Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Help Needed

lexi1

Help guys please.

I took the wheel of my IS 200 the other day to paint my wheel calipur. Finished job replaced wheel, re-tightened nuts manually (no unnecessary pressure). 3 days later noticed i was missing a wheel nut. i thought initially it must have come loose, but no such luck the thread the nut screws down on has snapped off completely. I have removed the wheel again and the threads and centre bearing all seem to move independently of the main disc, so hopefully this will not be a major and expensive job to rectify.

First question- i have been told that it is safe to drive the vehicle with 4 remaining wheel nuts, is this right.

Secondly- can anyone explain in laymans terms how to take out the part which holds the 5 wheel threads and is it easy or best left to the pros.

Last- is the part going to be very expensive and if so can i buy an aftermarket part or anyone got one tucked away in their garages for sale.

I have two young boys so my first question on safety is obviously the most important untill i can sought out the problem. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Forgot to ask this one.

Has this happened to anyone else, any particular thing i may have done wrong while reffiting wheel. Only asking because this is new to me and i still have 3 calipurs left to paint.

Thanks again.

Not checked on the Lex but normally remove disc then knock through the broken stud then replace with a new one.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell you otherwise soon.

Safety wise it should be o.k until you replace the faulty stud.

Unbelievable, just refitting my back wheel after painting the rear calipur and i have snapped another thread. Thats now one on the front and one on the rear. I just cant understand it, i have taken off plenty of wheels and refitted in my 13 years driving and this has never happened before to happen twice. Im really worried now about the other threads snapping. This cant be the norm. I am going to buy a torque wrench tomorrow does anyone no the correct torque the nuts should be set at.

Thanks for the advise so far.

P.S. Scorpion, dont forget my alarm mate.

Thanks again guys, keep the info coming.

if they are snapping you have either A: over torqued them OR B: a faulty batch of studs, but more like A!

new studs are a few ££'s only.

torque- cant remember exactly, i do have a figure in my mind but not going to say unless im 100% positive.

Unbelievable, just refitting my back wheel after painting the rear calipur and i have snapped another thread. Thats now one on the front and one on the rear. I just cant understand it, i have taken off plenty of wheels and refitted in my 13 years driving and this has never happened before to happen twice. Im really worried now about the other threads snapping. This cant be the norm. I am going to buy a torque wrench tomorrow does anyone no the correct torque the nuts should be set at.

Thanks for the advise so far.

P.S. Scorpion, dont forget my alarm mate.

Thanks again guys, keep the info coming.

You definatly need a torque wrench with alloy wheels. check the owners manual for the correct torque it should be in there somewhere, if not some one here or your local lex dealer will know.

Safety wise it shouldnt be a problem - I have driven my previous car with one nut missing from each wheel as i couldnt get the locking nuts out - i had to take it back to where i had the alloys fitted to take them out - apparently locking nuts dont like the usual wheel braces - just to be on the safe side just dont be doing excessive speeds when with the kids. ;)

Thanks for the advise so far guys. Fluff my freind, can you define £££'s (little pounds or big pounds). Also mate have you any idea how to change them.

Cheers guys.

i meant little pounds, last time this happened to someone it was about £2 each i think.

removal: remove, wheel and disc ( makes it easier - disc that is) then knock thru the broken stud, then replace with new one. its a very basic description but thats how it goes, sure u can fill in the little gaps.

Nice one guys. Went to lexus Cardiff today, £1.50 a bolt. Extremelly happy, as they were snapping one by one i had visions of having to take out a second mortgage. Its all looking good now though fellas.

Thanks all.