Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus or Independent?

Hi everyone,

In October my car will have done close to 100000 miles and it will have been a year since it's last service. I have owned it for around 6 weeks now.

It has had it's first four or so services at Lexus and it's last four or so services at Halfords.

Should I have it serviced at Lexus or should I go for an independent?

If independent who would be good to go to in or around the Huddersfield area?

Many thanks in advance 👍

11 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Whats the situation with the hybrid health check ?

If no issues try Oliver at

http://tandrmotors.co.uk/

It hasn't had a hybrid health check for around 4 years so my Battery warranty wil be gone. 

Is it worth the extra cost for the health check? 

Hybrid yearly Lexus health check should be done to get a guaranteed 15 year life from it.

About £60ish. Another 8 years at £60 is cheaper than one new Battery.

I used a main dealer for my 100k service and feel they did not try to rip me off.

• Like 3

Ask your local Lexus dealer for the price of an Essentials service - this is for cars over 5 years old and so cheaper than the "full" servicing but seems to cover pretty much the same. Essentials service also includes the hybrid Health Check (~£60 if done separately). When that is added in the prices for Essentials services are not too much more than a good Indy. The 100k mile service is a bigger one however as I believe engine coolant and hybrid inverter coolant should be changed.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've just paid £280.00 for a 60,000 mile service even though the car has only covered 26,000. This was the only option for the age of the car which is now 7 years.

Frankly, I was disappointed. Their video clip of the "Health Check" as they call it showed tyre tread depth, brake pad thickness without the wheel coming off, exhaust check and shock absorber visual check. 

So, no check on the notorious sticking brake caliper sliders, good job I've already done that, no new air filter or wiper blades even though one doesn't touch the screen over its entire length. In future I'm going independent. Frankly I expected more than oil and filter, washer fluid (which was already quite full) and a quick look underneath. They didn't even lubricate any of the hinges! 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

I've just paid £280.00 for a 60,000 mile service even though the car has only covered 26,000. This was the only option for the age of the car which is now 7 years.

Frankly, I was disappointed. Their video clip of the "Health Check" as they call it showed tyre tread depth, brake pad thickness without the wheel coming off, exhaust check and shock absorber visual check. 

So, no check on the notorious sticking brake caliper sliders, good job I've already done that, no new air filter or wiper blades even though one doesn't touch the screen over its entire length. In future I'm going independent. Frankly I expected more than oil and filter, washer fluid (which was already quite full) and a quick look underneath. They didn't even lubricate any of the hinges! 

If you find a good one Paul,let us all know please.

25 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

If you find a good one Paul,let us all know please.

John, to be honest, anybody who's honest and can service the big Toyotas should be able to do the engine and running gear essentials on a Lexus, after all, I found the brake caliper sliders to be exactly the same as my Honda. The hybrid health check would still need to go to a main dealer, but with more manufacturers producing hybrid vehicles, the equipment will become more common and I'll bet most of it is Toyota based anyway. That begs a question, if the health check flagged a problem necessitating a warranty repair, they wouldn't guarantee the batteries for 15 years anyway. They know they're unlikely to fail. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

John, to be honest, anybody who's honest and can service the big Toyotas should be able to do the engine and running gear essentials on a Lexus, after all, I found the brake caliper sliders to be exactly the same as my Honda. The hybrid health check would still need to go to a main dealer, but with more manufacturers producing hybrid vehicles, the equipment will become more common and I'll bet most of it is Toyota based anyway. That begs a question, if the health check flagged a problem necessitating a warranty repair, they wouldn't guarantee the batteries for 15 years anyway. They know they're unlikely to fail. 

Not an expert you understand at all, but is not the benefit of the health check to flag up things that could cause failure in the future. I am thinking things like temperature controls and any cooling fluids etc. I doubt there would be warranty repairs required, but gives peace of mind up to 15 years I guess.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

Not an expert you understand at all, but is not the benefit of the health check to flag up things that could cause failure in the future. I am thinking things like temperature controls and any cooling fluids etc. I doubt there would be warranty repairs required, but gives peace of mind up to 15 years I guess.

Quite right Roger. I was simply pointing out a developing culture of hybrid technology where the testing equipment will become more common and maybe cheaper. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

That begs a question, if the health check flagged a problem necessitating a warranty repair, they wouldn't guarantee the batteries for 15 years anyway. They know they're unlikely to fail. 

They are unlikely to fail - the 5 years initial warranty on the hybrid system (rather than 3) plus extended up to 15 years was/is a way to neutralise any nervousness potential buyers had in buying their first hybrid and thinking an expensive replacement Battery pack might be required during their ownership. That said if there are problems with the pack then they will honour the warranty and replace it.

I cannot see any independent willing to replace a £3k Battery pack for conducting a £50 check however small the chances.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2020 at 10:34 PM, Mossypossy said:

Hybrid yearly Lexus health check should be done to get a guaranteed 15 year life from it.

About £60ish. Another 8 years at £60 is cheaper than one new battery.

I used a main dealer for my 100k service and feel they did not try to rip me off.

I thought the Battery was guaranteed for 10 years ? Not heard of 15 years 

using the lexus essential care servicing i would stay with lexus

£185 & £375 and dont forget this includes the hybrid health check

, wash & vacuum and a better looking stamp in your service book

i know i would rather see the lexus stamp over the Halfords stamp

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 200h said:

i know i would rather see the lexus stamp over the halfords stamp

Whilst I certainly agree with you here, I personally would rather see a trusted independent stamp over a Lexus stamp. But then I tend to buy much older cars than yours.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

Whilst I certainly agree with you here, I personally would rather see a trusted independent stamp over a Lexus stamp. But then I tend to buy much older cars than yours.

Mark, Trusted Independents are few and far between.

If you discover one, then please tell us all.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Lexus Indie Garages (1).docx already on the list Mark;thanks

Something seems to have gone wrong with this link as I just see an older version of the list. The one I can download has 11 entries. With Toyotec added it should take it to 12 entries.

Here's a link to their website. http://www.toyotec.co.uk

10 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

Something seems to have gone wrong with this link as I just see an older version of the list. The one I can download has 11 entries. With Toyotec added it should take it to 12 entries.

Here's a link to their website. http://www.toyotec.co.uk!

William.....you are a star!

I confused Toyotatec for Toyotec, also in Surrey.

I will make it No 12

• Like 1

I think the two important things a garage needs to be are 1) Honest and 2) Technically competent. In my opinion Russell is definitely both. On several occasions I have enquired about having work done and he's told me things aren't necessary when it would have been very easy to just take the work. I had an MOT done elsewhere with a long list of advisories and after having looked under the car he advised that several of them weren't actually necessary at all. Once while doing some servicing he diagnosed a very annoying rattle from the engine bay for me, at no charge, which I was subsequently able to fix myself. The only reason I don't use them for everything is due to the distance from me but for anything I care about that's where I go.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, someone tried to steal my Is 250 2010 when I went shopping at Asda, he made a big hole under the passenger's exterior door handle. Lexus is quoting £412 for just the door handle and fitting which is ridiculous. Where else can I order it please? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Vivian said:

Hi everyone, someone tried to steal my Is 250 2010 when I went shopping at Asda, he made a big hole under the passenger's exterior door handle. Lexus is quoting £412 for just the door handle and fitting which is ridiculous. Where else can I order it please? Thanks. 

Probably better starting your own thread?

Do the handles come painted, Does the £412 include colour matching? 

Guess you could try a breakers

Personally I don't think the price is extortionate ..