Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extended Warranty

wendle

I think i have decided what to do , but I am just interested to hear the opinions of others, i understand that peace of mind plays a part.

BUT would you take out the extended warranty for £2350 for 2 years if.....

your car insurance already includes break down cover

you car has less than 6000 miles on the clock

you only do 2000 miles a year.

I don't quite understand why the RC-F is only £995 for 2 years, i would have thought that 80% of the major components are the same

I have spoken to Lexus, and at this point in time they don't have any planes to alter the cost. 

That price would certainly put me off an LC500 as a next car. I think they are either betting that the LC will be a lot more unreliable, or they are choosing to extract more ££££s because they perceive LC owners can afford it. Neither are palatable conclusions.

No offence meant but why would you spend all that money buying a car like that and then only use it for 2,000 miles a year?

That's like a dragon sitting on its hoard of gems but doing nothing else with them. Life is not a rehearsal for next time you come along, get out and enjoy it now while you can because you never know what's round the corner.

Like I said, no offence meant but I'm just acutely aware of how fragile life is. A few months ago my wife's cousin, a fit, healthy and agile 39-year old, was in conversation with a mate of his, laughing and joking when he just fell down and was dead before he hit the floor.

A painting or a sculpture gives pleasure by looking at it and can do nothing else except be looked at, but a car is meant to be driven and used or the next owner will get all the pleasure that you never did.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

No offence meant but why would you spend all that money buying a car like that and then only use it for 2,000 miles a year?

That's like a dragon sitting on its hoard of gems but doing nothing else with them. Life is not a rehearsal for next time you come along, get out and enjoy it now while you can because you never know what's round the corner.

Like I said, no offence meant but I'm just acutely aware of how fragile life is. A few months ago my wife's cousin, a fit, healthy and agile 39-year old, was in conversation with a mate of his, laughing and joking when he just fell down and was dead before he hit the floor.

A painting or a sculpture gives pleasure by looking at it and can do nothing else except be looked at, but a car is meant to be driven and used or the next owner will get all the pleasure that you never did.

No offence taken, and i understand were you are coming from, the LC is my daily drive but i only work 4 days a week, and a 6 mile round trip, I do own another car which i use on occasions when the LC would not be practical, going to the dump, running my 87 year old mum around, shopping car parks. and as i get most local trains for  free and 75% off all the others i find it just as easy to go by train.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

But without people like this, i would never be able to buy a low mileage used example in the future when the price falls within an affordable range for me.

just saying...

barry

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cactus said:

But without people like this, i would never be able to buy a low mileage used example in the future when the price falls within an affordable range for me.

just saying...

barry

ill give you a ring in 5 years Barry with a really good deal 😀

• Haha 1

I have always extend the warranty on all of our Lexus cars, mainly for piece of mind but also because they are such good value.  However if I had an LC500, I think I would just put that money away in savings, in case something went wrong. 

Our GSF is my daily drive but it only does about 3500 miles a year. Every one of them is an event that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed,  so I have no issue with not clocking up more miles. Our RX is used for racking those up with the kids and school run. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2020 at 11:03 AM, wendle said:

I think i have decided what to do , but I am just interested to hear the opinions of others, i understand that peace of mind plays a part.

BUT would you take out the extended warranty for £2350 for 2 years if.....

your car insurance already includes break down cover

you car has less than 6000 miles on the clock

you only do 2000 miles a year.

I don't quite understand why the RC-F is only £995 for 2 years, i would have thought that 80% of the major components are the same

I have spoken to Lexus, and at this point in time they don't have any planes to alter the cost. 

I recently was in the same predicament as you and decided to take out the 2 year extended warranty for piece of mind. The replacement parts on the LC is ridiculously high. So my thinking is it will pay off in the long run to have the EW. 😀