Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 what Catastrophic unknowing failures

On my LS400 (back when I had it) failures were:

Power assisted steering cooler pipe in front of the radiator leaking.

Rain leaks into the boot area.

Front suspension strut coil snapped.

Sticky needle on the speedo.

Engine and transmission seemed bulletproof and I'm sure could have done many more miles (given a cam belt change) when I scrapped it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UNKNOWING CATASTROPHIC FAILURES for earlier Ls400s

the following issues can cause your car to perhaps just suddenly become immobilised 

Rear Strut Bars

rust ( inside these ) causes them to perhaps just collapse in normal driving conditions BUT after many years and are age/rust related ......... these are NOT picked up at MOT time

...........on a 93 model these can be replaced both sides with parts no................Tie Rod/Strut rod part 48780-50010 

PAS PIPEWORK LEAKS

This can often happen through simple fatigue over time and age

The pas cooler pipe in front of the radiator can be replaced with simple copper tubing of the appropriate bore size AND the mild steel pipework running down to this can be replaced with the appropriate flexi pipes ......  all in preference to the expensive mild steel replacement Toyota/Lexus parts

The pas fluid leaks onto the 

ALTERNATOR

which dies when affected and results in a premature replacement  BUT the alternator could randomly fail through age related wear and tear too ..............  mine just went suddenly at 227k miles

REAR BRAKE PIPES ( in part )

the rustiest part of the rear brake pipes underneath the retaining clips and above the splash shield by the rear offside door, none of which are immediately obvious without some dismantling, so could be missed at MoT time.

COIL PACKS

the MK1 & 2, not sure about the MK3 had only two coil packs, one for each bank, the most likely one failing is the passenger side due to the heat.  A failed coil pack knocks out four cylinders and causes serious overheating in the exhaust system. 

END

Malc

• Like 3

Malc...on my recent look at Lexus LS400's I also found very common ECU caps failure as a forum theme all Mks but particularly pre-97.

Also the dreaded EGR pipe from top engine rear to exhaust was a common failure.

I don't think either seemed to have just stopped the car in it's tracks but were major faults requiring immediate repair.

🙂

If memory serves me right, the ECU caps deteriorate over time and there are guys around that can fix them as they grow old and knackered and the EGR pipe can be cleaned out with some skill and/or simply blocked off

The Japanese cars don't have the EGR pipe ? is that right ?

This post is simply for unexpected and instant stoppers that might never get picked up prior to happening, service and issues like the above that never feature on any sort of " normal " servicing schedule unless you're aware .............  and an avid reader on this Forum :wink3:

Malc

• Like 1

Malc I’ve pinned this topic so it will remain prominent at the top of the list for easy access.

You are correct in that JDM cars like mine do not have an EGR system fitted as it is not a requirement in Japan.

I would just add that a power steering soaked alternator is usual a result of the rubber “O” ring failing on the reservoir, the replacement part is just a few pounds but fitting it requires removal of the pump to gain access to the reservoir fixing bolts.

• Like 1

Ah yes Steve, thanks for that reminder with the                          rubber "  O " ring failing and leaking onto the alternator

That happened to me on my J reg Mk1 about 15 years ago, a wet windy dark night on the M20 on my way home ....  the alternator just went " pop " and the brand new One-Time breakdown towing truck, well, broke down as it left it's depot 😲  .........  I managed to coast to under a bridge over the motorway

Malc

UNKNOWING CATASTROPHIC FAILURES for earlier Ls400s

the following issues can cause your car to perhaps just suddenly become immobilised 

Rear Strut Bars

rust ( inside these ) causes them to perhaps just collapse in normal driving conditions BUT after many years and are age/rust related ......... these are NOT picked up at MOT time

...........on a 93 model these can be replaced both sides with parts no................Tie Rod/Strut rod part 48780-50010 

PAS PIPEWORK LEAKS

This can often happen through simple fatigue over time and age

rubber "  O " ring failing and leaking onto the alternator

AND the pas cooler pipe in front of the radiator can be replaced with simple copper tubing of the appropriate bore size AND the mild steel pipework running down to this can be replaced with the appropriate flexi pipes ......  all in preference to the expensive mild steel replacement Toyota/Lexus parts

The pas fluid leaks onto the 

ALTERNATOR

which dies when affected and results in a premature replacement  BUT the alternator could randomly fail through age related wear and tear too ..............  mine just went suddenly at 227k miles

REAR BRAKE PIPES ( in part )

the rustiest part of the rear brake pipes underneath the retaining clips and above the splash shield by the rear offside door, none of which are immediately obvious without some dismantling, so could be missed at MoT time.

