Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suspension conversion

Hi guys well I've been busy and taken bull by the horns ,after a lot of searching I found that there are quite a lot of toyota models that use the same complete struts either front ,back or in both positions as the 2nd gen rx300, so I ordered coilovers for a 1992 ,2001 toyota camry, brand knew, made by maxpeeding rods £180 for all 4 , they arrived from Poland  and I stripped off the old air suspension and fitted coilovers in a day,I had to slightly elongate the top mount holes on front  upper mount holes ,and all so the upper holes in the rear lower mounts.( Also standard drop links fit no problems)

I have left the height sensors connected,but have removed air pump and as much of the piping as I can ,I haven't yet removed air suspension main fuse but I will it just means light flashes on dash, all of the adaptive lighting works still, I adjusted the preload off a bit from factory setting and the fire is as good if not better than on air suspension,it's great on country roads in the bends and smooth on motorways.

The only thing I would say is that I may have to swop the dampers only front to back because front slightly low and back slightly high but didn't affect handling.

overall the car feels great and very responsive and comfortable on all roads in very happy with results

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris item no 353124049365 , manufacturing part number 0841xk , they are for 92-01camry

99-03 Avalon and a few others , you will have to swap dampers front to back , open holes in front turrets slightly , and also elongate rear low mount holes, you can do it in a day.  
I took as much of the plastic tubing as I could away , removed compressor, still have to take main fuse out all it does is stops light flashing, I also left height sensors on and connected , automatic front head light still adjusts, I would probably go for the ones with damper adjustment on them , if you need any more info feel free

Mike

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

I have tried the numbers on the MaxSpeeding Rods web site but are not recognised. Did to get them direct from them or of a different web site?   You mention coming from Poland?

I think I understand you correctly re swapping the dampers. The units come all complete so you would need to remove the top plate and spring and then switch the damper from front to rear. or but the adjustable model which would not require this to be done?

Regards

Chris

1 hour ago, Barry14UK said:

Interested to know reaction of insurer to this mod and whether it results in appreciable increase in premium.

According to others who have done it and reported back, it makes no difference, and nor should it in my view.

It makes the car no more or less safe, and it makes the car no more or less desirable/nickable, so no real justification for a change of premiums.

• Like 1

Mike

Thanks, I have found the ones with the part number you mention £177.99  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coilover-Spring-Shock-Struts-for-Toyota-Camry-1992-2001-Solara-Avalon-1999-2003/353124049365?hash=item5237d561d5:g:-0YAAOSwO6hdzknD   I think I understand you correctly re swapping the dampers. The units come all complete so you would need to remove the top plate and spring and then switch the damper from front to rear, is that correct??

I assume adjustable ones could be fitted without swapping dampers around??, seems to be various ones available, could you help with identifying which ones?

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris , yeah that’s the ones , and yeah you switch just dampers as you said , the ones with adjustable dampers are identical except for adjuster on top of each damper, to be far once you get these ones set they give a good ride quality, don’t forget you have to elongate the top hole in the rear mounts on coilovers and bring in the top late mounts on the front ones 

10 hours ago, Herbie said:

According to others who have done it and reported back, it makes no difference, and nor should it in my view.

It makes the car no more or less safe, and it makes the car no more or less desirable/nickable, so no real justification for a change of premiums.

Whether it it makes little or no difference is not the point, as what is material are the terms and conditions you agree to and upon which a policy is issued.  My policy is with Ageas, a leading insurer. I quote from what they say in their document.  "Vehicle changed in any way from the manufacturer's standard specification? This would include changes to the bodywork (such as spoilers or body kits), changes to suspension or brakes, cosmetic changes (such as alloy wheels or paint), changes affecting performance......all changes made from the manufacturer's standard specification must be disclosed......)

Such requirements are typical of many Insurers.  Another policy I had was with LV on my BMW.  I had to report the fact that I had fitted the small boot spoiler and the front bumper from the sport version of my E39 to my standard car.  BMW give identical  speed for both so really more cosmetic.  I also reported I had fitted the later wheels from an E60 but keeping the standard tyres.  I was immediately charged an increase in premium.  Had I not told them and the car had been in an accident, they could have wriggled out of a claim or reduced the amount paid out.

It's always worth checking your policy as some Insurers will not even provide standard cover if alterations are contemplated to suspension or performance enhancing.

Barry 14 UK is spot on  Herbie.

The insurance contract is between the insurer and the insured. It has conditions which MUST  be adhered to regardless of what the insured thinks. ANY FAILURE to follow the terms of the contract to the spirit and to the letter may have serious consequences for the insured.

Many insured people sadly do not read the terms of their insurance policy and prefer to go along instead with what they have been told by a friend or by Forum Members.

I'm not saying that you don't need to inform the insurance of the modification, of course you do.

13 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Interested to know reaction of insurer to this mod and whether it results in appreciable increase in premium.

What I'm saying, in answer to Barry's post above, is that the insurance people should (in theory at least) have no justification for increasing premiums.

The main aspects of modification that insurers are interested in are safety and desirability. For instance, fitting a set of alloy wheels at, say, £1500 would make the car (or at least the wheels) more desirable to scrotes nicking it/them than a set of steel wheels at £150, so they'll put up premiums to take account of the increased risk.

Changing from air to sprung suspension makes no difference to desirability or (as far as I'm aware) safety, so although the insurance people must be informed of the modification, there should be no reason for them to increase premiums.

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

Changing from air to sprung suspension makes no difference to desirability or (as far as I'm aware) safety, so although the insurance people must be informed of the modification, there should be no reason for them to increase premiums.

Hope insurers look at it this way Herbie, for the benefit of those that have done modifications. Some are more flexible than others and Insurers sometimes hedge their risk and refer to underwriters for their opinion, particularly when a car is modified.  Setting aside adding value, they are particularly concerned that changes to brakes, suspension and engine performance may be used to enable a car to be used to drive the car harder or in competition.  (The latter would of course be extremely unlikely with an RX).   Another insurer told me that changing the grill in front of my radiator would have to be reported because it increased the air flow and power to the engine.  I had to point out that the air supply for combustion came from under the side of the front wing in that particular car, where it was fed directly into the standard unmodified air cleaner box, so nothing to do with air passing through the aforementioned grill.

The reason I asked about insurers reaction, was because my car has air suspension and it is likely that I might change to springs eventually. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mike

Got the coil overs and just starting the job. You have used the longer units on the front instead of the back requiring the swopping of the top plate, correct?

As you have said I have found all the top mounting holes need elongating the front ones quite a lot. Also on the rear bottom mounting plate holes are a long way apart which I plan to re-drill a new hole in the plate, is that what you did?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris , top plates and lower mounts , also i elongated upper hole in rear mount, also keep the ten kg springs on front, I also put plate washers on top mount bolt locations 

Mike

Just swopping the top plates over but have found the fixing screw arrangement is different between the two dampeners. The top plate fixes to a smaller plate underneath see pic so will need to swop these over as well but I see no way of removing them? They appear to be pressed onto a ball joint.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

lexus.jpg

Mike

Did you fit new shorter drop links for the anti roll bars as the brackets for them on the new units are in a different place?

Or did you manage somehow to refit old ones?

Thanks

Chris