Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As a person who owns, and looking to sell their chariot, or, as a buyer who is looking to make an informed decision.

If such a service existed, what would you be prepared to pay to establish.

A. As a seller, your car has a perfectly working hybrid system and or air suspension?

B. The same, as a prospective buyer, what would you be prepared to pay, to know exactly how well the hybrid system is working, (the condition of each cell) or if there are any pending faults in the air suspension, struts, control unit or compressor. To know active tests have been performed and the results.

As far as I am aware, a lexus hybrid health check, simply says PASS. does not provide you the nitty gritty.

Never seen a Air suspension health check. What would that be worth? What would you be pre pared to pay, to know?

A. Pay nothing and show buyer a full LSH and the current Hybrid Test Cert (which guarantees for 10,000 miles).

B. Pay nothing and buy from a Lexus Dealer,thus receiving 12 monhts warranty and then take out a Lexus Extended Warranty at approx £45 per month to cover all mechanical and electrical problems up to 140,000 miles.

Check the Dictionary for meaning of the word "nitty gritty" as they could get you into a load of bother with the current woke fraternity. I am personally comfortable with the phrase, but the World is going mad over historical matters.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

A. Pay nothing and show buyer a full LSH and the current Hybrid Test Cert (which guarantees for 10,000 miles).

B. Pay nothing and buy from a Lexus Dealer,thus receiving 12 monhts warranty and then take out a Lexus Extended Warranty at approx £45 per month to cover all mechanical and electrical problems up to 140,000 miles.

Check the Dictionary for meaning of the word "nitty gritty" as they could get you into a load of bother with the current woke fraternity. I am personally comfortable with the phrase, but the World is going mad over historical matters.

Which, ironically is what my wife did. She bought from a Lexus Dealer, with full LSH and Warranty.

She loves it.

I like it because it's a RX 450H - she likes it because it's blue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PCM said:

Which, ironically is what my wife did. She bought from a Lexus Dealer, with full LSH and Warranty.

She loves it.

I like it because it's a RX 450H - she likes it because it's blue.

You will be receiving my fee shortly mi amigo !!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Would agree but if you look at the Lexus web site and you are interested on buying something slightly older and say less that £15k then don't bother.  Lexus are not interested in the buyer who is looking for a 2nd hand car under say £15k as mainly these people are not Lexus's targeted buyers.  There are a large amount of people who do not have cash to burn on a car (ok maybe PCP, lease hire etc.) but that is a different ball game.  If such a service is targeted correctly it could work.  Would do a sliding scale of costs to do all the donkey work.  For instance Lexus say for an extended warranty on a used Lexus there are restrictions (10 years old and 140k miles) but is seems that those restrictions are not set in stone.  Hence it would be good to know before buying a Lexus is they will provide an extended warranty. 

• Like 1

As a seller you would have to consider whether the cost of establishing and being able to show all was in good order would more likely result in a sale or higher price if car sold privately.  I doubt Lexus dealers would pay more as they hedge their warranty costs elsewhere. 

If you buy direct from Lexus or reputable dealer you have the guarantee.   Maybe some people would be prepared when buying privately to pay extra for this as they sometimes do for a pre purchase RAC inspection and report.

It also has to be remembered that like the MOT, the check is only applicable at that point in time and Battery and air suspension components could fail unpredictably shortly after testing/inspection. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KenMavor said:

Would agree but if you look at the Lexus web site and you are interested on buying something slightly older and say less that £15k then don't bother.  Lexus are not interested in the buyer who is looking for a 2nd hand car under say £15k as mainly these people are not Lexus's targeted buyers.  There are a large amount of people who do not have cash to burn on a car (ok maybe PCP, lease hire etc.) but that is a different ball game.  If such a service is targeted correctly it could work.  Would do a sliding scale of costs to do all the donkey work.  For instance Lexus say for an extended warranty on a used Lexus there are restrictions (10 years old and 140k miles) but is seems that those restrictions are not set in stone.  Hence it would be good to know before buying a Lexus is they will provide an extended warranty. 

This is the angle I am coming from. I am big enough to openly admit I do not have the financial clout to purchase from a Lexus dealer. So the options/suggestions made in the second response to this thread, as valid as they are, are some what moot.

I cannot be the only person that has bought a Lexus outside of the dealer network. The hybrid side I am comfortable with. But looking to change from my 400h se-l to a 450h se-l. But that comes with air suspension only. The monthly fee saved on paying for warranty would go a long way to changing over to non air should the need arise.

My understanding of air suspension. In a nut shell.  Absolutely brilliant, until it isn't. Could go wrong at as little as 60k miles or never.

But I can not help feel it would be nice to know prior to a purchase the current state of affairs.

Yes, a test is only true at that time. But if the test revealed 2 bags are leaking. Now. Today. Would that not help in making an informed decision.

What would that be worth?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Was that Caroline, North or South Davey ?

I was an ardent fan. All music and no adverts!

Caroline South at the time - I was the perfect age to appreciate what Caroline was putting out then. (just don't ask me what I think of current 'pop' music!)

Spent 20 minutes yesterday reading up on the history of Caroline (thank you Wiki!) - fascinating - didn't realise it was going for so long and in so many guises

39 minutes ago, Illogan said:

Caroline South at the time - I was the perfect age to appreciate what Caroline was putting out then. (just don't ask me what I think of current 'pop' music!)

Spent 20 minutes yesterday reading up on the history of Caroline (thank you Wiki!) - fascinating - didn't realise it was going for so long and in so many guises

An important and indelible part of our past then Davey.

34 minutes ago, Illogan said:

Indeed, although no matter how positive I feel, I'm aware that my past is increasing in length at the same rate as my future is shortening!  😬

Do not forget my old friend that regardless of the length of our pasts, our current glasses are at least half-full.