COIL PACKS

the MK1 & 2, not sure about the MK3 had only two coil packs, one for each bank, the most likely one failing is the passenger side due to the heat.  A failed coil pack knocks out four cylinders and causes serious overheating in the exhaust system. 

END

Malc

• 1 month later...

Hello Malc

Thanks for this. I can confirm that the Mk3, like the Mk1 and Mk2, has two coil packs. It may be worth expanding the coil packs entry on the post above to include igniters. There are two igniters, one for each bank of cylinders, and if one of these stops working this has the same effect as a coil pack going down i.e. the car runs only on four cylinders and it may also be difficult to start the car. The igniters are located on the driver’s side of the engine bay towards the back of the engine under a black cover. They are about two inches square and are easy to replace - two screws to remove and the wiring plug to pull out.

The passenger side igniter went on one of my cars, followed shortly afterwards by the passenger side coil pack, Both replaced now and all sorted.

Colin

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 8:51 AM, Colin M said:

Hello Malc

Thanks for this. I can confirm that the Mk3, like the Mk1 and Mk2, has two coil packs. It may be worth expanding the coil packs entry on the post above to include igniters. There are two igniters, one for each bank of cylinders, and if one of these stops working this has the same effect as a coil pack going down i.e. the car runs only on four cylinders and it may also be difficult to start the car.

Colin

Do you have an image of an igniter Colin? That passenger side Coil is a very difficult coil to remove. I didn't even attempt it when I thought about replacing them. 

• 1 month later...

Just had the front upper balljoint/wishbones replaced on my Mk 1, but had to get these from Kansas, USA, cos obsolete at Lexus UK and everyone else I tried first! They are known (apparently) for not lasting well. My Garage Man (who also has a venerable Mk 2) warned me of rear radius arm box sections which rust and break from inside, and were apparently a recall item in the dim and distant past! Well done for flagging all these potential disasters, Malc.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This has happened to me once, but worth a mention.

The idle pulley for the multirib accessory belt.

Mine seized and burnt the belt to the point it snapped. I did not feel a thing when it happened, only that the car felt a bit more responsive to drive.

Replaced with proper part (Fairly expensive, but right one has 2 bearings whereas after market ones only have one bearing). Cost me approx 60 pounds in Europe and new belt on top of that.

I took this opportunity to do the cam belt, water pump and all tensioners, full engine service and gearbox oil change.

• 3 months later...

I have had to exchange the cable coil in the steering wheel that handles airbag etc at 95 kmiles on my 1995. Bought OEM from Japan.  
Also expect to change some multirib belt wheels with bearing or bearings only with some work . relatively Inexpensive and easy fix.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update LS400 in France

Just had a text "Car all loaded, ready to set off. See you tomorrow Morning". 

Great news, as I've been worrying that it would not start after three weeks + 14 months prior. 

I left a power cable and charger in the Garage so the guy could give it a boost but hopefully he didn't have to use them.  Will know more tomorrow.  Expense coming up, Insurance cover and I guess if I can get it repaired and MOT'd during 14 days I can cancel the cover if I decide not to keep the LS and  stay with the GS. Don't want two cars but it had to be got away from France as property on the market..

Spotted this on F/b so may recover my costs if worst price scenario.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/443296277184950/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Aabd183c4-1352-44f8-9af0-5ce43273fc13

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

if worst price scenario.

come come . that one's All Gold ......  might melt down for gold scrap value :wink3:

Malc

The "Beast" arrived back after its 600 mile jounrey on a four wheel Trailer behind a 3.8l Range Rover which has over 230k on the clock and is run on LPG.  A miserable journey raining all the way and glad it was not me who had the task.  Too blustery to go out and remove a few things from the Boot and will have to drive as carefully as possible to my Mechanic on Thursday and he will replace the rear Strut.  He will also do the nearside possibly but I don't have a replacement Bush or Bolts  (expected pre Christmas) if he manages to remove the bolts and existing Bush without wrecking them.   Doubtful, so another job later.

• Like 3

Stuart very very best wishes with all this mullarkey ...  you've sure been thru' t'mill with this car and these events so I'm quite certain that you will readily see off all the nasty gremlins and issues facing her and get her back into fine fettle quite promptly :wink3:

Best wishes

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links