Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus approved used car prep standards?

Being a first time Lexus owner since I've had like 6 Hondas previously. Bought my IS300H at Jemca Croydon. The handover was a bit anti-climatic - The glitzy handover bay was empty but my car was outside on the forecourt - whatever!  A few months passed and I was hoovering the car out when I noticed that one of the rear car mats was odd. Later to be discovered that it was from another model 🥺- So I bit the bullet a bought a new set from Lexus Parts Direct.

Subsequently, Jemca Reading performed 2 services so far, First time was the "biggy"  and being an LOC Gold Member, the discount was refused as I was fed a story that the discount applies for any ADDITIONAL work only. So I paid the full 700 odd. A few months down the line as my key has a carbon fibre "clamshell" protector with a Lexus badge on it, I noticed that the badge was missing and used my phone camera to zoom into the empty recess where the badge once was. It was obvious that someone used a pick tool to prize out the little badge! I know for a fact I didn't lose it as I normally use my card key and the supplied keys are kept in a drawer. The only time it was out was during service. Again whatever!..

2nd time round it was an intermediate service and they did acknowledge the discount but my membership expired lol. Third time round which was in June this year, they wanted to charge me £12 for sanitising my car. As the service was a quoted £500 I asked if this could be thrown in. They refused. I also refused to book the service in.

The Lexus service network normally  I could count how many dealers around me with one hand. However they have now started to transform Toyota garages to be Lexus approved. So to my surprise I found "Lexus" Hayes which is literally 7 miles down the road compared to Reading which was 30. Service was "ok" they are still trying to get to grips with the Lexus service system as I was told its slightly different to the Toyota (Not diagnostic) system for updating service records etc but overall its generally a good service from them. The premises is service/maintenance only so its not glamourous what a Lexus dealer normally is but at the end of the day I went in to get the car sorted. They also applied a 12.5% discount also without even seeing my newly renewed LOC Card 😬

Some people rave how great Jemca Reading is, but my personal journey as a customer, I wasn't impressed. Receptionist didn't acknowledge me when I walked in on both occasions The second service was a Saturday and she was on her phone smiling while I was still "floating' around for 10 minutes trying to get my car in 🥺🥺, coffee machine was broken on BOTH occasions.

• Sad 2

I had similar issues with a used Lexus from a dealer in the same group as the OP. I went straight to Lexus directly. Next day the dealer was on the phone and we agreed how to rectify the issues. In summary, in my eyes Lexus enhanced or at least maintained their reputation, and I won't go near the dealership group again.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SCB said:

I had similar issues with a used Lexus from a dealer in the same group as the OP. I went straight to Lexus directly. Next day the dealer was on the phone and we agreed how to rectify the issues. In summary, in my eyes Lexus enhanced or at least maintained their reputation, and I won't go near the dealership group again.

What contact details did you use for lexus out of interest, I emailed them and they just send out a canned reply and no help whatsoever 

3 hours ago, Andrew888 said:

Being a first time Lexus owner since I've had like 6 Hondas previously. Bought my IS300H at Jemca Croydon. The handover was a bit anti-climatic - The glitzy handover bay was empty but my car was outside on the forecourt - whatever!  A few months passed and I was hoovering the car out when I noticed that one of the rear car mats was odd. Later to be discovered that it was from another model 🥺- So I bit the bullet a bought a new set from Lexus Parts Direct.

Subsequently, Jemca Reading performed 2 services so far, First time was the "biggy"  and being an LOC Gold Member, the discount was refused as I was fed a story that the discount applies for any ADDITIONAL work only. So I paid the full 700 odd. A few months down the line as my key has a carbon fibre "clamshell" protector with a Lexus badge on it, I noticed that the badge was missing and used my phone camera to zoom into the empty recess where the badge once was. It was obvious that someone used a pick tool to prize out the little badge! I know for a fact I didn't lose it as I normally use my card key and the supplied keys are kept in a drawer. The only time it was out was during service. Again whatever!..

2nd time round it was an intermediate service and they did acknowledge the discount but my membership expired lol. Third time round which was in June this year, they wanted to charge me £12 for sanitising my car. As the service was a quoted £500 I asked if this could be thrown in. They refused. I also refused to book the service in.

The Lexus service network normally  I could count how many dealers around me with one hand. However they have now started to transform Toyota garages to be Lexus approved. So to my surprise I found "Lexus" Hayes which is literally 7 miles down the road compared to Reading which was 30. Service was "ok" they are still trying to get to grips with the Lexus service system as I was told its slightly different to the Toyota (Not diagnostic) system for updating service records etc but overall its generally a good service from them. The premises is service/maintenance only so its not glamourous what a Lexus dealer normally is but at the end of the day I went in to get the car sorted. They also applied a 12.5% discount also without even seeing my newly renewed LOC Card 😬

Some people rave how great Jemca Reading is, but my personal journey as a customer, I wasn't impressed. Receptionist didn't acknowledge me when I walked in on both occasions The second service was a Saturday and she was on her phone smiling while I was still "floating' around for 10 minutes trying to get my car in 🥺🥺, coffee machine was broken on BOTH occasions.

Thanks for posting Andrew. One can only speak as one finds and sadly yours is one of an increasing number of Lexus Dealerships which are falling short of the bar. This will inevitably lead to customer dissatisfaction levels being reflected within published statistics.

The best thing one can do is complain in writing, first to the person who handed you the Bill,then also in writing to the Dealer Principal, then if necessary to Lexus UK Customer Services with a copy to the Dealer Principal. Upon conclusion do tell us.

