Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Early impressions

Ian J. Parsley

I went to my dealer to switch from my NX (which we don't really need any more since my wife got a UX) to an IS, and came away with an ES! This is the first time really I have come away with a car other than the one I intended to buy!

Mine is the F-Sport with Tech Pack and Protection Pack.

To share some immediate first impressions about this specific car, which are almost entirely positive:

- it is *extraordinarily* quiet, especially up to around 50-60mph;

- it is a much smoother ride than the 2017 NX F-Sport I had, and also (though the difference isn't as marked) versus my wife's 2020 UX;

- the lack of auto-boot lid is rendered close to irrelevant by the fact the boot lid opens fully on its springs anyway;

- it is even more evident that any reviewer telling you about a "growl" hasn't actually driven the car (this simply does not exist even under fairly hard acceleration);

- I still haven't worked out what to do with the lumbar support...

And some impressions about 2020 vehicles in general versus 2017:

- the infotainment is still in the "unnecessarily complex" category but it is more intuitive than it was and the graphics are much better;

- the adaptive cruise is markedly improved, now operating from 18mph and more readily;

- most notably of all, the transition between EV and engine, which was always smooth, is now undetectable other than by looking at the screen;

- Lexus Link telling you how you performed at that last roundabout is slightly freaky...

As with anything, whether an ES is a good buy will depend somewhat on personal circumstances. It was clear that the dealership wanted me to go that way (the ES F-Sport came in cheaper than the IS F-Sport) and that's fine. If you are looking for a true driver's car, the ES was never designed for that (although it's not bad, tbc!) but if you are in the market for a saloon which combines coupe looks with a bit of luxury, I'd say it's hard to beat.

20 Lexus ES (passenger).JPG

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 3:37 PM, Frank howe said:

Can I delete the currant navigation guidance using voice commands on my new 2020 es300h?

You can’t on the ‘19 so I’d be surprised in you could on the ‘20.  It’s still a few manual steps to get to the delete button.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links