Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

4th Gen RX450h Catalytic Converter Thefts?

A few days ago I put this enquiry on the NX section but now also want to ask RX450h 4th Gen owners.  I'm considering buying either a 4 year old NX or a 4 year old RX450h. The answers on the NX section suggest that no NX owners on the forum have had their catalytic converter stolen and that the cat(s) are up in the engine bay and are difficult to access by thieves. I'd like to hear from 4th Gen RX450h owners if they have/have not had a catalytic converter stolen and also if anyone knows if the cat(s) are located out of sight as on the NX. Thanks.

• Like 3

Your answer's here Jeff:

UPDATE!  Apologies for the 'bum steer' with the wrong thread.

(Note to self: "Pay more attention to the model details!")

Edited by Illogan
Self correction!

5 hours ago, Illogan said:

Your answer's here Jeff:

Thanks but it is the Series/Generation 4 RX450h under consideration i.e. the latest shape from 2016 to 2020.

On 3/15/2019 at 6:58 PM, Charlie1955 said:

Hi, just information for Rx 450 owners. Last Saturday night my car was parked in a car park in Retford and an attempt was made to steal the catalytic converter from my car. An angle grinder was used to cut through the clips and then the front exhaust but they also cut through the pipe containing the engine cooling system. Quote from Lexus for new exhaust and catalytic converter was £3800, luckily my Lexus Independent garage managed to weld the exhaust and the coolant pipe at a cost of £336.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billgatesisaconman said:
On 3/15/2019 at 6:58 PM, Charlie1955 said:

Hi, just information for Rx 450 owners. Last Saturday night my car was parked in a car park in Retford and an attempt was made to steal the catalytic converter from my car. An angle grinder was used to cut through the clips and then the front exhaust but they also cut through the pipe containing the engine cooling system. Quote from Lexus for new exhaust and catalytic converter was £3800, luckily my Lexus Independent garage managed to weld the exhaust and the coolant pipe at a cost of £336.

That was a series III. Not sure the series IV is wildly different but would be good to confirm.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 9:45 PM, ColinBarber said:

That was a series III. Not sure the series IV is wildly different but would be good to confirm.

Hi Colin, I would also like to confirm this, I've been thinking of changing to a series IV or V and it would help me make my mind up which is the better option, I did have a bit of a look for some exhaust diagrams but didn't find much, I am guessing but from what I've read I don't think theres much difference between the series III and IV other than a facelift, the suspension and a few other bits ...

On 8/29/2020 at 3:31 PM, billgatesisaconman said:

Hi Colin, I would also like to confirm this, I've been thinking of changing to a series IV or V and it would help me make my mind up which is the better option, I did have a bit of a look for some exhaust diagrams but didn't find much, I am guessing but from what I've read I don't think theres much difference between the series III and IV other than a facelift, the suspension and a few other bits ...

The current series IV, available in 2016 and facelifted in 2019, is as you say similar to the previous series III - same engine (just reworked) and same platform (wheelbase slightly extended).

From what I can see on the parts diagram there is a greater distance from the cat to the main silencer but I cannot tell if that means the cat is further forward or the main silencer has moved back from the centre of the vehicle. If it is the former then it may be more difficult to cut the exhaust in front of the cat.

The all-new series V is expected in 2023.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 7:02 PM, ColinBarber said:

The current series IV, available in 2016 and facelifted in 2019, is as you say similar to the previous series III - same engine (just reworked) and same platform (wheelbase slightly extended).

From what I can see on the parts diagram there is a greater distance from the cat to the main silencer but I cannot tell if that means the cat is further forward or the main silencer has moved back from the centre of the vehicle. If it is the former then it may be more difficult to cut the exhaust in front of the cat.

The all-new series V is expected in 2023.

Thanks Colin, I have to say though I'm reluctant to part with my series II, I still love it and I can't find anything that I want to throw that much cash at  ... can I ask what you are driving now and is there anything that would tempt you?

On 9/2/2020 at 11:12 AM, billgatesisaconman said:

can I ask what you are driving now and is there anything that would tempt you?

Driving is the wrong word as my car hasn't done more the 100 miles since the start of the lockdown but I own a GS F. I use my wife's Prius for local journeys - interested in the new Rav4 plugin as a replacement for the Prius but fear it will be too expensive, maybe I'll look at an early series IV RX.

I challenged my local dealer (Twickenham)  on this issue  specifically for the gen 4 RX, and the response I got was:

1. The primary cats are located high up in the engine bay and probably quite difficult to access.

2. There is a secondary cat under the car which is used for "advanced engine heating" (?)  and which apparently does not contain  as much precious metal  as previous generations, so of less interest to thieves.

3. Lexus are not aware of the 4th gen RX being targeted and so are not developing any protection devices.

It might be worth asking the question of your local dealer to see what their story is.

Has anyone on here had a gen 4 RX cat stolen?

1. This is the same for all the RX hybrids. The primary cats aren't the ones that get stolen, just the secondary.

The secondary cat as much closer to the front of the vehicle compared to the RX400h, so may be difficult/impossible to cut the front off.

2. Newer cats are less valuable but do the people purchasing them know the difference? Would they tell the difference from a series II, III or IV cat if it was just handed to them without seeing the vehicle it has come from?

Not Gen4 but I had the cat converter stolen from my Gen3 450h (2011) last night which I'm still raging about. Took them less than a minute.