There is an increasing number of Dealerships being acquired by large Motor Groups such as Jemca, Motorline, Inchcape, Vantage, RRG Steven Eagell and Listers and some of them also deal in other so called premium vehicles. There are few if any outstanding Dealerships amongst this lot, but fortunately there is still a number of small Dealerships, a number of which are Snows at Hedge End and Exeter, Montys at Sheffield,Hendy at Poole and so on. Hopefully these. approx 12 others and accredited Indies will blossom for the future. 

I bought my is300h f sport in 2016 from Lexus Hedge End As a retirement present to me and have had nothing but excellent service from them when I have had my car serviced, annually. I had various company cars from BMW, Mercedes and VW all maintained at the local dealers but none were a patch on the attentiveness and politeness of Hedge End. I can only comment on my own experiences and, from my viewpoint, this particular dealer is what I would expect from a Lexus dealer.

P.S. They didn’t pay me to say the above.

• Like 3

Pity I live such a long way from Hedge End. As John said above about Sheffield, I'd heard the same. Stockport has been reported as good on here but personally I'd say they were just okay. As per matt8 above, who are the really excellent ones? We should compile a list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffL said:

Pity I live such a long way from Hedge End. As John said above about Sheffield, I'd heard the same. Stockport has been reported as good on here but personally I'd say they were just okay. As per matt8 above, who are the really excellent ones? We should compile a list.

I have a list Jeff of those garages/Indies that have been reported as satisfying the particular customer.Lexus Indie Garages (1).docx

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, matt8 said:

Its worth traveling for a good dealer.

So we have a few who we know to avoid, but who are the ones we all rate?

Anybody had any dealing with Elite Venture - they seem to stock mainly Lexus and Toyota

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I have a list Jeff of those garages/Indies that have been reported as satisfying the particular customer.Lexus Indie Garages (1).docx

Thanks John. Would be good to have a list of recommended official  Lexus dealers with a view to buying a used or new Lexus. I think I'll start a new topic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks for posting Andrew. One can only speak as one finds and sadly yours is one of an increasing number of Lexus Dealerships which are falling short of the bar. This will inevitably lead to customer dissatisfaction levels being reflected within published statistics.

The best thing one can do is complain in writing, first to the person who handed you the Bill,then also in writing to the Dealer Principal, then if necessary to Lexus UK Customer Services with a copy to the Dealer Principal. Upon conclusion do tell us.

There is an increasing number of Dealerships being acquired by large Motor Groups such as Jemca, Motorline, Inchcape, Vantage, RRG Steven Eagell and Listers and some of them also deal in other so called premium vehicles. There are few if any outstanding Dealerships amongst this lot, but fortunately there is still a number of small Dealerships, a number of which are Snows at Hedge End and Exeter, Montys at Sheffield,Hendy at Poole and so on. Hopefully these. approx 12 others and accredited Indies will blossom for the future. 

Well I only complained about the sanitising surcharge as that for some reason really grinded my gears. I liaised with Lexus UK and they have no jurisdiction with what their dealer network is doing with this. They had a quiet word with the service manager and he actually called me.. Not to waiver the tenner but to antagonise me more how Jemca has invested in COVID safe measures and the cost needs to be passed on to customers. I challenged that fact that Jemca Hendon doesn't charge and there was a stunned silence.. I duly cancelled the service booking and he said fine.. I wasn't expecting a buttkiss but it sounded like that branch is hitting their KPI targets so wasn't bothered.. 🙄 Customer service satisfaction is definately not one them though.. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lockhart leitch said:

No matter what car your buying when you go and view it point out what you want fixed and do the haggling then,do not pay full price until you have checked it over on pick up day.Not all dealers are the same irrispective of the make you are buying.

And keep a written record of what has been agreed!

• Like 3

I agree with the prep standard from Lexus Cheltenham. Its utterly ******* to be honest. 

With my RX they basically delivered a car with paint missing from the rear 3/4 bumper and a chunk taken out of the front bumper. I rectified it all at my expense as they werent willing to pick up the car and have it done. They wanted me to drop it off down to Lincoln which is 1.5 hours away from me (the closest Lister Lexus)

I would say Lexus Bradford and Lexus Stockport have never let me down in terms of the standard of their vehicles

Oh and Lexus Chester too. The vehicle I bought from them was absolutely immaculate despite being 2 years old.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rayaans said:

I agree with the prep standard from Lexus Cheltenham. Its utterly ******* to be honest. 

With my RX they basically delivered a car with paint missing from the rear 3/4 bumper and a chunk taken out of the front bumper. I rectified it all at my expense as they werent willing to pick up the car and have it done. They wanted me to drop it off down to Lincoln which is 1.5 hours away from me (the closest Lister Lexus)

I would say Lexus Bradford and Lexus Stockport have never let me down in terms of the standard of their vehicles

Oh and Lexus Chester too. The vehicle I bought from them was absolutely immaculate despite being 2 years old.

Listers 0 RRG Group 1.

We should keep a score and sort out the Wheat from the Chaff !

• Like 2

lexus stoke has given me the best hand over going into a side room

having some drinks and then going into the handover room for the car,

the car was actually under a cover and the car was immaculate.

dxc3 a.jpg

dxc3 b.jpg

• Like 2

Lexus Stoke is owned by Pinkstones Motor Group a family owned business.

They have franchises for Lexus, Toyota and MG.

They seem to be worth dealing with for their level of customer service.

A far better bet than large franchises, such as Motorline,Jemca,Inchcape, etc ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with any Organisation, motor or otherwise.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Listers 0 RRG Group 1.

We should keep a score and sort out the Wheat from the Chaff !

Tick: Bradford 1. Sheffield 1. Stoke 1. Stockport 1. 

Zero: Listers