Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My ISF broke down today, Major transmission fluid leak!!!

I use a trusted local garage that tends to work on high end stuff and their labour rate is 45+vat, ends up being quite a large saving. My friend runs it so that ticks off the trust side of things. They look after everything from Doris' 15 year old fiesta to new Gt3rs's, it's quite amusing going in sometimes and seeing those parked up next to each other! 

I need to have a word with him about doing this work next time I see him. It's likely I'll buy the parts in from the web link above (thanks!), radiator, coolant and a couple of litres of transmission fluid to top it up and may as well get a oil service kit whilst it's up in the air.

11 hours ago, gb1600e said:

If this is a preventative job which some of us might consider isn't it just the case of swapping the rad which requires replacing the coolant but just topping up the transmission fluid with what you lose in the intercooler bit of the radiator. That's what I did on my Mitsi L200 pick up last year. I could be missing something of course.

Correct. Obviously it doesn't hurt to refresh the ATF every few years but no need to do it at the same time.

11 hours ago, gb1600e said:

Any reason not to trust a reliable mechanic to do this?? Or is it even a competent DIY job.??

No. Certainly doesn't need a Lexus mechanic to do it. Just make sure the correct Toyota fluids are used and not alternatives, especially for the ATF.

• Thanks 1

I've rang 3 places so far. 2 took a deep breath saying we don't advise touching the gearbox as its sealed for life. If you try to replace the fluid we will not be held responsible for any damage caused to the box. Waiting for the other one to call me back. 

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Correct. Obviously it doesn't hurt to refresh the ATF every few years but no need to do it at the same time.

No. Certainly doesn't need a Lexus mechanic to do it. Just make sure the correct Toyota fluids are used and not alternatives, especially for the ATF.

I had a full transmission flush with Redline 2 months ago, transmission works flawlessly. 

Screenshot_20200819-210640_eBay.jpg

13 hours ago, Irish ISF said:

Was your gearbox gone?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Dont know for certain, but Lexus wanted £3700 for the initial repair, but couldnt rule out that it wouldnt need a new gearbox, it worked out cheaper to just fit a new box

2 hours ago, Arqum said:

So the radiator is out of stock and a provisional date of 15th Sept to come in to stock, that's not confirmed either, may be longer... 

I got mine today

Thought I'd drop in as my 2010 car had a new radiator installed by the previous owner during the 90k mile service 6 months before I bought it in 2018. 

I dug out the paperwork to check the part number and it is U16400-38H10. 

• Like 3

Interesting. So I've read the tech service manual Re the work for the Rad and it states you should drain the gearbox and refill post rad change. Seems some dealers do it and some don't. 

On 8/19/2020 at 10:15 AM, Arqum said:

I've rang 3 places so far. 2 took a deep breath saying we don't advise touching the gearbox as its sealed for life. If you try to replace the fluid we will not be held responsible for any damage caused to the box. Waiting for the other one to call me back. 

A proper service can never hurt the transmission. The lack of service beforehand however, can. Unfortunately it's very easy for technicians to get blamed for problems that occur after a fluid change which is why they might be reluctant to do it. If you change the fluid and the transmission goes out at some point later, it was the lack of service initially that killed it, not the service.

Ordered my radiator and associated bits yesterday, got an email today saying there has been a spike in demand recently and delivery isn't likely until mid September, a bit of a shame as I was hoping to get it done asap.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links