Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel bearing hub

Imerz_v250

Hi guys and girls. Im having issues with my 07 IS250 auto. When i pull off i can hear a grumbling noise from left wheel for a second or so and goes away once speed has increased. At first, i suspected the disc or pads. I swaped them around from left to right to see if noise swapped but it didnt. I then thought possibly tyres. I then swapped tyres from to front and the noise still persists. The only thing i can boil it down to is the wheel bearing hub. So my main question is are the hubs handed?? I want to swap them around to see if the noise goes to right side. Any help would be appreciated before i start the task. 

Hi Emran and welcome to the LOC.

Yes they are left and right handed so cannot be stopped from side to side.

Your method seems a little labour intensive if it were possible to swop them over from one side to the other. You can normally detect wear in the bearings by spinning the wheel and rocking it top to bottom and side to side when jacked up.

If you want a complete hub check out Rockauto based in the USA they offer many options and parts generally arrive in a few days.

• Like 1

Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome. After doing research, it seems that you can have bad hubs and would not show any play rocking it from top to bottom. I know it seems labour intensive, but i dont want be fixing something thats not broke. It could be that its in its early stage of bad hub before it does start to have play. 

7 hours ago, Imerz_v250 said:

Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome. After doing research, it seems that you can have bad hubs and would not show any play rocking it from top to bottom. I know it seems labour intensive, but i dont want be fixing something thats not broke. It could be that its in its early stage of bad hub before it does start to have play. 

When I first bought my 2009 IS250 from a Lexus dealer, my first big holiday trip was down to Austria. When down there, I noticed a rumbling noise from the front right wheel which intensified when weight was put on it due to cornering loads, which is a classic sign of a worn wheel bearing.

On my return to the UK, I took it into my local dealer as it was under a Lexus used car warranty and a technician came with me and drove the car and heard it straight away, but his diagnosis was worn front tyres. He did put it on a ramp and checked the wheels but came to the same conclusion. I subsequently changed the half worn tyres and needless to say the noise remained. A different technician at the same dealer then pronounced, yes it was a faulty wheel bearing which got changed and of course the noise went away.

My wife made a pithy remark, that I should send the invoice for the 2 new tyres to the dealer as they were not the problem at all.

All this goes to show that Lexus technicians are not infallible.

• Like 1

Hi bernieeccles. Yes that was another suspected thing as well but i did put spare wheel on just to test the the noise but it was still there. I was going to swap the bearing today but was told that they are sided so i didn't bother (done paddling pool instead 🤣.) Im going to buy a budget wheel hub and change to see if it goes away. If it does happy days. Once warranty runs out il buy quality part. 

On 8/8/2020 at 7:18 PM, Imerz_v250 said:

Hi bernieeccles. Yes that was another suspected thing as well but i did put spare wheel on just to test the the noise but it was still there. I was going to swap the bearing today but was told that they are sided so i didn't bother (done paddling pool instead 🤣.) Im going to buy a budget wheel hub and change to see if it goes away. If it does happy days. Once warranty runs out il buy quality part. 

bit puzzled by the last bit "Once warranty runs out il buy quality part. " ....... if it is still in warranty, why are you fixing it?   why not let Lexus or the warranty people do it?

53 minutes ago, jumbojake said:

bit puzzled by the last bit "Once warranty runs out il buy quality part. " ....... if it is still in warranty, why are you fixing it?   why not let Lexus or the warranty people do it?

Sorry for any confusion. The car is not under any warranty. What i meant is il buy a budget hub which has a 1 year warranty as standard. If that part fixes the issue then il buy another quality part and replace again bit with a quality part. Hope this makes sense

• 2 weeks later...

Right then boys and girls. Issue fixed with this. I did replace wheel bearing hub and put new knuckle ball joints as the grease had come out from the tie rod end ball joint at same time and unfortunately this wasn't the problem. In the end it was exhaust shield bracket rubbing and vibrating against the body of the car. All fixed for 10 quid. Oh well at least got new bearing and ball joints. 

• Like 1

Isn't it amazing how one can get fooled by 'rumbling ' noises and from where they're coming from. 

Well done Emran on getting to the bottom of your issue and for sharing your conclusive fix. 👍

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Isn't it amazing how one can get fooled by 'rumbling ' noises and from where they're coming from. 

Well done Emran on getting to the bottom of your issue and for sharing your conclusive fix. 👍

I know it's mad, it's even more difficult to narrow down when the whole car body vibrates. Thanks for the kind words and if somebody does experiences this, it's another place to look. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi People,
I have a problem with my 2006 IS250 and i've tried everything. Don't know what it is, can you please look at the video i made for it and suggest? wheel bearing? front axle? differential oil? back axle? i'm loosing my mind. The sound seems to be from the front driver side. Replaced the front wheel bearings (driver and passenger side) about 2 times.
My mechanics are currently suggesting it may be a bad "auxiliary", "differential", "short differential oil", front axle or back axle. The issue is, there's no way to be sure as most mechanics here in Nigeria do guess work mostly.
Please help
Please see my video here. https://youtu.be/yrvFpm5jwSE

On 8/8/2020 at 5:52 PM, bernieeccles said:

When I first bought my 2009 IS250 from a Lexus dealer, my first big holiday trip was down to Austria. When down there, I noticed a rumbling noise from the front right wheel which intensified when weight was put on it due to cornering loads, which is a classic sign of a worn wheel bearing.

On my return to the UK, I took it into my local dealer as it was under a Lexus used car warranty and a technician came with me and drove the car and heard it straight away, but his diagnosis was worn front tyres. He did put it on a ramp and checked the wheels but came to the same conclusion. I subsequently changed the half worn tyres and needless to say the noise remained. A different technician at the same dealer then pronounced, yes it was a faulty wheel bearing which got changed and of course the noise went away.

My wife made a pithy remark, that I should send the invoice for the 2 new tyres to the dealer as they were not the problem at all.

All this goes to show that Lexus technicians are not infallible.

Hi Bernie,
I have a problem with my 2006 IS250 and i've tried everything. Don't know what it is, can you please look at the video i made for it and suggest? wheel bearing? front axle? differential oil? back axle? i'm loosing my mind. The sound seems to be from the front driver side. Replaced the front wheel bearings (driver and passenger side) about 2 times.
My mechanics are currently suggesting it may be a bad "auxiliary", "differential", "short differential oil", front axle or back axle. The issue is, there's no way to be sure as most mechanics here in Nigeria do guess work mostly.
Please help

• 6 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 7:40 PM, Tsukanmi said:

Hi Bernie,
Please help

Sounds like a wheel bearing. I had a front wheel bearing fail on my IS250, and it sounded similar!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links