Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am thinking of doing a chrome delete on my car, has any of the forum members done this? If so, how did you tackle the black plastic trim that is around the windows, did you remove it? Aslo did you use vinyl wrap or plasti dip the trim? Thanks 

Previous owner of my car de chromed the front grill with a rubberised type paint. Doesn't look on very close inspection that the grill was taken off. Think the 2 strips either side of the front windscreen have been painted too but definitely taken off. Silly beggar knackered half the clips to put strips back on.

However be careful what you use on plastic pieces. Use a purpose for plastic paint and prepare surfaces well.

On 8/11/2020 at 9:39 PM, Matt1280 said:

I blacked out the front grill surround with gloss black vinyl, I've just bought more for round the Windows, but not got round to it yet

Will be interested to see if you leave the black plastic trim around the windows on, before you cover the trim in vinyl 

On 8/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Previous owner of my car de chromed the front grill with a rubberised type paint. Doesn't look on very close inspection that the grill was taken off. Think the 2 strips either side of the front windscreen have been painted too but definitely taken off. Silly beggar knackered half the clips to put strips back on.

However be careful what you use on plastic pieces. Use a purpose for plastic paint and prepare surfaces well.

I have seen a lot of chrome trim covered using plasti dip, the other choice is to do it in vinyl 

Yeah Bongo. Their are numerous ways to colour plastics. Personally I prefer painting. Its way cheaper too plus a sense of self chuffedness. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2020 at 7:41 PM, Bongo said:

Will be interested to see if you leave the black plastic trim around the windows on, before you cover the trim in vinyl 

Not sure what I’m doing about that plastic stuff, might try and leave and tuck the vinyl under the edges slightly 

On 8/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, Mr Vlad said:

I thought windows trims are black by default. And I kind of know the reason for re-using clips - they are bleeping £198 incl. VAT.... what a rip-off.

Overall, I would say use either vinyl or plasti-dip - because in case it get's old it could be removed easily. Either way you need to get trim squeaky clean before application and I would advise for things like trim pieces to apply ~7 layers of plasti-dip at very least. The thicker it is the easier it is to remove - the last thing you want is to apply it too thin, because it will be pain to remove.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links