Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I hunted out the service paperwork this morning because I thought it must be getting near and found that it's due a service at the end of October.

More shockingly, I discovered that the MOT had run out on 1st February :surprise:

Thankfully I managed to get it done this afternoon and it passed with flying colours and not even a single advisory. This is genuinely the very first time in more than 40 years of driving that I've ever done anything like this and I was absolutely mortified when I found out this morning!

Strangely though, even though I confessed to the guy doing the test, the new MOT runs for a full 12 months from today. I thought it would have had to be backdated but apparently not.

Anyway, the renewal date has already been entered into my Google Calendar, my diary, my wife's diary and our wall calendar :whistling:

• Like 1

At least you were not pulled over by the police. Probably a fine. Must live, where no fixed ANPR cameras are!

Thankfully your car wasn't involved in an accident. Always pays to write down the dates as you have now done!

James.

• Like 2

To be honest my wife and I enjoy watching 'Police Interceptors' on the idiot's lantern - little did I know that I could have had a starring role!

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Lager shandy said:

I get an email plus text from dvla I signed up for 

I thought I'd signed up for that too, but apparently not.

I use an app called "Know Your Car" for such reminders and checking that the stepchildren are still legal.It's a shame it can't link to AskMID itself but it's no great hassle to go there separately.

• Like 1

Lexus Coventry always remind me when the Mot is due and of course its now included in the extended warranty package, they even offer to collect it for me.

They also remind me when the service is due but they always do this nearly 2 months beforehand but i never bite and wait until the year has past, imagine going early each year and before you know it your on 2 services a year for no reason.

30 minutes ago, stringbender said:

This is a direct effect of what happens when our routines are disrupted. Make sure you don't forget your wife's birthday or your wedding anniversary !

Alan

Definitely! The penalties for these are far more swingeing 😱

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Herbie said:

More shockingly, I discovered that the MOT had run out on 1st February

I think at some time or other many of us have been in this situation. At one time a blue screen sticker was issued with a the MOT to show the date it expired as a reminder, but this was discontinued. The cynic in me says this is to increase revenue from fines for those that accidentally missed the date of renewal.

John.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, m4rkw said:

I don’t know what the fine is these days but last time I checked it was something like £45. Not much of a deterrent imo!

I agree, it isn't, although that's increased now to a maximum of £1,000 which is a better incentive. However, not having an MOT invalidates the insurance and that is a very big deterrent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2020 at 6:44 PM, Herbie said:

I hunted out the service paperwork this morning because I thought it must be getting near and found that it's due a service at the end of October.

More shockingly, I discovered that the MOT had run out on 1st February :surprise:

>>>>>>>

Just make sure you keep up to date with your HMRC returns - - they are even less forgiving than The Interceptors!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Illogan said:

Just make sure you keep up to date with your HMRC returns - - they are even less forgiving than The Interceptors!

Thankfully I'm now retired and am just about to put in my final returns 🙂

• Like 1