Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suspension problem with Celsior(LS430)

My 2004 Celsior didn't pass the yearly inspection because one or maybe two of the shocks are in bad condition.

Front left is almost in need of replacement and rear right need to be replaced.

The air suspension works fine but I guess I still need to change complete unit(air bag and shock).

Is there good aftermarket parts or should I just pay for the original(£700 for a piece)?

I was offered a used set from 2002 LS 430 for a reasonable price.

I was just wondering what is the difference as price for the air suspension for facelift model(2003 ->) is cheaper than for the pre facelift model.

Or what if I change all of them to coil overs?

There was some set in eBay for £300-500 but that sounds too cheap for a set. As BC Racing is around £1000.

I tried to check the condition of the rear right shock but can't see any difference to other side.

I pushed the corner down so it goes down a little bit and comes back up, and same on the other side.

When I've done that for a car with normal springs the faulty side keeps "jumping" for awhile.

This is the second time a "celsior" has failed shocks - a member here also has atleast one and his is low mileage - I wonder if it has a connection to the Japan climate or something else.

anyway back to the question - you have 3 options :

1) Buy from dealer and replace - most expensive

2) Buy and convert to springs - the member above bought his complete set from US

3) Buy second hand units and take your chance

I must say i have never come across a facelift LS430 in the UK with failed air suspension - sometime the ride height sensors pack up due to water ingress.

hope this helps

The shocks are the same regardless of facelift or pre-facelift so I don't understand why the price would be different. I replaced all of mine with Arnott air shocks from the US which cost me £2,400 with shipping.  If I was replacing with conventional springs I would buy Strutmaster kits also from the US, about £1,400 delivered to the UK. The coilovers from eBay etc, especially adjustable onrs are something I would avoid.  Strutmaster use KYB which is what Lexus original shocks are.  Not a particularly difficult job to replace them.

3 hours ago, cruisermark said:

This is the second time a "celsior" has failed shocks - a member here also has atleast one and his is low mileage - I wonder if it has a connection to the Japan climate or something else.

anyway back to the question - you have 3 options :

1) Buy from dealer and replace - most expensive

2) Buy and convert to springs - the member above bought his complete set from US

3) Buy second hand units and take your chance

I must say i have never come across a facelift LS430 in the UK with failed air suspension - sometime the ride height sensors pack up due to water ingress.

hope this helps

I have 160k km on my Celsior, I guess it's something around 100k miles. I had almost the same mileage on my 1999 Caldina when I had to replace the rear shocks for it.

Converting to springs seems to be cheapest solution. £1400 for two original air shocks and £1000 for a set of coil overs.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

The shocks are the same regardless of facelift or pre-facelift so I don't understand why the price would be different. I replaced all of mine with Arnott air shocks from the US which cost me £2,400 with shipping.  If I was replacing with conventional springs I would buy Strutmaster kits also from the US, about £1,400 delivered to the UK. The coilovers from eBay etc, especially adjustable onrs are something I would avoid.  Strutmaster use KYB which is what Lexus original shocks are.  Not a particularly difficult job to replace them.

That's what they were wondering also at Toyota. They didn't know what is the reason for the older Celsior having more expensive shocks.

8 hours ago, Micco said:

That's what they were wondering also at Toyota. They didn't know what is the reason for the older Celsior having more expensive shocks.

I don't think I would bother with used parts, it's not really worth the risk for the amount of work involved.  If I was doing it again I would definitely try Strutmaster, if they are using (as they claim) cold wound springs and KYB dampers it has to be better than a poor quality adjustable coilover. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links