Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1999 LS400 Starting issue - starter motor

J4ck100

Hi all,

I am having an issue which appears to be getting worse, though it is intermittent

Sometimes when I go to start my car, I get on crank for 2 seconds and no more

Key out, back in again, perhaps one more crank and nothing, no turn over

Then maybe 3rd or 4th time i get it fire up fine as if nothing happened

Battery is tested as fine

Doing some research it looks like this could be starter motor related?

What would be the best course of action?

Thanks

jack

HI jack

This is common problem on the LS400 - the starter motor contacts wear out causing the symptoms you describe.

You can buy the parts (motor contacts) and replace them - a few years ago the parts were available through eBay and you could buy them for a few quid but I cannot see them now.

The alternative is to buy and replace the starter motor.

Unfortunately as the the starter motor in positioned inside the "V" there is alot of dismantling required to get to it including removing the manifold so before you get a garage involved make sure they know what they are doing.

• Thanks 1

The kit is still available on eBay, I did mine around 10 years ago with the same kit and it’s been fine since...I can’t say the same for my back which never fully recovered!

If you are DIYing expect 8-10 hours to do the job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-STARTER-MOTOR-REPAIR-KIT-ALL-MODELS-VARIANTS-Free-Helpline-Website/290913336080?hash=item43bbc93b10:g:fYcAAOxygo9Q6ynu

Starter part number is 28100-50052

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Before condemming the starter motor  verify the fault. Disconnect the solenoid supply and connect a 12v supply from the Battery to it.

It may be the starter relay faulty, easily replaced or put a jumper on the power contacts of the relay.

Last, it may be the ignition switch contacts or the ignition barrel not completing a full travel.

Chris.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links