Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at buying an ISF

Hello all, new here!

So I've recently sold one of my motorbikes as having 2 small kids means I rarely get out for any fun solo rides anymore. Need something with 4 seats and needs to be a fun steer. We already an XC90 as our family car so this second car only needs to be semi practical and most importantly, not boring! 

Recently been looking at ISF's and looks like it will fit the bill quite nicely. Reading around, there seems to be 2 issues which are slightly worrying me :

1) the valley plate issue - from what I can tell, it's not even that easy to inspect, so in this regard, unless there is invoice for work being done I guess it is luck of the draw. How common is this problem, and is it inevitable that if a repair hasn't been carried out that it will eventually need doing?

2) Current topic at the top of this forum at the time of writing, is the radiator issue which seems to be failing and in some cases taking the gearbox out with it. I guess kind of hard to nail down how common this is and I'm guessing a lot of cars won't have had this work completed. I'm not too bad with a set of spanners and could probably manage this on my own after seeing a youtube vid on it.

I am also slightly concerned about the ride (well not me, but wife will moan if it is too crashy) - Not been out in one yet, and I know this is a very subjective experience.Wondered if anyone was local in the Hertfordshire area (I'm in Welwyn) and would mind taking me for a spin?

Cheers

Mike

IS-F is a great car.

I remember discussing the long term outlook of the IS-F with six other owners. This was.... four years ago I guess.

The conclusion I came to was that sooner or later the ultra reliable car will start to have failing components. Inevitable. Unlike Audi / BMW / Mercedes, there’s simply not the wealth of after market replacement parts. This will make the ISF more expensive to fix. Try costing a new steering rack (common failure) or a radiator and you’ll be looking at big bucks.

I think with recent reported issues, I’d go for a younger RC-F.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flytvr said:

IS-F is a great car.

I remember discussing the long term outlook of the IS-F with six other owners. This was.... four years ago I guess.

The conclusion I came to was that sooner or later the ultra reliable car will start to have failing components. Inevitable. Unlike Audi / BMW / Mercedes, there’s simply not the wealth of after market replacement parts. This will make the ISF more expensive to fix. Try costing a new steering rack (common failure) or a radiator and you’ll be looking at big bucks.

I think with recent reported issues, I’d go for a younger RC-F.

Very gd point. 

But he has two kids, it would pain me to either putting them in at the back seats or watching them stumbling across the leather and paint work on a regular basis. 

gsf?

barry

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. 
unfortunately funds won’t allow for me to hop into an rcf or gsf otherwise I would have definitely been up for consideration. 4 doors would certainly be preferable due to kids and child seats. 

I had a spin in a friends abath 595 comp just before lockdown and the ride in that was quite fidgety. Wife did not approve but really the seats in that car were just too over hugging. I’ve also had a EK9 type r with coil overs - that was also pretty harsh and she basically refused get in it unless there was no other choice but that was a very raw car. 

Definitely not expecting XC90 levels of comfort but having a crashy ride becomes tiresome on British roads. I suppose it is hard to quantify as it is a very subjective experience.  

@mikey236 looks like the early isf model wont be an option if a ?stock abarth comp did not get an approval due to ride quality :s

or you can budget for air suspension/ tein edfc system

I know it's all opinion but I genuinely don't get the bad comments about the ride in an ISF, for me it was at least on par with what I would expect a performance saloon to ride like. I find it rides better than my Golf R that I had they they get good write ups on the whole.

The ISF is stiff but I've had it on some bumpy B roads at speed and it damped successive bumps really well, my golfs suspension couldnt keep up on the same bumps and actually coil bound itself quite often. My missus commented on how well the car rode and said it's the comfiest car I've had in a long while. 

My car is on Michelin PS4S tyres, which came on the car but coincidentally tend to be my go to and these have improved the ride on other cars I've had (well at least the PS4 model) 

I'm in the North East or you'd have been more than welcome to a go!

Scott 

• Like 1

Hi mate, 

I'm in Hitchin and would gladly oblige but mine is so far from stock you'd have no idea what a stock one actually rides like from being in mine. 

Having owned many performance BMWs and Mercedes as well as Mk4 and Mk5 R32 Golfs what I can tell you is that the ISF on stock suspension is no worse than any of the usual suspects. Before I went to Airlift I had Tein Springs in stock 2009 dampers and the ride was significantly smoother. A mere £300 to make the change. 

Yes, there are a few issues emerging with age but for what you can buy one for, even if you factor in the cost of the preventative work, they are still a very cheap and highly reliable ride. 

Good luck with the hunt 😁

IMG_20200405_191136_194.thumb.jpg.ccdd1c99d1769b10405b316575567556.jpg

My Wife complains a lot but not about the ride quality of the ISF. 🤣 Mind you we nipped out in her 4 year Cleo 2 weeks ago and I asked "how long has it been making that cluncking noise".  Replacing 1 broken and 1 cracked front springs sorted that and she still cant tell the difference with the radio on. 😭

That aside even an early ISF isnt harsh, firm but not harsh so you shouldn't be worried.

How many have had the Valley plate issue over here? I cant think of any.

