Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2013 RX Ride Quality

Our RX is on steel springs and coming up for 110,000 miles. It seems to pick up every imperfection in the road surface at low speeds and while the body control is fairly soft and floating, there is a lot of intrusion from the road surface. 

We're on the 19inch wheels which I assume don't help. Has anyone had any success in improving the ride? Would better dampers soften it up a bit?

Plush ride = strike me down god now but cross climates are a highly recommended tyre on here for quiet running just play around with the pressures recommended pressure by the manufacturer is just that 30-40psi depending how smooth or sporty you want your drive.

• Like 1

There would be a manufacturer's opinion that your dampers are well past their best at 110k miles but they tend to get softer over time so replacing them with standard OEM ones probably won't solve your issue. Most, if not all, aftermarket shocks would be stiffer to cater for the performance market and improve handling so I won't think you will find softer ones (unless the OEM US ones are softer), and you would need to replace the springs as well.

The best way to improve things is to move to 18" wheels, and/or lower your tyre pressures a little.

• Like 1

Ride on mine isn't great and it's done less than 40k, and it was no better when I bought it with around 24k. My '92 LS400 is much better.....

I believe 18" wheels only came on the gen RX on the rare entry-level SE model, although I'd imagine those from an earlier 400 may well fit (but check first!).

• Like 1

Thanks folks. What's the minimum tyre pressures we can run? I have it at 33/34 at the moment.

It's due an MOT in November, so I'll ask the dealer to check the rear suspension. There's a bit of a squelchy, creaky sound from the rear when coming off a speed bump or similar so I suspect the dampers may be tired. We have the extended warranty so it's worth getting it looked at I guess.

It's a shame the low speed ride is a bit rough as the car is superb in every other way. But then, if our roads were better, it wouldn't matter!

• Like 1

The Michelin Cross Climates also greatly improved the ride quality on my RX450h but as a generalization I don't think SUV's ride as well as Lexus or other Premium saloons.  My daughter has a 7 seater Kia Sorento and the ride is not brilliant too.

I suppose these are big, heavy things with the centre of gravity at a less than optimum height, so the springs need to be firm enough to keep it under control and give handling that's as car-like as possible. I can see it being a tough compromise to reach - if it was too soft then it would feel like it was wallowing around on the bends.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2010, 78k, the ride quality is pretty poor, it wallows about at the back. I had the rear shocks replaced at my local garage with standard lexus shocks. It made very little difference. I think that the springs are weakened or were never firm enough. I'm still working on the problem. I'm probably going to replace the springs but might try to get some stringer/stiffer springs as I tow  a caravan

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links