Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Side lights bulb upgrade

Sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find this subject anywhere. I've noticed the sidelight bulb on the 2nd gen IS is rather more than disappointing so I'm going to change mine but to what I don't know. I know its a twist out from the top inside of the headlight and that's its like a spade fit. What upgrade bulb is available as the ones I've seen on eBay are for the 3rd gen.

All advice welcome. 

I've used this type. Had them in there over 4 maybe even 5 years I'd guess.

Called something along the lines of T10 Cree LED wedge bulb.

s-l1600.jpg

Don't try this type (as below)...the body melts from the main bulb heat!!

2-x-501-T10-W5-LED-5-SMD-WHITE-XENON-Side-Light-Interior-Numberplate-Bulbs-a

Search eBay and you'll find loads!! Price has plummeted over time.

• Like 1

W5W wedge bulb. LEDs with a temperature rating of 6000K look best, imo.

Buy at least 4 of them and you'll also be able to improve the puddle lights in the mirrors as they're the same size.

I'd say no. Its the actual connector foot that for me is the problem.

My son had that type for his Audi. In the Audi they worked fine. In my Lexus I could not get 1 to work.

The type I have in many places on my car, are all exactly like the connector foot in my picture. I have them in the sidelights, puddle lights, vanity mirrors and dome light at the front.

These are the ones I have in my puddle lights. If they fit in there, then they ought to be fine in a headlight.

Link

Those particular OSRAMs are on the expensive side, but are high quality (6 year warranty) and brighter than normal.

LEDs-09.thumb.jpg.04ccde5e383a557bb56efef7d3ab9467.jpg

Blimey John those Osrams are illegal for road use according to the ad from your link lol. 

Those you linked Normski well there's only 2 left and I don't fancy waiting for the slow ship from China. I've ordered similar tho and canbus safe. Aluminium casing so shouldn't melt.

Thanks again guys 

• 1 month later...

Well an update. Yesterday I finally got round to fitting the new sidelight bulbs. Driver side went ok. Passenger side wow what a squeeze because of the wiring loom to get the cover off and back on. Anyway I got them fitted and WOW what a difference. Wish I started the car then because come this morning oh no car would've start on first try. It started on the second but the dreaded Check VSC came on. Really disheartened me. When I get back home I'm going to try the disconnect Battery for 30 seconds and see if that resets etc. If that fails then back to standard bulbs and find another set. What gets me is that the bulbs I got clearly stated canbus safe etc etc. Why make cars so touchy to small mods.

• Sad 1

I'm pretty sure our cars are not affected by any Canbus issues..... at least as far as my experiences have been thus far. I'd be very surprised if the bulbs have thrown up a VSC issue. Are you sure you haven't inadvertently knocked anything whilst changing the bulbs. Bonnet shut properly?

The only thing I would say is... The type of bulbs you got with the different blade end.... I could not get them to work anywhere on my car. Worked in my son's Audi but not my Lexus. But hey you found they worked. Are they both still illuminating? 

Strange

• Like 1

If they're LEDs remember that they're polarity-conscious, so try them the other way round if you haven't done that already. Also you may have a faulty bulb - being brand new isn't a guarantee that it's not faulty.

I bought some cheapies many years ago for my side lights, brighter than the old bulbs but you could see the light “streaks” from the individual LEDs. They have been flickering for a few years now as the LEDs become dry jointed ( lead free Chinese solder?) but again passed the MOT.

Easy to replace so just ordered the same as you Vladimir, no Canbus problems on mine to worry about and hoping the light pattern is better and they remain flicker free however the “2 year warranty” should be fun if needed 😀

I did fit some interior lighting LEDs at the same time but the cheap design took out my £300.00 “Integration Relay” which I fortunately managed to repair myself for 50p so reverted back to filament bulbs.

Thanks for your replies but as for polarity the bulbs worked. I've gone back to standard bulbs and disconnected the Battery for a minute but alas VSC is on and the engine orange light. Car runs ruddy awful so off to a garage to see if they've got a code reader. 

Update. I feel absolutely stupid lol. I forgot the plug that goes onto the air inlet pipe was off (I was going to take the airbox and pipe off to do drivers side bulb but found i didn't need to). Car runs sweet. I disconnected the Battery again to put the LED bulbs in. All works well except my radio display now is on a repeat initialization. Its lashing outside now so ill wait to sort the radio display. Audio and climate display work. I'll take the nav CD out and put back in. Its an up to date copy one but a good one. Thanks again for your replies guys 👍

• Like 2

Update again lol. Satnav screen up now. Happy bunny (makes a change lol). Weird how one thing upsets something totally unrelated which proves everything in our cars are related and can screw thing up you wouldn't suspect. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links