Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CT 200h Buying Advice

Dan.Scott

Hi All,

I currently have a BMW 530e as a company car that's due to go back in later this year.  I've all but decided that I'm going to opt out of the company car scheme and instead run my own car.

I've liked the look of the CT 200h for a few years and looked at one before I got my last company car (Outlander PHEV), but discounted the CT as I found it a bit lacking in performance - jumping in a hybrid from a turbo-diesel 3 series at the time was of course a bit odd.

This time around my criteria is very different, I'd rather opt comfort and reliability, I like the creature comforts in my 530e - great climate control and heated seats especially.  However with the UK economy in the state it's in and now I've all but decided to buy my own car, I'd rather go for something a. lower in cost but retaining creature comforts and b. with greater reliability - hence I keep coming back to the CT.  My daily commute is approx 35 miles each way - 10 miles of B road and 25 of motorway, so economy is important to me also - an IS250 would drive well I'm sure, but I'd be best friends with the local BP garage team.

I've searched high and low, had a video of one CT sent to me by a Lexus dealer and driven one used example that wasn't quite right ('d hoped the cream leather was more white that it turned out to be).  I have however found online a 2016, CT 200h Luxury with premium nav (it's got the mouse controller and second screen next to the speedometer), with 75k on the clock, 1 owner (leased), with full Lexus service history.  The asking price is £12k... (not from a Lexus main dealer unfortunately).  What do people think of that price vs the spec and mileage? 

I've looked at the CT 200h Premium models, but they command a large, well, premium for the not huge increase in spec over the Luxury - the Levinson stereo would be very nice to have, but for the money I'd be looking at a pre-2014 facelift CT to get a Premium model, and the owners reports seem to suggest that the 2014 ride and handling upgrade was a significant one.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 2014 CT Luxury and it has the premium nav that comes with upgraded stereo which IMO is really really good. I would definitely recommend the Premium nav as I find the second screen very useful in terms of monitoring the instantaneous mpg bar and it gives a more modern looking instrument cluster to me. Bought used at 44k miles from Lexus dealer and added around 50k of faultless miles. I do similar miles each day pre-COVID19 in Oxfordshire and averages about 58 mpg (69 mpg best). I also like the relatively sporty handling but the ride on A and B roads may be quick harsh for some people but it is still more comfortable than my new 69 reg F56 Mini Cooper.   

With the Lexus essential care service (discounted service price), the CT is a reasonably cheap and utterly reliable luxury compact car. I have just renewed my extended warranty for the second time. I was looking to sell and upgrade to an NX or RX about a month ago due to the addition of a new family member but let's see...

• Like 1

I have a 2011 SE L Premier with every option incl ML sound system.
Awesome car and so comfortable. I don’t need boot space which is lacking on these. It’s on 106K now and is faultless. MPG in my opinion is much better on the pre facelift compared to the later ones. I did have a couple of CT,s as courtesy cars whilst mine was being serviced (later models) and found the ride no different to mine. Yes it’s a bit harsh on 17” wheels but certainly better than other manufacturers that I’ve driven.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a 2011 SE L Premier with every option incl ML sound system.
Awesome car and so comfortable. I don’t need boot space which is lacking on these. It’s on 106K now and is faultless. MPG in my opinion is much better on the pre facelift compared to the later ones. I did have a couple of CT,s as courtesy cars whilst mine was being serviced (later models) and found the ride no different to mine. Yes it’s a bit harsh on 17” wheels but certainly better than other manufacturers that I’ve driven.

Thank you for the replies. Looking at the pre-facelift models, there's a significant price saving and some still have really low mileage. Stormchaser, from your experience with both pre and post facelift, did the ride quality improve significantly post the facelift?  Reviews say it was great softened, but then that could also be what was written in the press pack for the new model 😉

I didn’t find the ride much different to mine to be honest. They both had 17” wheels too. I know the gearbox was slightly better as there wasn’t so much high engine revving during quicker acceleration.

