Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Only day 2 of RX300 ownership, absolute nightmare

The humming noise could be caused by the final drive pinion. I had the same problem with my prevous car,  a Mercedes 280CE.

I put 80W140 GL 5 oil  and it stopped. There was never any problem after that. This is cheaper and within specs than opening the final drive and adjusting the ring gear postion by changing the shims on eithet side of the pinion. In your case use the same low viscosity number as the one specified in the manual. It could be 70W..... or 75W....

Chris.

• Thanks 1

Have you had any further thoughts on chasing the original 'gumtree' seller?

Everyone here is great and right behind you, but there is still the underlying issue of the sale, description and reality?

Regards.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PCM said:

Everyone here is great and right behind you, but there is still the underlying issue of the sale, description and reality?

Regards.

Piers is spot on.You are best advised to pursue the problems logically.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PCM said:

Regards.

I hate to sound negative but I can't see that going very far, legal protection is far less for private sales than when buying from a dealer. The car only has to be roadworthy and match the advert description, it doesn't have to be fault-free. Even then the seller could just argue that the faults weren't present when it was sold, how is Adam to prove otherwise? I would take it as a life lesson and always get a pre-purchase inspection in future. I'm still hopeful that these issues can be easily remedied and aren't anything serious.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

I hate to sound negative but I can't see that going very far, legal protection is far less for private sales than when buying from a dealer. The car only has to be roadworthy and match the advert description, it doesn't have to be fault-free. Even then the seller could just argue that the faults weren't present when it was sold, how is Adam to prove otherwise? I would take it as a life lesson and always get a pre-purchase inspection in future. I'm still hopeful that these issues can be easily remedied and aren't anything serious.

You are right Mark,but if I thought (and could evidence) that you had sold me a car and hid from me facts or misled me or misrepresented the vehicle in any material way, I would have no compunction in suing you.

I feel that Piers is following a logical and sensible route which may or may not prove fruitful.

The sad fact may indeed turn out to be that due diligence was not followed by the new owner and the maxim of Caveat Emptor thus prevails.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

Even then the seller could just argue that the faults weren't present when it was sold, how is Adam to prove otherwise?

Are the error codes date stamped, when the condition first appeared?

• Like 2

that code appears to be for one of the o"2 -- lambda sensors. I had the same thing and it did cause the vsc and trac light to come on.

it is extremely unlikely that it has anything to do with the humming though

• Like 3

The P0037 code is an oxygen sensor code, but as the other Mark was saying, it may be a symptom, not a cause of the issue. That said, P0037 is the code for the oxygen sensor heater failure. That can be caused by something as simple as the sensor being unplugged. The other thing can be nibbled wiring by rodents, they do love to chew wires and the oxygen sensor wiring is right there under the car. Once you've eliminated the obvious reasons and also checked and confirmed the heater resistance in the sensor is not correct, then change the sensor . The P0037 will be the only code a simple reader will get out of the car.

It really needs a good deep diagnosis with a proper code reader like Techstream to have a chance at finding the VSC issue. A simple OBD reader won't show VSC codes. 

VSC errors can be tricky to diagnose as there are a raft of sensors that can cause the light to be lit. Mismatched tyres causing differential ABS sensor speeds on the wheels, the gearbox speed sensor, the steering angle sensor, the yaw sensor, all are tied into the VSC. Luckily other systems use these sensors so if the speedo is reading correctly and the ABS light isn't lit, the fault points more to steering or yaw sensor, wiring to one or more sensor or the VSC module itself. But don't take my word as gospel, diagnosis is the only way to be sure. 

The VSC error could be tied to the vibration/hum, but not necessarily. Only a deep diagnosis will give you an indication if that's the case.

Sorry to be vague, but diagnosis over the internet is about as accurate as reading runes, or staring into crystal balls. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all so much for all the help and the really useful replies!

i have some good news, been really busy over past few days trying to sort this out in addition to working full time. i took everyone’s advice and I sent the seller a letter threatening small court action (I found a template on the citizens advice beureu website) and like magic, he called me on Wednesday and agreed to get it fixed!

with regards to the humming noise, I took the car to a 4 wheel tracking place on Monday to get it checked out and they did an alignment on it but couldn’t identify the reason for the humming, they did however tell me that my aftermarket roof racks are making a lot of noise and I since realised that it’s a lot worse when the sunroof is open! That’s really reassuring to me but the last thing I’m going to do is get all the wheels balanced, they have Bridgestone SE031 Potenza on all of them I think it’s the OEM tyre. 

with regards to the main issue of the engine light, I showed the seller all the fantastic replies and advice about diagnosing the error as he was adamant it’s an easy fix of switching the sensor. I’m a bit concerned because I took it to the garage he recommended and they were unsure where the sensor is exactly on the car and which one it is. I was in the mindset of beggars can’t be choosers so I left it there for the mechanic to diagnose and repair at the sellers expense. Place isn’t where I would personally take my car, called S K motors on Windham Road in Bournemouth. 

