Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Catalytic converters

JPG

Hi

had my f-sport for a few weeks now and love it.

As I’m new to Lexus cars and hybrids I didn’t have a clue about the catalytic converters being stolen and only just found out this.

is there anything i can do to prevent this and is my car at risk?

If you do a search in the forums you should find some answers. The short version is you can get a cat lock which is basically an extra layer of metal covering the area to make it more difficult but not impossible to cut through. The SUVs are at greater risk and they can be done without jacking the car up but their has unfortunately been a case of it being stolen from a CT on here that was in a shopping car park. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JPG said:

Gone for it and had a catloc fitted at Lincoln Lexus,all done in under a hour 👍

Have you noticed any difference in regard to noise and/or vibration since it was fitted?

It may depend on model of car but one member on here said that it became so noisy that he's had the catloc taken off again!

Not as yet no,but I’ll keep an ear out.took it for a good spin straight after and didn’t notice any noise.

the one I’ve had is a plate and the fitter did mention the others that use a chain or cables to secure them being not very good.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Someone stolen my car catalytic converters damaged the grill from the front and disconnected alarm not just that also stolen sensor and damaged the Air condition compressor from the corner of main Thornbury Road and Side road Church Road So much so the converter was locked .Police said it’s a very common crime and insurance had the same explanation. The insurance Agents have a back log and it Can take 6 months to replace after paying them the access amount of £450 potentially my insurance premium would go high as well .I would held Lexus responsible Why don't manufacturers fit cat locks themselves?

They fit door locks. The complacency of old world car companies that'd rather make excuses than address the issue.Why Lexus alarm so useless and can be disconnected just from the front in a second ?This is an ongoing theft and we are suffering either ways . The company benefits from selling the replacement parts worth In a figure of thousands . This is not fair on buyers or users of the car from this company and the company neglecting the main issue and not protecting or securing the buyers 

I am badly effected I don’t have money to buy or replace and can’t afford to pay insurance access of £450 and get my premium go higher 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Unfortunately it doesn't look like that would slow down the theft by more than a few seconds.
What makes you think that? Is it that different to the official cat loc plate posted above?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, DrShockr said:

What makes you think that? Is it that different to the official cat loc plate posted above?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

looks thin metal that will only take a few seconds to cut through using the same angle grinder/reciprocating saw used to cut through the exhaust pipe. Maybe not much worse than the official ones, but they don't put up much of a fight either.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, sorry to see the problems some people are having with this if it happened to me I must admit ide be devastated, I've got a year old F Sport Takumi in white its the first Lexus i've owned & must admit I love it,

When researching the CT before buying I asked around about the problem with cats being stolen but from what I found all cars these days are potentially venerable & the two factors rightly or wrongly I believe is going for my cay is that the CT is naturally low to the ground so not easy to get at and if thieves want to get at it they would have to jack it up and that brings the second reason in for buying because my car is a Takumi it has anti tilt alarm fitted which is obviously an extra deterrent,

I haven't yet but I will get fitted the Lexus CT Phase 1 Catalytic Converter Lock which has now come down to £205:83 which will be a third deterrent, yes I am of the real world & if they are determined they will try everything to get it but with an alarm going off & they find the extra protection I would like to think they'd leave well alone especially if your careful where you park your car. 

• Like 1

CollinBarber I stand corrected thank you does this mean it isn't a deterrent or what?.

To put it in context though I don't believe from what i've read on here that for the CT cat theft isn't so prolific as on other vehicles and if this is correct the deterrents i've outlined whether inherent to the model or installed after may have some reasoning why.  

• 2 months later...

The Cat on my wife's CT was stolen a few days ago, grill damaged and sensor ripped out. All whilst parked in a 'secure' staff carpark! Lexus have quoted 1.5k to repair and fit the cat lock. We are contemplating whether or not to go through the insurance. The premium for the next several years will only shaft us further. Looks like everyone is making money except the victims! 

3 hours ago, FlyMo said:

The Cat on my wife's CT was stolen a few days ago, grill damaged and sensor ripped out. All whilst parked in a 'secure' staff carpark! Lexus have quoted 1.5k to repair and fit the cat lock. We are contemplating whether or not to go through the insurance. The premium for the next several years will only shaft us further. Looks like everyone is making money except the victims! 

Why not pursue the owner of the secure car park which was not secure Mo ?

Was he negligent in some way? Did he disclaim responsibility before you entered the "secure" car park ?

Why should you or your insurer have to pay anything ?

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 1:44 PM, royoftherovers said:

Why not pursue the owner of the secure car park which was not secure Mo ?

Was he negligent in some way? Did he disclaim responsibility before you entered the "secure" car park ?

Why should you or your insurer have to pay anything ?

Very good point John and something that my wife will have to look into. 

Another victim of a catalytic converter theft here...

Is the Catloc worth it?

Have you paid the excess and gone via insurance or just paid the full cost yourselves? I have no clue how much insurance will increase next year.

My neighbour had his stolen twice last year, I only moved here 6 months ago, looks promising

Some interesting comments re the catlock on here.

Just to add my 2 cents, I had the Lexus catlock fitted to our CT,

1/ Thieves can remove an unprotected cat in well under 3 minutes with a trolley jack and reciprocating saw.

2/ The Lexus catlock has additional heavy supporting brackets attached over the cat, under the cover to inhibit speed of removal.

it is not just a bolted on cover. The window stickers also act as a deterrent, if thieves look  under the car and see the catlock fitted, the poor scrap value is not worth the additional time involved and added risk of being rumbled.

3/ The Lexus tech informed me that even in their workshop with all the tools available to them removal would be at least 20 to 30 mins to butcher the convertor from the car.

4/  My dealer/service dept  have had plenty of cars in for cat replacement due to theft but NONE! that have had a catlock fitted.

5/ I have not experienced any additional road noise when driving the car.

6/ One of the biggest problems apart from the cat replacement cost/NCB loss is the fact that new cats are in short supply, because of the demand that has been created. So be prepared to have your car off the road waiting for a long period of time if yours goes. 

To me weighing up the positives and negatives and not having to jump out of bed every time I hear a clang outside 😅 for the small cost involved fitting one was a no brainer.

I've been told it has to be ordered to Japan and it will take at least a month.

Insurance will provide a hire car in the meantime.

Thanks for the feedback, will get a catloc installed then. My neighbours RX was parked next to mine, he has a catloc (or something similar) and his wasn't stolen. He put it after he got the converten stolen twice in 6 months.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links