the CT meets my needs, I guess time will tell but from what I have experienced so far, I think it will be just fine. 

Whats not to like, a 8 year old car that has 3 years warranty, comfort, toys, reliability and all for the price of a few bags of crisps!! (Well, quite a few bags of crisps but you get what I mean)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to provide an update after a few months of ownership....

Haven't done many miles as I am still WFH and try and take the 'toy' out as much as I can in the summer months, but my thoughts are as follows:

• Ride is not too hard as many journos would have you believe - I would say a times it is 'crashy' but not hard - I have absolutely no problem with how it rides
  • Refinement is a little lacking - some of the plastics are a little creaky (centre console and particularly door handles) and it could do with some sound deadening around the wheel arches but for what it costs and its age, these are not things I get hung up about. If it was the same on a new one, then I would definitely have cause to complain
  • Economy has been excellent and I have noticed how I have adapted my driving style with this car - not compromised, just changed as I don't want to be listening to the CVT having its neck rung any more than I need to!
  • Many claim it is slow - my take is that it is not a rocket ship but more than adequate when needed. Use a bit of common sense and anticipation and I don't see any issues. It still sometimes surprises me from a standing start(upto about 20mph!)
  • The extended warranty (3 years in total), associated breakdown cover for myself and partner are unbeatable value - a massive plus in my eyes
  • ML sound system is just superb
  • Supplying Lexus dealer has been superb in rectifying some niggles and very competitive on service plan - exceelent service from the main dealer so far

In summary, really happy with the choice as an economical, reliable run around that has all the comforts I want/need. For my type of use, I think I made the right choice!

Well said Gavin. You and others have adapted well in moving from V.A.G. motors and are appreciating what Lexus has to offer.

Many new CT owners fail to appreciate that Hard Suspension, Low Profile Tyres and an F Sport model will always give a firm ride.

Motoring journalists rarely buy their own cars, are relatively young and they therefore fail to appreciate what is on offer.

For a Porsche owner to appreciate Lexus is something of a rarity.

Thanks for contributing.

39 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Well said Gavin. You and others have adapted well in moving from V.A.G. motors and are appreciating what Lexus has to offer.

Many new CT owners fail to appreciate that Hard Suspension, Low Profile Tyres and an F Sport model will always give a firm ride.

Motoring journalists rarely buy their own cars, are relatively young and they therefore fail to appreciate what is on offer.

For a Porsche owner to appreciate Lexus is something of a rarity.

Thanks for contributing.

🙂 Most Porsche owners tend to think there is only 1 brand of car - I am not in that particular gang and even though I think the 981 is a wonderful car, it is certainly not without its faults!

Every car needs to suit an individuals needs - for me, this one was about running costs, size and specification and it ticks all those boxes.

I can see why people stay with the German brands to a point, and I was guilty of that but this car has definitely changed my outlook. When it is time to change, another Lexus will ceratinly be on the list, but it will all depend on circumstances/needs at the time of course.

Best advice I can give is ignore the press on any car you re interested in buying and try it for yourself - they have very different needs/expectations to those of us who drive them daily.

• Like 2