I’m hopefully collecting it tomorrow. Just hope that it’s fixed and if a sensor is replaced they don’t use a cheap one. 

7E675C53-10D7-446D-89CB-8FC7D6CA92A3.jpeg

1948693E-D6C0-40FC-B5B1-76576A369AA0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 7:19 AM, m4rkw said:

@Rxowner has the transmission ever been serviced? Hopefully it has, at that mileage it should have been done twice but once would be better than never. 

Unfortunately not that I have found, I didn’t think of that i should really have done more research into what to look for before I got it. 
shifts really nicely though and feels great. Another thing I need to do is change the timing belt once all this pilava is over

On 8/11/2020 at 9:14 AM, m4rkw said:

I think you’re 100% right I have definitely learnt the hard way! I am lucky I had a response from my letter, although like you said if it ever does come to any legal action I won’t have a leg to stand on

On 8/12/2020 at 4:57 PM, Delphius1 said:

The P0037 code is an oxygen sensor code, but as the other Mark was saying, it may be a symptom, not a cause of the issue. That said, P0037 is the code for the oxygen sensor heater failure. That can be caused by something as simple as the sensor being unplugged. The other thing can be nibbled wiring by rodents, they do love to chew wires and the oxygen sensor wiring is right there under the car. Once you've eliminated the obvious reasons and also checked and confirmed the heater resistance in the sensor is not correct, then change the sensor . The P0037 will be the only code a simple reader will get out of the car.

It really needs a good deep diagnosis with a proper code reader like Techstream to have a chance at finding the VSC issue. A simple OBD reader won't show VSC codes. 

VSC errors can be tricky to diagnose as there are a raft of sensors that can cause the light to be lit. Mismatched tyres causing differential ABS sensor speeds on the wheels, the gearbox speed sensor, the steering angle sensor, the yaw sensor, all are tied into the VSC. Luckily other systems use these sensors so if the speedo is reading correctly and the ABS light isn't lit, the fault points more to steering or yaw sensor, wiring to one or more sensor or the VSC module itself. But don't take my word as gospel, diagnosis is the only way to be sure. 

The VSC error could be tied to the vibration/hum, but not necessarily. Only a deep diagnosis will give you an indication if that's the case.

Sorry to be vague, but diagnosis over the internet is about as accurate as reading runes, or staring into crystal balls. 🙂 

Not vague in the slightest that is an amazing and detailed response thank you. This is what I have shown the seller and mechanic. 
Didn’t want to be too pushy to the mechanic I know some of them are really sensitive and take it as if I am telling them how to do their job!

• Like 1

Good result, hope you get it sorted soon. Definitely get the transmission fluid changed ASAP. Just a drain and fill and replacement of the filter assembly, if they use the word "flush" run away.

• Like 1

When 'it's' all fixed, do ask what the fix was, so that you'll have a clear understanding of what the issue(s) was.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I am really impressed with how brilliantly members have pitched in to help Adam (OP).

Hope you get it sorted, Adam, but whatever the result, at least you've proved where to come for advice!

Thank you everyone! 😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Update:

managed to get the issue sorted. Seller covered the costs too! 
it was indeed the sensor, in the future if anyone has the issue it’s this one in the photo attached ( the mechanic was confused exactly which sensor it was but the diagram helped)  

only thing now is I think the mpg has taken a slight hit, or maybe I’m being paranoid  

either way, I am thinking of counting my losses and getting rid of it and getting a 400h instead as it’s a hybrid  

thanks again for everyone’s help!

0E6938CD-9421-4CE7-81EC-AD31B49BAEF4.jpeg

C480A3D4-414B-4758-859F-9E05C7E12EC8.jpeg

• Like 2

Good news!

The MPG will probably 'settle'.

I assume the Battery was disconnected for the work, which, I think, forgets your driving style, average mpg etc, and then 're-learns' it...?

4 hours ago, PCM said:

Good news!

The MPG will probably 'settle'.

I assume the battery was disconnected for the work, which, I think, forgets your driving style, average mpg etc, and then 're-learns' it...?

Ah didn’t know that would be the cause. Hopefully it is and it will settle

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links