Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

First, thanks for all the helpful advice from the forum - it's much appreciated!

So it's been a mission to find a GS (originally an RX) as the cars are never close and asking prices from dealers seem high given the book values. That said, I've found a 2012 with 90k miles but it's a private party sale so little/no recourse

Just looking for things to look for during the test drive. What I've learned so far - full Lexus service history, tyres ok not great, some marks on interior and a respray of the rear bumper

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I think it's officially "sealed for life". However they don't really care if the car makes it past 100k miles or not. Ideally it would have been done around 50k but I think most owners probably don't bother. I bought my RX with 77k on the clock and it had never been done, it was the very first thing I did.

According to the Lexus Maintenance schedule, for the GS 450h GWS 191,  the transmission fluid, for normal conditions, must be changed at 54000 miles or 72 months whichever comes first. For severe conditions, it must be changed every 36 months.

It is of critical importance to change the transmission fluid strictly in accordance with the maintenance schedule because its purpose is to lubricate and cool the moving parts but at the same it must insulate the windings of the motors within it. As the fluid quality deteriorates with time and use, a high voltage flashover within the motors and the transmission case cannot be excluded rendering the transmission useless. Mechanics in general simply cannot see, understand or appreciate the electrical side of these transmissions and the consequences thereto.

Chris.

15 minutes ago, Mihanicos said:

According to the Lexus Maintenance schedule, for the GS 450h GWS 191,  the transmission fluid, for normal conditions, must be changed at 54000 miles or 72 months whichever comes first. For severe conditions, it must be changed every 36 months.

It is of critical importance to change the transmission fluid strictly in accordance with the maintenance schedule because its purpose is to lubricate and cool the moving parts but at the same it must insulate the windings of the motors within it. As the fluid quality deteriorates with time and use, a high voltage flashover within the motors and the transmission case cannot be excluded rendering the transmission useless. Mechanics in general simply cannot see, understand or appreciate the electrical side of these transmissions and the consequences thereto.

Chris.

Thanks Chris, I don't enjoy the danger element of used car purchases (lol)

18 hours ago, Werewolf1976 said:

Hi all

First, thanks for all the helpful advice from the forum - it's much appreciated!

So it's been a mission to find a GS (originally an RX) as the cars are never close and asking prices from dealers seem high given the book values. That said, I've found a 2012 with 90k miles but it's a private party sale so little/no recourse

Just looking for things to look for during the test drive. What I've learned so far - full Lexus service history, tyres ok not great, some marks on interior and a respray of the rear bumper

Cheers

John

Transmission fluid as mentioned. Lexus wont do it by themselves. Owner must ask for it. During harder acceleration pay attention what is happening around 50-60mph. There will be a gear change it should be quick (1s) and smooth. You will notice torque will stop for a second and revs will stop to grow for that moment. 

Confirm spark plugs were done.

Be prepared for 100k double coolant change.

Check brakes conditions - at 90k original set might be ending soon. Expect to spend around 1k for whole set front+rear for Premier/F-Sport.

Check last hybrid health check certificate.

Try to look at shock absorbers, ideally under boot covers. At 90K they should be dry but if driven on poor roads all the time they might start to getting wet.

As always check MOT history

Ideally ask for a cold start. For few seconds engine might sound a bit loud but should get quiet in few seconds.

90k is not a lot for this car so if well looked after it will last way more. My previous GS has done 172k without any issues, and I'm sure it will do much more.

On 8/19/2020 at 1:29 PM, Werewolf1976 said:

Hi all

Cheers

John

I’d recommend a Lexus extended warranty 👍🏻

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links