Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am buying a Lexus IS250 or IS220d. I live in Norway so I will not be paying more on one of the vehicles besides the actuall pay sum. So I can buy a stock 2007 IS250 or a 2007 IS220d with upgraded lightes (front and back), upgraded suspenison and comes with brand new tires. Also its a 4500£ price difference on these 2. So I know about the head gasket problems on the IS220d and the gear range on the gearbox. But are these problems big enough to close the price difference?

Thanks!

If you intend keeping the car for a long while then I would definitely say so, you only have to look in the ‘Engine & Transmission’ section to see the very high disproportionate number of DERV problems compared to the Petrol ( which I think sold in higher numbers anyway).

Also bear in mind that when ( hopefully not) you Get problems you may struggle to find a competent mechanic to fix it, even Lexus dealerships struggle sometimes...

is250 no matter what the price. Mine is almost as economical as the 2.2 diesel ford mondeo I had prior. No brained. Diesels are on the way out slowly but surely. 

Ok, but I was told by some mechanics and some people that works on engines on their privat time that if its kept good and worked on well it shouldnt be a problem. Its the same engine as RAV4 and Avensis.

Assuming you do lots of miles, give it a proper run once in a while and regularly clean the EGR valve, there shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't be reliable.

Yes, they do have their weaknesses, namely head gaskets and 5th injector problems, but these are still relatively rare when you consider the number of IS220d out there.

Have you driven one? If not, just make sure you are ok with the turbo lag and strange gearing.

Without question the IS250 is a superior car, but I believe that doesn't necessarily make the IS220d a bad one.

I happily drove around in mine for a few years and it is now with my friend and still working perfectly.

My IS 220D was my worst car! Cost £1,475.00 scrapped for £350 

Ok it was an old 2006 with high mileage 187,000miles when head gasket went. I hated the gearbox, turbo lag and poor MPG 33-37mpg. Liked the build quality, radio, safety and colour.

No, just buy the 250 instead, I should of. Lesson learnt.

After bought a 2015 Auris Hybrid estate.

Love my 1996 Volvo 940 automatic estate, 2.3 litre petrol. Cost me £250 to buy 4 years ago and just keeps going like my 1989 240GLT Estate. 940 now run in with 203,000miles. 

Volvo 1.jpg

Volvo 3.jpg

Well, there you have it,  a mixed bag of do & don’t get the Diesel! 
what ever you go for please keep posting your experiences ( hopefully not All  in the ‘Engine & Transmission’ section! ) 
🤞!

• Haha 1

Kjøpte en 250 med alt tenkelig utstyr 2006 modell, 250000km på meteret for 83000kr i Mai i fjor, veldig fin for alderen og stort sett bare langkjøring. Men får du biler med 100000km til 150000km så ville jeg vurderert priser opp til 150000kr. Kommer helt ann på tilstand. Diesel ville jeg holt meg langt unna.