Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No one ever said owning an aged limo would be cost free, so while I've still got some teeth left I'm biting another bullet.  Last November I replaced my air shocks with new Arnott ones but they've started to make annoying rattling sounds over small bumps (just like if drop links were duff). I'm in negotiations with Arnott over it, it turns out I'm not alone.  So I've ordered new spring shocks from Strutmaster, again in the US.  They have Eibach springs and either Bilstein or KYB dampers.  Maybe someone needs to be the guinea pig to see if they really are the solution, so let's see.  They should arrive next week, although their shipping doesn't compare to Rock!  Having done it once I'm hoping I can do each corner in an hour.  And in case you're wondering, the car is so good it's worth the outlay I think.

• Like 5

I think I’ve been very fortunate with my Celsior, it is fitted with conventional springs but the dampers/shock absorbers are TEMS so piezo electronically controlled to adjust the damping dependent on speed and other factors.

Given that the car is now 26 years old ( I bought it in 2006) the only suspension parts replaced are both front LBJs and the near side upper front control arm ( all OEM and the  latter caused by a pothole!) plus a rear spring broke so I replaced both.

OK the annual mileage is very low perhaps a couple of thousand (now around 90,000) which helps along with being garaged but at the end of the day it owes me nothing.

• Like 2

To be fair, I actually quite enjoy this kind of tinkering, it's almost like a hobby!  I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to this but it will be my last big expense on it.  I'm very interested to know how it will feel afterwards.  £1,200 including shipping and taxes.

• Sad 1

I read your posts Phil and I thank my lucky stars that I discovered the Lexus brand 25 years ago. I have owned 2 400s and the spend  on keeping them on the road over the years as been minimal ,I concur with Mark in the reflection that original parts for a Lexus are as near as you will get to perfection because that was the their watchword.

When they set up the research and development department millions of dollars and years of experiments by suppliers and would be parts manufacturers were spent and aftermarket products are to some extent a deviation from the original specification put out by Lexus.

It may be that the part being produced is better in some respects with new materials being tried but to my mind if all of the parts that came together in the original design worked then to try and improve on that is likely to bring up anomalies in the performance of the product.

I have for some time been considering buying a later model (2001 Celsior)  which I understand is still on sale in the London area but I held back initially due to the lockdown then the travel distance and now seeing air suspension problems I’m back to spending money getting my present car more presentable.

The roof looks like it’s been attacked by cats, the lacquer started to craze in the middle but over the years it has spread across the roof almost front to back and side to side. My local and trusted paint shop said it has been caused by a quick flash over job probably when the car was still in Japan or first in the UK.

My carelessness also means alloy wheels need refurbishing. The total cost is £720.00 but I feel it is worth it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I have for some time been considering buying a later model (2001 Celsior)  which I understand is still on sale in the London area but I held back initially due to the lockdown then the travel distance and now seeing air suspension problems I’m back to spending money getting my present car more presentable.

The roof looks like it’s been attacked by cats, the lacquer started to craze in the middle but over the years it has spread across the roof almost front to back and side to side. My local and trusted paint shop said it has been caused by a quick flash over job probably when the car was still in Japan or first in the UK.

My carelessness also means alloy wheels need refurbishing. The total cost is £720.00 but I feel it is worth it.

That's my thinking, mine is worth it.  The majority of LS430's sold in the US had conventional springs and people seem very happy with them.  One thing I would never entertain is cheap coilovers, there are some on eBay for £200 the set!  That's often the type people fit and find the result to be hopeless.

31 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Are you returning the Arnott air struts Phil? 

I'm not sure at this stage, Arnott have requested my original invoice from Rockauto.  If its going to be a hassle I won't bother, but I will if they offer some kind of refund.  They are under warranty but they may just replace them which I don't want, on the other hand I could easily sell a new set!  I'm waiting to hear back from Arnott but if that doesn't result in anything I'll send them back to Rock, but only on the promise of a refund because it'll cost £200 to ship them.

• Like 1

Just now, steve2006 said:

If you pre paid the VAT with RA you should also be able to claim that back either directly through them of HMRC.

Interesting, I didn't think of that.  The new ones are on their way, should be here on Friday.

18 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Interesting, I didn't think of that.  The new ones are on their way, should be here on Friday.

Don’t forget also you paid VAT on the total amount including the shipping cost too not just the parts price.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

Hi Phil, really sorry to hear of your misfortune, and I hope you get it sorted, in ‘The Pursuit of Perfection’, and get some sort of refund, Good luck, Roger

Thanks Roger.  In all honesty I'm not too concerned.  I think the main issue with returning them is they're unlikely to find a fault unless they fit them on a car, which they won't do, so they could easily say nothing is wrong.  I've been given the opportunity to send them to Holland for inspection but I feel it'll be the same result.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links