I bought my missus a 2012 premier model a few months back; which had done just over 102k when we picked it up. Full Lexus service history apart from the last one which was done by some independent; I ordered a complete service kit from lexuspartsdirect (plugs,oil,filters,coolant etc..) for a bit over £100 just to have complete piece of mind. Thing runs faultless; don’t discredit the older models. It’s the same engine throughout the model years 🙂

Thanks Trunkz that's great to know.  I spend an inordinate amount of time yesterday going through what felt like every used car ad in the UK ;-).

On one had there's something like this - facelift, leather, premium nav are all on my want list, however the mileage is quite high (78k) and once the car goes over 100k it'll take a big hit in depreciation.

Also this from Lexus Derby which again is luxury trim with premium nav, albeit older than the example above and with higher mileage again (88k)

On the other hand there a are a number of pre-facelift SE-L Premier's available, some with lower mileage than the above and under or around £10k

Annoyingly everything I shortlist is miles away from me, so just popping over to have a look is a challenge....

Facelift with higher miles and lower, but still good spec, or older with all the toys.... no idea!

I would probably go for something as new as possible with the least miles.

Whether that was with less spec then, so be it. I would  buy through Lexus to get minimum 12 months warranty.

In January I was looking for a newer car.

I chose a 2 year older car as it had done 15,000 miles less and 2k cheaper. Could of had a 2017 Toyota Auris hybrid estate with 42,000 miles but chose a 2015 one with 26,800miles instead. Later car had the Toyota Safety Sense and was the facelift car. 15k miles is around 18-24 months motoring for me.

I have no regrets as also bought the car as I liked the colour. Island Blue!

I felt happier buying through an official main dealer.

Also at the moment a pre April 2017 model is free road tax. Would presume CT is, as same engine/hybrid system as Auris hybrid.

James.👍 

Cheers James, one of the older SE-L Premier's I've shortlisted is from a dealer (not Lexus, but the group has a Lexus dealer in it), the car itself has a FSH all from Lexus main dealers.  The facelift car I think would be my preference to have the newer sat-nav (although reviews here are still critical of the 2014- premium nav, so it may not really matter and I end up using my phone more anyway).

Lexus main dealer would be preferable, it's just finding the right example....  that said the SE-L Premier I've seen is very tempting as the service history is good... too many choices I think!

• Thanks 1

Mileage isn’t really a big factor with these. Go based on your budget and the condition. A pre facelift is getting in a bit now but then it might still be in better condition than a facelift that has lived by the sea - there are a few examples on here of unexpected rust and the heat shield rotting at the bolt holes is a common fault (although easily replaced). 

good point Colin and yes I imagine any car that's had too much salty air will have dreaded rust issues.  Also a very good point about the pre-facelifts getting on a bit.  The 2016 Luxury with 75k could well be a more sensible option, essentially £2k extra for a 4 year younger, face lifted car.

Can anyone tell I'm going round in circles!!! also doesn't help that all are a fair trek away from me so makes test drives quite the commitment..

4 minutes ago, JamesIS220 said:

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/CT/200h-Advance-Lexus-Navigation-ULEZ-Approved-r1cc56q

This one is low mileage but 2014 reg. Lower spec. No mention of reversing camera!

James👍

No leather sadly - I can't wrap my head around a Lexus with velour seats... (sorry, vain I know)

3 minutes ago, Dan.Scott said:

No leather sadly - I can't wrap my head around a Lexus with velour seats... (sorry, vain I know)

No probs. Were all different.

My 1989 240 had black leather.

1996 Volvo 940 part leather.

Auris cloth.

Leather is best as easier to keep clean, especially with higher mileage. Think of all the toddlers who have peed on your back seats over the years!:laugh:

James👍

The modern (dare I say fake) leather I think is brilliant when done well - easy to clean and doesn't crease and crack like you see on some older CT's (drivers seat bolster...).  I had to buy some special leather cleaner for my 530e when it was new owing to almost white leather and a new pair of jeans.... I can thoroughly recommend Dr Leather spray though - got my seats back to new condition again and me breathing a sigh of relief!!!

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links