Lexus main dealer gave some figure around 2k to repair as this is apparently "not a problem with 450h that they have seen" so no 750 repair cost like the 400h. Costs likely to skyrocket as the c###s also look to have cut something else which was leaking reddy/pink liquid.

My question is, when I get it fixed, would this newer Catloc for the 400h fit on the 450h model I have?

spacer.png

I'm on a super quiet residential street well off the main road with a dead end so not a drive by, they know where I am and where to check back. Not going to do this twice so if there's nothing to be done, I'll prob have to part exchange my lovely 450h for something else lower to the floor and lower down the theft pecking order....

I don't blame you for feeling rage Aaron, just check with your neighbours to see if anyone has CCTV of a suspect ...(you never know!)

Like you, I live at the end of an extremely quiet road, and I've resigned myself  that come the day when some little scrote helps himself to my Cat., then I will have a piece of pipe made to replace it, without a cat. - for what isn't there cannot be stolen!

Thanks for the reply IIIogan

Checked CCTV from multiple neighbors, licence plate covered, masks on. One of the neighbors yelled at them from the loft (was 1am) and they yelled back, Eastern European accents for whatever that's worth.

I thought if I got a straight pipe welded in place of the Cat, I'd fail my MOT? Even though it's not emissions tested, it still has to be there?

On 9/3/2020 at 6:25 PM, ColinBarber said:

Driving is the wrong word as my car hasn't done more the 100 miles since the start of the lockdown but I own a GS F. I use my wife's Prius for local journeys - interested in the new Rav4 plugin as a replacement for the Prius but fear it will be too expensive, maybe I'll look at an early series IV RX.

Yes, buy a series IV RX the you can tel us all your opinion on the underneath vulnerability of the CATS 😀

9 hours ago, Aaronc said:

My question is, when I get it fixed, would this newer Catloc for the 400h fit on the 450h model I have?

I think that was the old one which causes noise when driving. Either way the 400h catloc won't fit on a 450h.

Just don't replace the cat, get a straight piece of pipe welded in. The secondary cat isn't needed for emissions once the main cats are up to temperature and emissions isn't checked on hybrids during the MOT anyway.

Thanks for the reply Colin.

I seriously looked in to having a straight pipe welded as it would be ideal for future piece of mind but apparently it is illegal and I would fail an MOT according to the Indy Lexus garage I spoke to.

I have a last hope with another garage who do the metal cages possibly, I guess it would be bespoke for a 450h.

To be honest, the hassle and anxiety  just doesn't seem worth it. Ultimately I think I'll get it done at the dealers and trade in for something else which is quite sad really but I've given up now.

Before you go ahead and get rid of a car you obviously like try these people:

http://www.catsafe.org.uk/

I haven't any experience of this product  but it looks like a universal fit and  might discourage  the criminal with  an angle grinder.

3 hours ago, 08ISF said:

Before you go ahead and get rid of a car you obviously like try these people:

http://www.catsafe.org.uk/

I haven't any experience of this product  but it looks like a universal fit and  might discourage  the criminal with  an angle grinder.

Isn't this the type that has been found to be ineffective on the RX400 and also the extra weight increases noise and vibration.  What is needed is a cage that does not touch any part of the exhaust but allows sufficient, though very minimal movement of the exhaust to stop contact with it.

35 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

Isn't this the type that has been found to be ineffective on the RX400 and also the extra weight increases noise and vibration.  What is needed is a cage that does not touch any part of the exhaust but allows sufficient, though very minimal movement of the exhaust to stop contact with it.

Yeah, that's correct Barry. The ones at Catsafe are like the first lot of Catlocs that Lexus made for CT and RX400h but they had all the problems you mentioned.

The "newer" catloc for the 400h is this one

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rx/lexus-rx-phase-ii-2004-2008/lexus-rx-2-exterior-interior/lexus-rx-phase-2-catalytic-converter-lock/

which is a cage  that is bolted to the chassis but as per Colin, it does not look like it will fit the 450h and they have not made a similar product for Gen3+

Still waiting to hear back from an Indy garage if I can get a custom one made...

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

Any update with this?

Yeah! It's been a minute but for Dylan (or anyone else that might come across this)...

The Indy garage never got back to me.

My wife called the Lexus Head office or something and went through the various teams asking if there was a 450H variant of the "cage" type catloc and at some point one of the team's told her there was but it wasn't being sold yet, only one other person had one in the UK and it was noisy, due to the pandemic they couldn't get it back in to test so they couldn't sell them. Basically pestered them into sourcing one from the wherever they were being manufactured and fitting for us.

It looks like it's for general sale from Lexus now:

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rx/lexus-rx-phase-iii-2009-2015/lexus-rx-3-engine-service-kits/lexus-rx-phase-3-catalytic-converter-lock/

It is a bit funny on. Usually quiet but you get random vibration and noises, usually when braking, sometimes sitting in reverse, turning a slow corner etc. Had it back to Lexus and "it is what it is, a metal cage around another piece of metal, it will make noise sometimes"

I've come to live with it, it's not noisy all the time or anything so good enough and (knock on wood!!!) no one's had another go so far even as the cat converter thefts continue around my area.

Hope thats helpful for anyone looking.

• Like 2

I spoke with Lexus technical regarding this. On the 4th generation (which I own) the cars are not been targeted due to the location of the catalytic convertor in the engine bay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1