Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My ISF broke down today, Major transmission fluid leak!!!

Hi Dan, thanks for this. It seems there is an updated part number re the radiator that is fitted to the later ISF's. So 2008 to 2011 comes up with the following P/N: 16400-38210 and the 2011 to 2014 comes up with the following P/N: 16400-38211. Could it be that the later cars dont have the issue as it was addressed in the change to the radiator? I'm thinking if us pre 2011 owners can upgrade to the later radiator?

5 hours ago, NothernDan said:

For those who are interested, this is my quote for the preventative work. Assume your 15% gold member discount off the parts so about £50 off the total. 

IMG_20200817_144252.thumb.jpg.b5dce4f0bbef077a4baae6dc35c9c76d.jpg

That's a lot less that I was expecting, good to see.

One thing that caught my eye however is the radiator part code "16400-38H10", I believe I'm correct in saying that's that's a different code to the "16400-38210" that came on the cars?

If so then hopefully Lexus/Toyota just decided to randomly change the part number for no reason because if they revised the part without issuing a recall for a potential transmission killer that's really lame.

*EDIT*

Yup, 16400-38210 shows as replaced by 16400-38H10 in multiple parts databases.

8 minutes ago, ubersonic said:

That's a lot less that I was expecting, good to see.

One thing that caught my eye however is the radiator part code "16400-38H10", I believe I'm correct in saying that's that's a different code to the "16400-38210" that came on the cars?

If so then hopefully Lexus/Toyota just decided to randomly change the part number for no reason because if they revised the part without issuing a recall for a potential transmission killer that's really lame.

*EDIT*

Yup, 16400-38210 shows as replaced by 16400-38H10 in multiple parts databases.

Hi Mate, what databases have you referred to?

3 minutes ago, Arqum said:

Hi Mate, what databases have you referred to?

Hi man, I checked on parts.lexus.com and lexuspartsnow.com both of which are maintained by big US distributers and reference Lexus/Toyota databases, plus toyomods.com which is a Russian database (really good one too, a decade or so ago it was THE site for finding a part number, especially if you already had the Lexus code but wanted the corresponding Toyota one to save money).

15 minutes ago, Arqum said:

Nice one. What do you make of the following part number Re the radiator on the later ISF 16400-38211

As far as I can tell, The 08-10 ISF received the 16400-38210 part code radiator from the factory, whereas the 2011 model and later received the 16400-38211 part code radiator instead.  It seems the 16400-38210 was then superseded/replaced by the 16400-38H10 (although I can't tell exactly when after 2010 that occurred).

One thing that nobody apart Lexus can explain though is why that all happened, I.E was the radiator changed on the 2011 model due to the new headlights/suspension/something requiring it or did they discover something they didn't like about it's structural reliability (surely if it was changed to improve cooling performance that would have been mentioned).  The odd thing though is that the 38H10 replaces the 38210, but not the 38211, which means if there is an issue with the 38210 then why not just have the 38211 supersede it instead, unless it doesn't physically fit.

It's all quite bizarre.

Very and we will never get a straight answer tbh. If you order the later car one and it doesn't fit you are stuck with it. But I don't see why it shouldn't as the block etc is the same. 

8 hours ago, Northern isf said:

I rang Leeds up about this and reckon the fluid is changed out on the big service, haven't had chance to check my invoices as my cars parked in another unit anyone know if that's the case? 

They did mine as part of the major service in Feb. Coolant and ATF. 

• Like 1

Interesting stuff. Do the US forums comment on the change over dates, or ways of identifying which rad you have? Does anyone know over there the improvements the newer rad brings? Might not make any difference to this issue. I'm hoping my '11 plate has already got an improved rad and not at risk (wishful thinking!).

I recall a poster on that forum called Jeff Lang ( I think ) was very knowledgable on Lexus parts ( think he worked in a dealership somewhere)

might be good to PM him?

Hi guys, I've just been quoted just over £1900 including VAT by my local Lexus dealer for a new radiator, water pump, belt and tensioner. With the rad needing to be done as preventive on my 2008 I thought it would be a lot easier to do the pump as it's still on the original. They are quoting 6 hours labour required. Parts come to £1025 including VAT. For my situation I'll be looking into other options. Just a heads up for others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arqum said:

Wow that's a lot! The pump is easy to change once the radiator is off plus its already drained! 

They know how to charge, 14 hours they quoted me for swapping a gearbox, I have built full engines and installed them in less time,

20 hours ago, ubersonic said:

As far as I can tell, The 08-10 ISF received the 16400-38210 part code radiator from the factory, whereas the 2011 model and later received the 16400-38211 part code radiator instead.  It seems the 16400-38210 was then superseded/replaced by the 16400-38H10 (although I can't tell exactly when after 2010 that occurred).

One thing that nobody apart Lexus can explain though is why that all happened, I.E was the radiator changed on the 2011 model due to the new headlights/suspension/something requiring it or did they discover something they didn't like about it's structural reliability (surely if it was changed to improve cooling performance that would have been mentioned).  The odd thing though is that the 38H10 replaces the 38210, but not the 38211, which means if there is an issue with the 38210 then why not just have the 38211 supersede it instead, unless it doesn't physically fit.

It's all quite bizarre.

You often see part code changes on various parts throughout the life of a vehicle. Some are design changes to improve performance or make assembly easier, others to save costs, or even to change supplier.

It is unlikely that the change in 2011 is to stop this particular issue occurring as even the earliest models wouldn't have been old enough to have suffered the issue for it to be known about (corrosion or joint failure via long term vibration/heat cycling stress are really the only reasons for these sort of failures).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

So £280 for the (uprated) rad and £175 for the water pump plus coolant plus a reasonable non lexus labour rate is starting to cost in. Any reason not to trust a reliable mechanic to do this?? Or is it even a competent DIY job.??

3 minutes ago, Arqum said:

I'm confused as I've been advised that I should have the gearbox oil, filter and gasket changed at the same time as this work?

If this is a preventative job which some of us might consider isn't it just the case of swapping the rad which requires replacing the coolant but just topping up the transmission fluid with what you lose in the intercooler bit of the radiator. That's what I did on my Mitsi L200 pick up last year. I could be missing something of course.