Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noise from rear electric motor on rx 450h

Hi can anybody help, I recently purchased a RX450H 2012 with 51000 on clock,on a recent outing my wife and I noticed a noise from back end, it sounded as if it was coming from rear electric motor.

there is no noise when driving at low speed only when driving above 40 and increases when driving faster.

1 hour ago, Ernest Trickett said:

Hi can anybody help, I recently purchased a RX450H 2012 with 51000 on clock,on a recent outing my wife and I noticed a noise from back end, it sounded as if it was coming from rear electric motor.

there is no noise when driving at low speed only when driving above 40 and increases when driving faster.

What sort of noise? Ticking? Whining? Thumping? Knocking? All of the above? Oh, what make of tyres have you got on it?

If you bought it from a trader I'd just take it straight back for them to sort it under warranty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

If you bought it from a trader I'd just take it straight back for them to sort it under warranty.

+1 Take it back to be looked at, at their cost...

2 hours ago, Ernest Trickett said:

Hi thanks it sounds like a bearing or transmission.

I had a noise like a wheel bearing rumble on my last RX450h. 

It was the rear tyres due to the way they had worn. 

They were Dunlops and it's common with them apparently. 

Had same experience as Les.  Was pretty sure it was a wheel bearing.  Was assured on here and by Lexus it was highly likely to be the the Dunlop  tyres which still had quite a bit of tread but were just starting to crack.  Replaced these with Michelin Cross Climates and noise gone and better ride ensued.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 11:00 PM, Ernest Trickett said:

Hi thanks for information, have checked and Dunlop are fitted on rear axle also noticed small cracks in side walls, will go back to where bought from and get new tyres fitted.

thank you for all your help.

Many on this forum have switched to Michelin Cross Climates - and rate them quite hightly.   Dunlops would appear to be out of favour, noisier and less comfortable

Well the forum recommendations are remove those toxic dunlops rig up a burning post and burn them as they are satans work 

And go by yourself some cross climates which I've heard have been blessed by monks to be silent forever .🙈🙊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lager shandy said:

Well the forum recommendations are remove those toxic dunlops rig up a burning post and burn them as they are satans work 

And go by yourself some cross climates which I've heard have been blessed by monks to be silent forever .🙈🙊

Cross Climates are definitely blessed 🕌

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lager shandy said:

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

Cross Climates are definitely blessed 🕌

Michelins aren't 'holey'

• Haha 1

good news on your fix ,but I can feel the old gods on here frowning over your cross climates snub lol .i know it's 35 degrees now and I hope you don't regret your choice when we get that dusting of fine powder snow for 24hrs .and the sky thunders with the sound of this forum loudly bellows ha ha ha you fool see as you struggle to get of your drive way with your poor wife and kids pushing the car 😏

• Like 1

When it comes to Goodyear's, the Vector 4's have good reports in tests, particularly if you are mainly more North in the UK but probably differences between good brands are probably not great.  Anyway, glad the noise has gone.  I must admit I was very skeptical about the noise on mine being due to the Dunlops but this proved to be the case.