Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Non-Lexus coolant change question(s)

rich1068

Thought I'd throw this out to those more knowledgeable than I.

You might know I recently picked up a Volvo V70. No history so I'm trying to cover all the servicing bases. One of those is to put some fresh coolant in there and I'm pretty much following the same procedure as on my GS. Drain what I can from the tap on the bottom of the radiator and then refill what I take out (actually, on the GS I did this twice just to be on the safe side). But first thing I notice is that the approved Volvo coolant is green/blue but the stuff in the expansion tank and cooling system is pink/red much like that in the Lexus. So first questions...

Is coolant colour a reliable indicator of type? Google isn't that helpful. Looking at the Halfords site (as a guide) Lexus coolant (pink/red) is the OAT type like the genuine Lexus stuff but that recommended for the V70 is the Silicate type. I know you're not supposed to mix, would this indicate someone has filled the system with the "wrong" coolant?

Next question, if a complete fill of pink/red coolant has been carried out at some point rather than green/blue what if any damage could have been done? Are they interchangeable if done completely?

And lastly, due to being unsure would you recommend running a few gallons of distilled water through this just be on the safe side before using the correct coolant? Probably can guess the answer to this one.

Many thanks as always.

I've looked at various coolants for sale and many say suitable for all vehicles.  I guess the internal combustion engines in most average cars are made of the same stuff so as long as they're not mixed I don't see a problem.  Personally I'd be flushing it with a hose and ordinary tap water, letting it drain and then fill with new coolant.  From what I understand the mixing of different coolants can cause them to gel but I don't know of anyone who's experienced that.  You could really even fill completely with tap water, get it up to temperature then drain which will give a flush.  Some would disagree I'm sure but it's never harmed any of my cars.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Personally I'd be flushing it with a hose and ordinary tap water

Heresy! 

I think I'll be using a combination of tap and distilled water. Run tap water through. Final go with distilled. Something like that. Then the genuine Volvo stuff.

I was getting a bit antsy about this yesterday. Don't know why, it's just another job to tackle and is relatively simple. There is another drain on the back of the block but I'm leaving that because there are stories of it shearing. A bit of flushing should dilute/remove whatever is left to the point it doesn't matter. And we're not talking about £60k worth of RX, it's a beaten up old Volvo! Chill Rich :cool:

I think what your planning is fine.  I had the cambelt replaced on my V70 last week, a simple job but I haven't got a powerful impact wrench for the crank pulley so I had someone do it for me.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links