Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

"What Three Words ?"

Hadrian

I hear that Mercedes are integrating "What Three Words" into their sat navs.  I expect it won't be long until other manufacturers follow suit.

It would be nice to see it in the Lexus range.

All car sat navs have lat / long coordinates so I’m not too bothered about WTW in my car.  I do have it on my Iphone though.  By the time Lexus get around to it it’ll be some new innovative tech in the new MY85 Lexus Flying Car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Habu said:

All car sat navs have lat / long coordinates so I’m not too bothered about WTW in my car.

That's OK if the people you're giving your location to can understand lat/long but many don't.

W3W is quick, easy, and understood by all so it would be the perfect solution.

• Like 1

WTW is apparently used by all of the emergency services, as it gives your location down to 10 metres

One of the chaps involved with it was talking about it on the radio on Saturday morning. It covers the whole

world, and is translated to most languages. It is free to use, but anyone using it commercially has to pay. It wont

replace satnavs as it doesn't give directions, other than a compass heading. Ok as long as you have a phone

signal to give your location.

Sorry Alan but that's not quite correct.

First of all, W3W has an accuracy of 3 metres because they've divided the whole world into 3m x 3m squares.

Secondly, you are correct in that W3W itself doesn't give directions but it does integrate with mapping apps to use it as a normal satnav - see photos below.

Last year, myself and seven others went on a lads weekend to Budapest and one day we had a clash of things we wanted to see, so four of us went to one place and four of us to the other. Of course, we had no idea where to meet up later so we agreed that the first group to finish their chosen activity would then find somewhere for us to meet and send the other group the three-word reference.

Our group received the three words, opened Google Maps and were LED directly to the exact corner of a bar beer garden to meet the other guys 🙂

Another example is that we live in Preston, Lancashire and had been given a W3W reference for a house in Richmond Green, Carlisle (first photo - notice the red arrow pointing to the 'Directions' icon)

w3w1.thumb.png.c159ef98c7eb5e669f5bc3865d41b268.png

After clicking the directions icon you get the choice of your preferred mapping app - in our case we chose Waze:

w3w2.thumb.png.b817df377756571f37e34830084e08aa.png

Final step is for your preferred mapping app to open and give you directions to the given 3m x 3m square:

w3w3.thumb.png.5d55ef6055c4f184389508c36d3633c2.png

10 hours ago, Herbie said:

W3W has an accuracy of 3 metres because they've divided the whole world into 3m x 3m squares.

It's also great for pizza delivery - you can identify the exact location of the front door. In Spain, we once had the experience of trying to arrange pizza delivery but we were visiting a development of houses which all had the same street address. W3W saves you having to give a long description like eighth house on the left just past the street light - just the three words identify it exactly.

• Like 1

It makes perfect sense to me on my phone but I can’t see a benefit integrated into the car as my phone is always with me.  However, it’ll never happen with Lexus.  However, Lexus UK has finally acknowledged CarPlay is available from this October.  We’ve known this fact for a while now but at least it’s now official.

26 minutes ago, Habu said:

It makes perfect sense to me on my phone but I can’t see a benefit integrated into the car as my phone is always with me.

A lot of people (like my next door neighbour for instance) either don't have a phone, or if they have it's not a smart phone, so car integration would be great for them.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:39 PM, Herbie said:

Sorry Alan but that's not quite correct.

First of all, W3W has an accuracy of 3 metres because they've divided the whole world into 3m x 3m squares.

Secondly, you are correct in that W3W itself doesn't give directions but it does integrate with mapping apps to use it as a normal satnav - see photos below.

Last year, myself and seven others went on a lads weekend to Budapest and one day we had a clash of things we wanted to see, so four of us went to one place and four of us to the other. Of course, we had no idea where to meet up later so we agreed that the first group to finish their chosen activity would then find somewhere for us to meet and send the other group the three-word reference.

Our group received the three words, opened Google Maps and were led directly to the exact corner of a bar beer garden to meet the other guys 🙂

Another example is that we live in Preston, Lancashire and had been given a W3W reference for a house in Richmond Green, Carlisle (first photo - notice the red arrow pointing to the 'Directions' icon)

w3w1.thumb.png.c159ef98c7eb5e669f5bc3865d41b268.png

After clicking the directions icon you get the choice of your preferred mapping app - in our case we chose Waze:

w3w2.thumb.png.b817df377756571f37e34830084e08aa.png

Final step is for your preferred mapping app to open and give you directions to the given 3m x 3m square:

w3w3.thumb.png.5d55ef6055c4f184389508c36d3633c2.png

Thanks for the info Herbie.   Now that Mercedes are introducing WTW into their in car  navigation, it won't be long before others follow suit.

To those who don't like it..............If you don't like it don't use it.

• Like 1

I think W3W is brilliant for my purposes, I fill Steam Locomotives with fresh water from a 8 Wheeled 34 ton Tanker and some of the places Steam Trains stop at ( Signals) are miles from any domestic or commercial letterbox so postcodes are useless!

For Example standard.bristle.flaunting     After going through the Gate at hurls.slanting.professes and reversing for 1/2 mile!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links