Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Eye monitoring system on LS600hL

There is an eye monitoring system fitted to the top of the steering column, behind the wheel, on my LS 600 hL. Apparently it monitors the driver's eyes and alerts the driver if he should fall asleep whilst driving. I haven't been brave enough to test this, so I don't know what happens when the alert is triggered. Does anyone have a similar system or does anyone know how it works please?

Apparently this is a Lexus accessory but I can't find anyone at my dealership who knows anything about it.

5 minutes ago, henry shirman said:

There is an eye monitoring system fitted to the top of the steering column, behind the wheel, on my LS 600 hL. Apparently it monitors the driver's eyes and alerts the driver if he should fall asleep whilst driving. I haven't been brave enough to test this, so I don't know what happens when the alert is triggered. Does anyone have a similar system or does anyone know how it works please?

Apparently this is a Lexus accessory but I can't find anyone at my dealership who knows anything about it.

Read this Henry. We are better than your local Lexus Dealership ! https://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-car-safety-monitoring-systems/#driverMonitoringSytem

• Like 3

9 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Read this Henry. We are better than your local Lexus Dealership ! https://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-car-safety-monitoring-systems/#driverMonitoringSytem

It says the driver monitoring system is/was available on the GS450h too! Was this ever fitted to UK cars?

It's part of the APCS (Advanced Pre-Crash Safety) system, which was an option in most markets. EU market LS600h equipped with APCS ought to be able to stop automatically and move in slow-moving traffic with adaptive cruise control; my car does this.

From the Launch Pack:

The Advanced Pre-Crash Safety system features the world’s first Driver Monitoring System. This uses a CCD camera mounted on top of the consistent detection performance by day and night.

The system uses an algorithm to map the position of the driver’s facial features and measure the width and centre line of the face. Using this information it is then able to monitor movement of the driver’s head when he or she looks from side to side. If the driver’s head is turned away from the road at an angle of more than 15 degrees and an obstacle is detected ahead, the system automatically activates the Pre-Crash warning buzzer and briefly applies the brakes to warn of the danger.

The system operates regardless of the driver’s seat position or facial characteristics, even if the driver is wearing sunglasses, as long as the face is in clear line of sight of the camera.

I've had the system activate once; I was going uphill, approaching a turn with a metal fence, and looking the other way to see if there are vehicles coming. I hadn't touched the brakes yet since I was going uphill and the speed was dropping anyway. I think it was the combination of the approaching fence, having not touched the brakes, and not looking straight ahead that caused the car to beep at me and gently apply the brakes. I've driven there hundreds of times in my life, and wasn't really in any danger, but I guess it's nice to know the car is looking out for me.

Crikey,

Just had a look at that link from Royoftherovers.  

Wonder if there will ever be a BMT option (where car decides you have Bad Music Taste) and tunes your radio to whatever your mother would have liked listening to!!!!

I learnt many years ago (after falling asleep twice at the wheel, and just missing hitting the M4 barriers) how to open the window, sing along 'badly' to the radio, and then find the first safe place to pull over and have a 20minute kip. .

Those were the days when no AC in company cars for my grade, and running the M4 at 90 with the window down was a little 'hair-re-arranging'

The trick for learning a 20 minute power nap was to practice at home by putting on a vinyl record and then when it got to the end the click-click of the run out would wake me up.  After doing that for about a week (every evening) like a Pavlovs dog I was trained for a short snooze.Can still do it now on really long runs (while missus pops into services and has a coffee, and buys me a Greggs sugar-hit)

• Like 1