Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS460 automatic lights staying on

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but if I have my lights set to "auto" they still stay on when I park the car and lock it. Even after an hour, for example, the lights are still on (daytime running lights, not the main driving headlights).

As said, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong....so any ideas?

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, TyrannosauRoss Lex said:

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but if I have my lights set to "auto" they still stay on when I park the car and lock it. Even after an hour, for example, the lights are still on (daytime running lights, not the main driving headlights).

Thanks!

If you are following the procedure as set out in the Handbook, then do not set to Auto. Leave on manual as some previous owner might have done something they shouldn`t.

I never use  auto as I wish to follow my training which began just after Stephenson`s Rocket went off the rails Ross.

• Like 2

I'm almost sure that a 2006 car would not have factory-fitted daytime running lights so maybe these have been wired incorrectly when they were installed?

DRLs are meant to be powered on with the ignition but should also either dim or go off completely when the side/tail lights come on. This is because they have to be bright enough to be seen in full sunlight, but that same level of brightness would dazzle other drivers at night when it's dark.

• Like 2

Sorry that was my poor use of language, they are not daytime running lights, but just the side lights.... The ones you wouldn't just use at night! They stay on if I use auto for the lights. I do not believe they stay on of I use auto for the lights whilst the car is on and it's broad daylight outside. I will check later though! I called them DRL because I checked the owners manual online and it referred to them as DRL rather than side lights. 

3 hours ago, TyrannosauRoss Lex said:

Thanks!

Is the top of the dashboard clear of any items near the windscreen? such as parking tickets. The sensor for the lights is in the top of the dash, and if covered the car thinks it is dark.

John.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Is the top of the dashboard clear of any items near the windscreen? such as parking tickets. The sensor for the lights is in the top of the dash, and if covered the car thinks it is dark.

John.

I'm not saying they stay on when I'm driving, I'm saying they stay on of the car is totally switched off and locked, so that shouldn't make a difference anyway I wouldn't have thought.

11 hours ago, Happy Jim said:

I had the same phenomenon a few times, never worked out what it was though (unlock followed by locking woke it up each time though)

Rgds

Jim

Did you ever solve it? It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to just leave the lights on auto all the time.