Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SC 430 power steering rack.

david foster

My recently aquired [private sale] 2005 facelift has two fairly major issues:

1. power steering rack has oil/fluid on boot cover so suspect end-seal leak, seals not separately available so looking for a replacement rack. Part no.44200-24190

Does anyone know of any model which shares this part no. or any replacement other than the ones on e-BAY.

2. Excessive judder on braking at speed of 40mph plus.  All suspension secure without excess play new pads and discs when bought.  judder is inconsistent in that sometimes seems from rear i.e. through whole car and then from front i.e through steering.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I see Rockauto has a rebuilt rack for less than £200, although that would include Vat and shipping, plus the old one would need returning to them, it may still be worth checking though.

• Like 1

If it's judder when braking, I would check the brake sliders, calipers and pistons first. If there is some play in the rack you should be able to feel it with the car stood still.

When the reluctor rings go you usually can tell from braking at very slow speeds, as the abs 'clicks' rapidly as you press the pedal.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2020 at 5:52 AM, david foster said:

My recently aquired [private sale] 2005 facelift has two fairly major issues:

1. power steering rack has oil/fluid on boot cover so suspect end-seal leak, seals not separately available so looking for a replacement rack. Part no.44200-24190

Does anyone know of any model which shares this part no. or any replacement other than the ones on e-BAY.

2. Excessive judder on braking at speed of 40mph plus.  All suspension secure without excess play new pads and discs when bought.  judder is inconsistent in that sometimes seems from rear i.e. through whole car and then from front i.e through steering.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Couple of thoughts with your motoring problems , the GS300 of a similar age could share the same steering rack, worth looking into for used rack.

with brake judder..rule of thumb from my car mechanic days....on braking ...judder through the peddle only rear brakes, judder through the steering front brakes. You could of had a pattern set of front brakes that have gone bad already or as suggested, Caliper slider has semi seized and caused one of the front brakes to over heat and distort.