Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ABS rings replacement

Delp

Hello Is there can tutorial on replacing the abs rings on GS MK2. As thinking of replacing mine as they look quite worn. 😁

1 hour ago, Delp said:

Hello Is there can tutorial on replacing the abs rings on GS MK2. As thinking of replacing mine as they look quite worn. 😁

As long as you are not having any problems with the ABS system or getting fault codes I would leave things as they are. You say the rings look worn, but they should not be in contact with anything to ware them. The only connection they have is magnetic. If you start getting fault codes this is the time to look for problems, and if there is a problem the brakes will still work safely as the system is designed to fail safe.

John. 

• Like 1

The abs is kicking in at low speeds and slight juddering. May be a sensor.  No fault codes though. I could measure the sensor readings any thoughts. 

Check for clean contact connections of the wiring from the ABS sensors to the ABS ECU. If you have contact resistance in the connectors due to dirt or corrosion, that could trigger ABS operation. Usually bad connections you find in the connectors from the ABS sensors to the car's wiring.

Chris.

Just clean the contacts in the connectors so they are free of any rust or dirt. This should be enough for this case.

To measure a resistance with a volt meter, you need to measure the current as well through the circuit to determine the resistance in question. Much simpler with an Ohm meter.

Chris.

1 hour ago, Mihanicos said:

Just clean the contacts in the connectors so they are free of any rust or dirt. This should be enough for this case.

To measure a resistance with a volt meter, you need to measure the current as well through the circuit to determine the resistance in question. Much simpler with an Ohm meter.

Chris.

So suggest to just clean the contacts. I check the rings whilst I'm at it. I've got a multi meter not sure how to do it. 

Select the lowest Ohm range and remove the ABS connector from the car's wiring connector. Measure the resistance between each pin and its respective wire. You should get 0 Ohms. 

Chris.

12 hours ago, Mihanicos said:

Select the lowest Ohm range and remove the ABS connector from the car's wiring connector. Measure the resistance between each pin and its respective wire. You should get 0 Ohms. 

Chris.

Any idea how to get the sensor off it well stuck in there..