Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h buying advice

My LS460 is getting on a bit now as its approaching 400,000km. Budget wont stretch to the new LS yet so I’m considering A straight purchase of a 2017 RX 450h in either Lux trim with pan roof or the Premier trim. Preferred colour Sonic Titanium with a lighter interior if possible although most seem black interior.

I’d welcome any particular advice on what to look out for when buying or any particular dealers to contact in the UK? I have test driven a 450h recently and was impressed ( i did miss the air suspension and grunt of the V8 power).

Thanks

Peter

• Like 2

Premier trim if you can stretch to it will give you the whole experience including the adjustable (non air) suspension which will give you the same ride as an F sport plus a lot more kit. The standard HUD is great. 

Important Buy a car registered before April  2017 and it will be £115 a year rather than £400+ Road Tax

I love the fuel consumption = average nearly 37mpg over 7,000 miles since November. 

If it has diamond cut wheels check the centres for signs of corrosion and push for a proper refurbishment or replacement. 

There has been a recall for fuel pump replacement, check if it needs to be done. 

My January 17 car had a water pump at 24000 miles before I bought it. That cost over £1000, so make sure you buy a Lexus Approved car with full warranty. 

I have cream leather with brown interior and sapele wood. I sought out this combo because I didn't want black 

Feel free to ask me more questions. 

Good hunting 

• Like 4

Firstly great choice, the RX 450h is a terrific car! I have driven 2 models this year (F sport and the long wheel base). I would suggest trying to get the premier so that you can get the mark levinson sound system?
I dont know of any major issues to look out for, I guess the usual used car advice such as check for knocks or sensors lighting up dash etc? I love sonic titanium one of my favourite colours

• Like 1

1 minute ago, olliesgrandad said:

Premier trim if you can stretch to it will give you the whole experience including the adjustable (non air) suspension which will give you the same ride as an F sport plus a lot more kit. The standard HUD is great. 

Important Buy a car registered before April  2017 and it will be £115 a year rather than £400+ Road Tax

I love the fuel consumption = average nearly 37mpg over 7,000 miles since November. 

If it has diamond cut wheels check the centres for signs of corrosion and push for a proper refurbishment or replacement. 

There has been a recall for fuel pump replacement, check if it needs to be done. 

My January 17 car had a water pump at 24000 miles before I bought it. That cost over £1000, so make sure you buy a Lexus Approved car with full warranty. 

I have cream leather with brown interior and sapele wood. I sought out this combo because I didn't want black 

Feel free to ask me more questions. 

Good hunting 

Thats great advice! I never knew about the recall! Yeah the luxury car tax thing is a joke! Oh your interior sounds lush!

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

I have a 2019 Sonic Titanium RX450h with a Cream leather/Noble Brown interior (I also wanted a lighter interior). It is classed as the RX + Premium Pack, but I believe very close to Luxury trim of the 2017 model year. It lacks the HUD/adaptive suspension of the Premier model, but does have a heated steering wheel (something the Luxury model doesn't have). I have no complaints of the ride quality of my RX, but I've never driven a model with adaptive suspension so can't compare (I did used to have an Jag XF with adaptive suspension, and in my opinion my Lexus without it is more comfortable than the Jag). I find in comfortable to drive on all road surfaces, with perhaps a little 'float' when driving at speed on fast, twisty A-roads (but then I just slow down a little 😉). I would suggest trying to take a reasonable length test drive over a variety of road surfaces if possible to decide whether you think the adaptive suspension is essential or not.

I would also suggest ensuring you are able to get on with the Lexus Premier Navigation mouse pad; personally I have got used to how it works and find it OK to use, but others may have different opinions.

I would recommend Lexus Stockport and Milton Keynes, these are the two dealerships I've dealt with in the past, and I have no complaints with either of them.

Good luck on your search.

• Like 2

I should have said that the ML sound system in the gen 4 car is far superior the gen3 version. 

The later system upscales mp3s. Music I have played off the same USB stick sounds totally different (in a good way) played in my 2017 car compared to my 2015 Advance. 

Many thanks to all for the excellent advice. My LS has the Mark Levinson sound system and I must say its very good. I will be buying in the UK and importing the car into Ireland. Reasons for this are choice of cars and slightly lower cost. Seems a good time to buy as the UK September plate change has lots of trade ins available. Most of the cars for sale here are through Toyota dealers and are imported from UK also. The one I tested last week came from Lexus in Cheltenham. Large Toyota dealers here seem to get a delivery each month of 5 or 6 RX450h ex UK cars typically 3 year olds. Looks like Lexus dispose of the volume to help keep residual values up. Road tax for the 450h here is only €270 per year compared to the LS €2000 per year! so that would be a welcome change.  I will keep looking for the right colour / spec combo.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links