Certainly been more instances of a cracked manifold. Which is obvious from the ticking on idle.

The radiator issue is the only one I would be wary of, which is just down to age but can have quite catastrphic consequences due to design. Easy to solve with some preventative maintenance though and would be quite cost effective at a non franchise dealer.

4 hours ago, C.B said:

How many have had the Valley plate issue over here? I cant think of any.

Certainly been more instances of a cracked manifold. Which is obvious from the ticking on idle.

The radiator issue is the only one I would be wary of, which is just down to age but can have quite catastrphic consequences due to design. Easy to solve with some preventative maintenance though and would be quite cost effective at a non franchise dealer.

Steering rack too, mine is on the way out 🙄

Whats the signs? Mines always felt a little heavy, but its from a time before manufacturers decided everyone wants to be able to drive with their little finger!

The IS-F does have a firm ride - they all do irrespective of it being a later model.

Having said that, unless you really struggle with the likes of a bad back, I’d say the IS-F ride is acceptable.

As for the Abarth..... 🙈  What a crock of ****. Harsh ride, torque steer and fidgety. Great induction noise however.

3 hours ago, C.B said:

Whats the signs? Mines always felt a little heavy, but its from a time before manufacturers decided everyone wants to be able to drive with their little finger!

Unfathomable rattle through the wheel over cobblestones and rumble strips, like when your drop links go on your e36 and e46 BMWs. Small amounts of play detected in the rack, rack ends, track rod ends and stab links but all "within tolerances". Starting from the outside and working my way in with the rack last. Let's see which it is 🙄🙄🙄🙄

£1k to do everything up to the rack at Lexus, £500 at and Indy. 

Rack is a last resort but tbh, the amount of smiles per mile I've had in 3 years is well worth a small amount of cost. I'd have normally lost double the amount every year swapping cars out. Totally happy where I am. 

• Like 3

I recently returned from Spain, 2600 miles in my 2008 ISF.....the ride comfort wasn’t an issue BUT their roads put ours to shame, as for issues the valley plate seems to effect the US cars, the heat must play a part as the car in Spain wasn’t as nimble as it is here, there’s a lot of US cars tracked and I assume this is probably a contributing factor along with the heat, I know of a German ISF with the rad issue BUT this is also a regular around the Nurburgring, I think the biggest issue is something very hard to know and that’s how the cars been looked after and driven by the previous owners, yes they’re built to withstand hard driving BUT if it’s relentless it’ll take its toll in time, I’ve had mine 5 years and apart from the odd road imperfections I’ve never had an issue with suspension, I have had the manifold issue which is the most common fault, I’d go for aftermarket ones or GSF manifolds (on mine) BUT these would have to be installed by an Indy as Lexus will not fit GSF parts or aftermarket ones to an ISF.

5 years on and she still makes me smile.

good luck with your hunt.

• Like 1

thanks for all the great feedback - will add steering rack on the to look out for list! I think I am probably over worrying about the suspension issue, and as said, changing the springs is certainly a viable and cheap "fix"

@Therickster Thanks so much for the offer, that would be great - I'll ping you a PM and organise something suitable.

@NothernDan - Surprised I haven't seen your car about as I work in Hitchin. Do you still have the H&S system installed? I think this is one mod I am pretty much sold on listening to various youtube clips!.

1 hour ago, mikey236 said:

thanks for all the great feedback - will add steering rack on the to look out for list! I think I am probably over worrying about the suspension issue, and as said, changing the springs is certainly a viable and cheap "fix"

@Therickster Thanks so much for the offer, that would be great - I'll ping you a PM and organise something suitable.

@NothernDan - Surprised I haven't seen your car about as I work in Hitchin. Do you still have the H&S system installed? I think this is one mod I am pretty much sold on listening to various youtube clips!.

Hi mate! 

It's a small world!!

If you've listened to any of the YouTube clips then two of them are mine with my car pre-modifications! The H&S was the first thing I did on mine, a week after I bought it.

Are you back at work now, would be happy to arrange a meet so you can hear the exhaust in the flesh, sounds so much nicer than in the videos 😍

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 9:35 PM, NothernDan said:

Hi mate! 

It's a small world!!

If you've listened to any of the YouTube clips then two of them are mine with my car pre-modifications! The H&S was the first thing I did on mine, a week after I bought it.

Are you back at work now, would be happy to arrange a meet so you can hear the exhaust in the flesh, sounds so much nicer than in the videos 😍

I have indeed stumbled upon your you tube clips! It sounds very fruity and would def be interested to hear it real world. I'm mostly working from home, but I do head into the office usually once a week. It's a bit sporadic at the moment, pretty sure I'll be going in next week, but I'll def. chuck you a PM and see if you're free when I do go in

Cheers

On 9/4/2020 at 10:43 AM, mikey236 said:

I have indeed stumbled upon your you tube clips! It sounds very fruity and would def be interested to hear it real world. I'm mostly working from home, but I do head into the office usually once a week. It's a bit sporadic at the moment, pretty sure I'll be going in next week, but I'll def. chuck you a PM and see if you're free when I do go in

Cheers

😉

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links