Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

60k Service and Visual Health Check

holiday

Hi my car went for its 60k Service at the dealerships and they pointed out a few things which are in amber. This includes a break disks half worn but the pads are fine. The tyre needs to be changed as there are cuts in the sidewalls. The car has completed 29450 miles.

Should the breaks be half worn already?

Furthermore the cars extended warranty and service plan is coming to end. What are your thoughts of getting a new plan and extended warranty. The dealership has said it’s already been paid for as there was over £4K of repairs completed. I look forward to hear from you soon. 

Brakes: guess how it's been driven is a factor?

Extend the warranty: i would! If it has been used already it could... suggest there is more to be done?

• Like 3

5000 miles annually is low and discs only half worn.In my experience if a garage says half worn,they are probably only 40% worn, so no action needed.

Yes to service plan and yes to Extended Warranty.

Chang those tyres as 6 years is time to change.

• Like 2

Hi Fahad

yes to both re the plan and warrenty... i had lots done under mine with no quibbles and it more than paid for itself.. I did brakes pads and discs rear at 116k and the front recently at about 160K.. but i dont know if they were the originals but i think they were. , mine was a company car with 116k on it when purchased 3 years ago now.

hope that helps 😄 

On 8/12/2020 at 7:04 AM, holiday said:

This includes a break disks half worn but the pads are fine

Seems odd that the discs are worn without corresponding wear on the pads. I get pad measurements reported during servicing. So for example, if they say the front pads are on 9mm, and you assume a starting size of 12mm and wear limit of 3mm, that would be about one-third wear. I haven't seen corresponding measurements for the discs but presumably they're basing their report on actual measurements rather than a quick glance. You could ask them what the measurement is when new, what the worn measurement on your car is and the limit of wear when the disc should be replaced..

• Like 1

In general these days, in my experience, discs and pads wear pretty much together and so often it's a replacement of discs and pads together. On my IS300h I had the front discs/pads replaced at 80K miles for the first time. They probably had another 20K miles left in them but the pads and discs were getting a pronounced lip and when measured the discs were closing in on minimum thickness and as the garage were replaced the wheel bearings (under warranty) I chose to have discs and pads done at the same time (at my expense of course). The rears were still only somewhere around 50% worn. I bought my car at 2 years old with 40K miles on it (it was a 2014 build) and to my knowledge (as it was sold originally and serviced by the dealer I purchased from) the original mileage was mostly motorway miles, and over 50% of my additional 40K miles mileage has also been motorway. It's possible that the pads were replaced before you bought the car for some reason (should be on the service records if done at Lexus though) or the tick sheet wasn't completed correctly (which wouldn't be a surprise - I tend to take them with a pinch of salt) I would suggest that 50% worn at ~30k miles is nothing to worry about anyway and I would see how the wear goes over the next 30K miles. They will report each service so see what the next one says.

• Like 3

Definitely yes to the warranty and service plan.

I'd have new tyres. Brakes probably ok for a while.

My 2015 Auris hybrid with 29k went in to the dealer as AC had failed and did a health check as well.

When I viewed the car  I noticed NSF tyre had slight side wall damage and slight cracking. Would not change it and said perfectly sound.

Mentioned it on health check Wednesday but did say ok structurally. Mentioned rear or front disks in amber as 1cm pitting starting.

Plan to fit all new tyres before they MOT it in January as all original and so old. Current tread depth between 3.5-4mm.

James👍

• Like 1

Extending the warranty is very much up to the individual. However that would not pay for new discs as they are considered ware items. I had a Prius "same mechanicals as the CT", and I was also told the discs were half worn at 60,000 miles, and that the pads were ready to change at 3mm. Having looked at the discs, and pads before the service I new they were not worn to the extent described, and demanded the discs, and pads were measured in front of me. 
The pads had 8mm of material left "new is 11 mm" while the discs had 1/2 mm of ware "2 mm of ware is within specification" . The excuse given was the figures quoted on the service sheet were an estimate. Suffice to say that at 140,000 miles when I sold the car it was still on the same discs, and pads. Take the dealers claims with a large pinch of salt.

John.

• Like 3

The whole philosophy of these hybrid cars is aimed at not using the mechanical brakes.  So in an ideal world they would never wear out.

On a conventional vehicle, the car wastes energy when you brake, effectively throwing away the energy as heat. These hybrids aim instead to capture this energy and store it in the Battery rather than throwing it away. Running the generators captures the energy and at the same time slows down the car.

Of course, in the real world you need mechanical brakes for emergencies, for precise control at low speeds, and for the times when the generators are not powerful enough to slow you down as much as you need, like when coming off a motorway. But if the car is driven moderately, planning ahead for traffic light stops and so on, the experience of Britprius above (140,000 miles on original discs and pads) should be the norm.

• Like 3